Help / Advice needed please

This post is 4737 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 1982 Yamaha DT50MX for a first bike (as a 16 year old), and seem to have a reoccurring fault;

It starts fine (1st or 2nd kick) and will run and rev normally, until after about 6-7 minuites (after the engine becomes warm it seems) it will start to stutter and eventually die. It then cannot be started again until cold, unless bump started.

So far, we have made sure there is sufficient petrol and 2 stroke oil. Taken apart the carb and replaced the pilot jet, and adjusted the carb settings multiple times. I also cannot seem to find a similar problem in the haynes manual.

Any advice will be much appreciated, cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 1982 Yamaha DT50MX for a first bike (as a 16 year old), and seem to have a reoccurring fault;

It starts fine (1st or 2nd kick) and will run and rev normally, until after about 6-7 minuites (after the engine becomes warm it seems) it will start to stutter and eventually die. It then cannot be started again until cold, unless bump started.

So far, we have made sure there is sufficient petrol and 2 stroke oil. Taken apart the carb and replaced the pilot jet, and adjusted the carb settings multiple times. I also cannot seem to find a similar problem in the haynes manual.

Any advice will be much appreciated, cheers

19982DT50MXowner

Forum ettiquette dictates that your first post should be in the new members bit, introduce yourself,tell us a bit about your bike, maybe even pictures, but to first come on here and ask advice, well you'll be waiting a long, long time for an answer mate.

BTW barkwindjammer been meaning to ask you, is that your staffy? or just used pic cos it's funny? cos mines a double of that one, but has greyer dreads, as he's knocking on for 11

Hi Nev, nah its just a pic m8-would love to have another dog, the last one fell off the roof rack :(

19982DT50MXowner

Forum ettiquette dictates that your first post should be in the new members bit, introduce yourself,tell us a bit about your bike, maybe even pictures, but to first come on here and ask advice, well you'll be waiting a long, long time for an answer mate.

BTW barkwindjammer been meaning to ask you, is that your staffy? or just used pic cos it's funny? cos mines a double of that one, but has greyer dreads, as he's knocking on for 11

Oh, okay, my bad :)

I just thought it was a forum to post yamaha related queries, and probably get the most knowlegable responses in a relitivly quick time :)

Cheers anyway

Hi Nev, nah its just a pic m8-would love to have another dog, the last one fell off the roof rack :(

I think mines not got too long left, he's been ill a couple of weeks now, and it's killing me getting up at 5.00am to bark at the postman :o

Oh, okay, my bad :)

I just thought it was a forum to post yamaha related queries, and probably get the most knowlegable responses in a relitivly quick time :)

Cheers anyway

Er, it is. You will find a lot of forums nowadays actually vet your first 5 maybe 10 posts to make sure....

1 You are a real person not some computer program

2 Your asking sensible questions not just rambling or stiring trouble

The YOC does none of that, we basically trust that human nature being what it is the genuine folk will take the time to say hi, and speaking frankly. The tossers won't be arsed and will clear off and spoil somebody elses forum.

The best analogy i have heard is this. Imagine the forum is a group of mates talking bikes in a pub, you wouldn't pile straight in and want them to tell you the answer to your problems. You would say hi and have a chat first. Same here.

A lot of people on here have had the little DT's and you are asking them to go out of there way just a little to help, but not willing to go out of YOUR way to give just a little info.

Er, it is. You will find a lot of forums nowadays actually vet your first 5 maybe 10 posts to make sure....

1 You are a real person not some computer program

2 Your asking sensible questions not just rambling or stiring trouble

The YOC does none of that, we basically trust that human nature being what it is the genuine folk will take the time to say hi, and speaking frankly. The tossers won't be arsed and will clear off and spoil somebody elses forum.

The best analogy i have heard is this. Imagine the forum is a group of mates talking bikes in a pub, you wouldn't pile straight in and want them to tell you the answer to your problems. You would say hi and have a chat first. Same here.

A lot of people on here have had the little DT's and you are asking them to go out of there way just a little to help, but not willing to go out of YOUR way to give just a little info.

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit slow here, but, and i acknowledge i havn't done it specifically in the new member section, i have introduced myself and my DT, aswell as abit of background info, as well as my problem.

I really hope that hasn't jeopardised my chances of finding a solution to the problem, and that if anyone that can help see's this, your input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit slow here, but, and i acknowledge i havn't done it specifically in the new member section, i have introduced myself and my DT, aswell as abit of background info, as well as my problem.

I really hope that hasn't jeopardised my chances of finding a solution to the problem, and that if anyone that can help see's this, your input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

It just helps us help you, things like your general location, are you any good with the spanners, as you used the ubiqitous 'we' in your OP i'm guessing your relying on reinforcements at the moment.

Here are a few basics, post the results.

Change the plug, that is the first thing when a bike engine buggers around regardless. (don't sling the old one though)

What is the old plug like, wet? black? brown tan? white? pink with invisible fairy spots?

Can you be certain the choke is going on and off, i don't mean the knob moving but the actuall process, ie you need it to start and you can hear the engine change when you opperate it on and off.

Welcome to the boards, if your botherd. The fact you didn't get the arse and persevered makes you ok in my book. Any tosser can give up. B)

I think mines not got too long left, he's been ill a couple of weeks now, and it's killing me getting up at 5.00am to bark at the postman :o

I hope he doesn't expect you to sniff other dogs ar5es for him too , unless ................................. oh never mind ;)

Cheers

As Cynic says.

The Haynes manual normally has colour pictures of what a plug should look like if it is OK. Check you have the right plug spec in there. It should have a number on it and some run hotter or colder. Is the fuel pipe standard as hot engines can evaporate petrol causing starvation, The old chestnut of an air lock. when the bike cuts out undo the petrol cap and see if there is a suction noise. Check the float height in the carb and make sure that the float is moving freely.

I hope he doesn't expect you to sniff other dogs ar5es for him too , unless ................................. oh never mind ;)

Eeeeeeewwwww DT really!!!! mind you I did watch him lick his balls once and said to the missus how much I'd like to be able to do that, she reckoned if I chucked him a bone he might let me :blink:

As Cynic says.

The Haynes manual normally has colour pictures of what a plug should look like if it is OK. Check you have the right plug spec in there. It should have a number on it and some run hotter or colder. Is the fuel pipe standard as hot engines can evaporate petrol causing starvation, The old chestnut of an air lock. when the bike cuts out undo the petrol cap and see if there is a suction noise. Check the float height in the carb and make sure that the float is moving freely.

I f still no joy after you've tried what Cynic and DT have suggested, have a look at the HT lead and cap, it's more than likely its the original 82 setup so may need replacing, if its solid twisted copper wire in the HTlead go for the coil, if its graphite in the HT lead it could be breaking up, just a thought.

Eeeeeeewwwww DT really!!!! mind you I did watch him lick his balls once and said to the missus how much I'd like to be able to do that, she reckoned if I chucked him a bone he might let me :blink:

I wouldn't bother. After you have done it, he will never call you :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online