how can i find out what my engine is?

kyle_95
This post is 4715 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive taken apart my dt and found out that it has a malaguti s.p.a frame, so i google'd 'malaguti s.p.a' and it came up a bike that looked alot similar to mine, could yamaha of bought a malaguti s.p.a and did somethings diffrent and then sold it as a yamaha? and if so, does anyone know a webasite that i can check my engine number on? the number is am6 147a 012006 thankss in advance, kyle.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As Yamaha supply engines to Malaguti it is not unreasonable for Malaguti to produce bikes badged Yamaha (as do MBK, Yamaha owned, and Rieju in Spain) it makes economic sense to build bikes in Europe to save tax/import duties but you do loose some quality for some reason. This badge engineering goes on all over the shop ... perhaps google Daihatsu Hijet & Piaggio Porter you will find it is the same van & the Daihatsu was built in Italy ... you just never know what you are buying :blink:

yeah, when i saw it said 'malaguti s.p.a' i started to get really angry because i thought someone had just sold me a malaguti claiming it was a yamaha, well atleast i know know, i had an ideea that yamaha bought the bikes off malaguti and then just re baged them <_<

More commonly, small manufacturers buy the design off the big companies and make their stuff to the same design (often with cheaper/crappier materials and lower build quality).

Jin Cheng do this for Hondas, especially the 50cc Monkey Bikes.

Daewoo also did this with things like the Vauxhall Astra.

It's even possible that your bike was built by Malaguti using a mix of Yammie and their own parts, or that you have a genuine Yammie that had it's frame replaced with a Malaguti.

ive taken apart my dt and found out that it has a malaguti s.p.a frame, so i google'd 'malaguti s.p.a' and it came up a bike that looked alot similar to mine, could yamaha of bought a malaguti s.p.a and did somethings diffrent and then sold it as a yamaha? and if so, does anyone know a webasite that i can check my engine number on? the number is am6 147a 012006 thankss in advance, kyle.

Hi Kyle,

Theres a few manufacturers that use the same AM6 unit in their 50cc geared bikes, Peugeot,Derbi,Aprilia, Rieju,Motorhispania, being a few off the top of my head, it's a sturdy engine and plenty of scope to play around with and get a little more poke out of it, but do remember most insurance companies are keen on any modifications done to bikes, basically so they can wriggle out of paying, with regards to claims.

Hope this helps Nev