DT 175 MX Rebuild/Electrics

philmountains
This post is 4712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Just started to build bike up after painting frame ,well as mentioned before been on with this bike for years,and the bits came from all over the world, so it is hardly surprising that stuff is not compatible !!!!! well just for a start have stuck harness on and stuffed front end wiring into headlamp shell to worry about later, only 2 components which I have mounted are flasher relay and rectifier these fairly sure are in right spot , have a orange & 2 blacks which look like they go to coil is this correct ? also although this loom is intact it seems as though bits missing/short like rear lights wiring is this a separate loom/battery area ,cannot see any connectors to go to a battery ? ? I have Haynes & clymer manuals to help but a simplified bit of advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I suppose been a bit lazy here ! figured out that the orange wire does go to blue on coil and 2 blacks earth to frame now new prob have lost original coil !!!!,but have a spare 6v that came in basket case ,its newish but it has a capacitor ?wired into it"can be unplugged" and having read up a bit the DT175mx does not have these, it was fitted to a MX though ?

Also found on another old loom the extra wiring i was on about for back end, so getting a little bit further. Will post some pics soon, as I love to see others pics and you guys might spot a problem before I get too far.

also whilst on with this post have not been able to fit air box correctly, just out on one screw hole frame not bent, or air box modded, reckon that must be slight difference in years?

Thanks again

Phil

PS.going to Florida in July for holiday, anyone recommend any good breakers over there after a better set of forks and !!!!!!!!!!

On 5/1/2011 at 4:44 AM, philmountains said:

well I suppose been a bit lazy here ! figured out that the orange wire does go to blue on coil and 2 blacks earth to frame now new prob have lost original coil !!!!,but have a spare 6v that came in basket case ,its newish but it has a capacitor ?wired into it"can be unplugged" and having read up a bit the DT175mx does not have these, it was fitted to a MX though ?

Also found on another old loom the extra wiring i was on about for back end, so getting a little bit further. Will post some pics soon, as I love to see others pics and you guys might spot a problem before I get too far.

also whilst on with this post have not been able to fit air box correctly, just out on one screw hole frame not bent, or air box modded, reckon that must be slight difference in years?

Thanks again

Phil

PS.going to Florida in July for holiday, anyone recommend any good breakers over there after a better set of forks and !!!!!!!!!!

Uh Oh, there are a couple of sub looms as you have found like the tail light wiring, the generator/stator set may also be missing from the basic loom as there are 2 different options depending on your cdi and generator. There may/will also be various links and connectors missing too. The battery connections to name just 2.

The airbox..... as well as different battery locations/battery position and oil tank design,there are 2 different types. The DTmx started in 78/9 and possibly 80 for the septics with the oil tank on the left with a real funky airbox design.

That was junked for a much free'er breathing version in 1980 with the oil tank swapping sides different CDI and a completely different carb setting that may sieze the later model if you get it the wrong way about.

I built my own loom, if you can put pictures up of any problems it will be much easier to help.

Wow building your own loom was a big job are you a panel wirer? tried to upload pics not sure how ? do you need photo bucket or similar ?

Thanks

Phil

Wow building your own loom was a big job are you a panel wirer? tried to upload pics not sure how ? do you need photo bucket or similar ?

Thanks

Phil

Built computer control panels for automated forklifts once upon a time.

Photobucket is the one i use. There is a FAQ in the new members forum about uploading pictures.

DT175MXPictures008.jpg

DT175MXPictures007.jpg

DT175MXPictures001.jpg

Built computer control panels for automated forklifts once upon a time.

Photobucket is the one i use. There is a FAQ in the new members forum about uploading pictures.

Hope these pics have come up ? well p""""" off just noticed have cracked front brake housing booooooooo, also booked next Sat off work to go to to jumble near York made a bit off a list and its huge !!!

DT175MXPictures009.jpgI guess the wires on left go to generator /engine not sure yet were bunch of yellows etc.. on right go to yet?

DT175MXPictures009.jpg

You have to delete the http code that appears at the front of the link, don't let text be immediately after the last image (img) marker too. Idealy make the picture link its own line or they all get a bit out of control and your pictures don't come through.

