DT 175 MX Rebuild/Electrics

philmountains
This post is 4717 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just got back from Rufforth Auto jumble Nr York,well glad I did,nt travel along way ,saying that was worth entrance fee of £4.00 picked up a pair of nice Renthal bars for 6 quid ,a new DT MX 6volt battery for 12 quid inc acid(the only thing ticked of my list!),and poss best buy DT175 MX front exhaust pipe for a fiver,back mounting lug cut off but very little rust and never repaired so was def worth a punt, I was not 100% sure it was a DT exhaust but suppose thats the thing with Autojumble you take the chance.

well back to Ebay.

By the way got a responce from a breaker in the US for a pair of forks $150 + shipping he,s having a laugh !!!!

Don't worry about the rear mount mine has not had the bracket that it fits to in my ownership and i've never had any issues. Its probably a lot easier to fit with the lug cut off TBH.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A plea to old git ,you don't by any chance have a pic/diagram of the wiring inside the headlight have connected most multi plugs up but still left with a load of wires ? only thing that have not got yet that goes into shell is a front brake light switch harness but have one ordered so that will fingers crossed get shut of a few wires, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Phil

By the your last diagrams were a great help thanks

A plea to old git ,you don't by any chance have a pic/diagram of the wiring inside the headlight have connected most multi plugs up but still left with a load of wires ? only thing that have not got yet that goes into shell is a front brake light switch harness but have one ordered so that will fingers crossed get shut of a few wires, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Phil

By the your last diagrams were a great help thanks

Sorry Phil there isnt one, you just have to go off the wiring diagram, If you're struggling tell is what colours and what connectors, example 'Red Male Bullet'

Sorry Phil thereisn'tt one, you just have to go off the wiring diagram, If you're struggling tell is what colours and what connectors, example 'Red Male Bullet'

Thanks for your help Old git have taken a few pics ,I reckon I have a harness missing "at least one" have taken a few pics but have to get of to work so will upload later .

by the way think I might change my name to old git 2 as whilst searching cupboard at work found the Dt coil been looking for for a couple of weeks and 2 x rear break light switches and a rectifier which I both ordered new last week is this a sign of senility creeping in or is it just have too much junk and too many projects going on LOL

Thanks again

Phil

Thanks for your help Old git have taken a few pics ,I reckon I have a harness missing "at least one" have taken a few pics but have to get of to work so will upload later .

by the way think I might change my name to old git 2 as whilst searching cupboard at work found the Dt coil been looking for for a couple of weeks and 2 x rear break light switches and a rectifier which I both ordered new last week is this a sign of senility creeping in or is it just have too much junk and too many projects going on LOL

Thanks again

Phil

DT175MXPictures006-1.jpg

DT175MXPictures005.jpg

DT175MXPictures003.jpg

DT175MXPictures004.jpg

Phil it's a long time since I delved into my headlamp bowl but what I expect to see is

Multi block connectors to L&R handlebar controls

Multi block connectot to ignition switch

bullets to L&R indicators

Multi block to idiot lights (clocks)

bullets to headlamp

bullets to speedo illumination

Multi block to fron stop lamp switch

It's all in the wiring schematic.

Can you tell us a bit about the loom...is it new...is it a 2k4 version?

Phil it's a long time since I delved into my headlamp bowl but what I expect to see is

Multi block connectors to L&R handlebar controls

Multi block connectot to ignition switch

bullets to L&R indicators

Multi block to idiot lights (clocks)

bullets to headlamp

bullets to speedo illumination

Multi block to fron stop lamp switch

It's all in the wiring schematic.

Can you tell us a bit about the loom...is it new...is it a 2k4 version?

Hi thanks for taking a look its not a new loom ,the number on the loom is 4J38259040 hopefully should get the front brake light swich today so will have another look then ,its definatly going to take a bit of time/scotch locks bullets and tape!!!!

:wacko::thumbdown::crying::eusa_naughty:

I know <I know LOL !!!!!! scotch locks,insulation tape,240v cooker cable,strip connectors, spells one thing ! well front brake light switch arrived with 2 x bullet connectors I think this is wrong ? and have contacted shop to check out,I think I found connector for the switch 2 x brown 1 x green and yellow ,its the multi plug with the red and yellow thats got me puzzeled at the mo :blink:

Thanks

again

Phil :huh:

..... well front brake light switch arrived with 2 x bullet connectors I think this is wrong ? and have contacted shop to check out,..............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DT175MX-DT175-DT-MX-FRONT-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-/220783641319?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3367bb02e7

Remember I asked you if you had a new loom? you said no its a 4J3 loom, well the bad news is thats the wrong loom, its a DT125MX loom from a later version to yours I think. No wonder things dont match up.

so how did you come to have that and what happened to the original? :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Yamaha-DT-125-MX-Haupt-Kabelbaum-Wiring-4J3-82590-40-/140517010991?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item20b7776e2f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-DT175MX-DT175-DT-MX-FRONT-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-/220783641319?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3367bb02e7

Remember I asked you if you had a new loom? you said no its a 4J3 loom, well the bad news is thats the wrong loom, its a DT125MX loom from a later version to yours I think. No wonder things dont match up.

so how did you come to have that and what happened to the original? :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Yamaha-DT-125-MX-Haupt-Kabelbaum-Wiring-4J3-82590-40-/140517010991?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item20b7776e2f

Hi Old git "I realy dont like calling you that !" well I have gathered loads of bits over the years for the DT, remember I started this whole project in 1995 when was I given a box of large lumps for free, and the loom was not part of this so ? however I have 3x looms "at present" and one is definatly for 125mx as it has not got wiring for CDI whereas the other 2 including one now fitted has, might be wrong here but sure 125mx had points? yeh I have had quite a few of probs" guesswork" with wiring so far and is not finished/tested yet no "6volt battery charger" my last prob is the red and yellow wire, cannot find anything in the cliymer or Haynes for this wire ? and thats from ignition harness so god knows ?

Headlamploompics001.jpg

Headlamploompics002.jpg

Note. oldgit not 1 scotch lock so far :lol:

Going a bit of subject has anyone used the 2.5 mm aluminiun STICK welding rods as have some repairs to do on barrel only ever welded aluminium with Tig and this was years ago!!!! :o and was bloody difficult,I did not realy have the knack of it " I once was a coded gas and arc welder, ,also bent fins any advise ?

And another "air filter" do you oil ,and with what ?

Well have started looking at engine think might have to start new thread for this one !!!!!! :unsure:

Thanks for looking out for me old git, and as for am i OK well bit pissed off at mo, work for NHS as a Shift engineer ,well at mo, 11 to go this year out of out Dept,next April those left face £3500 a year pay cut :lol: and trust to save 11 1/2 million this year so things at work never been so Crap ,God dont you just love our Goverment LOL

Its the feed from the ig switch to the lighting switch on the left hand bar.

Hi Old git "I realy dont like calling you that !" well I have gathered loads of bits over the years for the DT, remember I started this whole project in 1995 when was I given a box of large lumps for free, and the loom was not part of this so ? however I have 3x looms "at present" and one is definatly for 125mx as it has not got wiring for CDI whereas the other 2 including one now fitted has, might be wrong here but sure 125mx had points? yeh I have had quite a few of probs" guesswork" with wiring so far and is not finished/tested yet no "6volt battery charger" my last prob is the red and yellow wire, cannot find anything in the cliymer or Haynes for this wire ? and thats from ignition harness so god knows ?

Call me Paul then ;)

Early 125's had points later ones had CDI

One of the Haynes manuals is not so good, it's the one with an orange front cover border, if you look at the ig switch it shows as 4 wire only which is plain wrong as we have positions 1 2 and 3 withe key. Cynic put me onto a better manual wich also shows the later version wiring diagram.. it has a brown border and a twinshock picture on the front cover...ISBN 1 85010 300 3

Call me Paul then ;)

Early 125's had points later ones had CDI

One of the Haynes manuals is not so good, it's the one with an orange front cover border, if you look at the ig switch it shows as 4 wire only which is plain wrong as we have positions 1 2 and 3 withe key. Cynic put me onto a better manual wich also shows the later version wiring diagram.. it has a brown border and a twinshock picture on the front cover...ISBN 1 85010 300 3

Hi "Paul" yeh it,s the old haynes up to 1980 I have also got the Clymer up to 83 .Starting to think this loom is more bother than it worth ?

Hi "Paul"yeahh it,s the oldHayness up to 1980 I have also got the Clymer up to 83 .Starting to think this loom is more bother than it worth ?

Well this might be a case of after the horse has bolted, as cut the wiring now(too Bloody close to multi block) :angry: Paul/Cynic you know you said it was a newer loom !!!!! well whilst thumbing old MMCs and DT articles noticed that the newer post 1980s have a extra on/off switch, is there by any small chance there are 2 sub harneses coming from the left hand switch there must be 2 more wires ,have a look at the pic this switch is the same as i have fit :blink:

Also have a look at these 2 CDIs the biggy is defo 78 175mx vintage i have 2 more at this size cannot read Nos on side so reckon this needs a bit of sorting before :P I put fire to a engine

DTBarrels003.jpg

Not sure on the switch issue but there are two versions of CDI, one is 6 wire and one is 7 wire, the presence or absence of a RED is the difference, early bikes had two source coils in the magneto...the RED connects to source coil 2 on these.

Not sure on the switch issue but there are two versions of CDI, one is 6 wire and one is 7 wire, the presence or absence of a RED is the difference, early bikes had two source coils in the magneto...the RED connects to source coil 2 on these.

Thanks Paul yeh there was a extra red on that CDI ,just read NEOs post,s on 12v conversion looks good a credit to him for this, wish I had not bought new battery & rectifier the other week, cause when do get bike running will be riding in dark to work and back on unlit roads, and this def looks the biz have you guys switched over ?

.......have you guys switched over ?

No mate I dont use mine in the dark on unlit roads, dont expect much even if it is 12v. My DTR is 12v and a simillar setup, ie headlamp straight from magneto, kinda glows different shades of orange for different engine speeds :huh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online