Yes the connector on the left is part of the generator wiring, green and white, a yellow, a light blue and a black i believe should be in there, model dependant of course. You should have a brown a white and red and another black with possibly a red depending on the cdi as loose connectors.

Thanks Cynic for your help and replies,have wired cdi up,and found original fuse/holder does this fix to the side of airbox by battery there is a mount but tight fit, also looks like this loom was a later one as it is leading me to fit cdi at top of inner mudguard (No Bracket) ,i was going to fit it by the flasher can.

DT175MXPictures006.jpg

Thanks Cynic for your help and replies,have wired cdi up,and found original fuse/holder does this fix to the side of airbox by battery there is a mount but tight fit, also looks like this loom was a later one as it is leading me to fit cdi at top of inner mudguard (No Bracket) ,i was going to fit it by the flasher can.

DT175MXPictures006.jpg

DT175MXPictures007.jpg

oooooooooooooo them fork tops look worse in these pics,that silver paint didnt make them look much better spent ages with a stanley knife blade scrapping

We need Olgitonabike in on this. His bike is a 79 and he will know exactly where these components go. I have the later bike and the entire airbox/battery/oil tank layout is completely and utterly different. Cdi and the regulator live elsewhere too.

One important point, you bike is a 79 but you have the later loom. Does your cdi need a red wire? After answering this question does your generator have a red wire coming from it? You can see where i'm going with this? There are matched 7 wire cdi to 7 wire regulator.

We need Olgitonabike in on this. His bike is a 79 and he will know exactly where these components go. I have the later bike and the entire airbox/battery/oil tank layout is completely and utterly different. Cdi and the regulator live elsewhere too.

One important point, you bike is a 79 but you have the later loom. Does your cdi need a red wire? After answering this question does your generator have a red wire coming from it? You can see where i'm going with this? There are matched 7 wire cdi to 7 wire regulator.

Hi Cynic the engine is in my locker at work(in bits) so dont know what electrics are comming out of gen, not back in until Friday.

Done a bit more tonight moved loom over to oil tank side,works better also matched up all wiring "I THINK!!!!!!!! but in doing so snapped off blade on Rectifier more money !will post a pic soon to see what you think.

Thanks

Phil

thanks Oldgit ,those pics are great a hell of a lot better than in any of the manuals I have, am sure that there are loads of folk out there that will appreciate these.

Whilst on I mentioned that I bust the Rectifisearchedhevil bayched evilbay and found plenty of Stanley Rectifiers but not one for 175mx only 125mx and it is marked up as DE 45 "they all are whatever model " the thing is the one I have is marked up DE 41 do you think that this is just a newer model.

Thanks again

Phil

Don't you just love it when your searching the house for that part you lost, and you find a part you didn't know you had !!!!! just found a pair of front indicators thats saved me a few quid ,still cannot find the dam coil though. Has any one got any magic ideas for refinishing old black plastic,like indicators and clocks.

Thanks again

Phil

use amorall to clean the plastics and back to black for the shiny finish but remmeber to buff it off or it goes sticky

use amorall to clean the plastics and back to black for the shiny finish but remmeber to buff it off or it goes sticky

Hi plastic gone a bit too far now ,old and weathered ,back to black silicon spray etc not having much effect ,back in the eighties i had some black PVC paint that worked realy well it etched itself into the plastic, so not like can spraying that rubs off.

Hi plastic gone a bit too far now ,old and weathered ,back to black silicon spray etc not having much effect ,back in the eighties i had some black PVC paint that worked realy well it etched itself into the plastic, so not like can spraying that rubs off.

If thats the case go into your local motor factors shop and get some plastic bumper spray.

If thats the case go into your local motor factors shop and get some plastic bumper spray.

Just got back from Rufforth Auto jumble Nr York,well glad I did,nt travel along way ,saying that was worth entrance fee of £4.00 picked up a pair of nice Renthal bars for 6 quid ,a new DT MX 6volt battery for 12 quid inc acid(the only thing ticked of my list!),and poss best buy DT175 MX front exhaust pipe for a fiver,back mounting lug cut off but very little rust and never repaired so was def worth a punt, I was not 100% sure it was a DT exhaust but suppose thats the thing with Autojumble you take the chance.

well back to Ebay.

By the way got a responce from a breaker in the US for a pair of forks $150 + shipping he,s having a laugh !!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online