Motorcycle clothing

Alan
This post is 7088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For more years than I care to remember I always rode bikes in just jeans, leather jacket and trainers. I've had my share of offs :( although (touch wood) without any serious injury. All my mates dressed the same and we all fell off occassionally. I know that the older you get the longer it takes to get over the cuts, bruises and knocks.

Since getting involved in motorcycle racing firstly as a marshall and for the last five years as a scrutineer I have come to appreciate the wearing of the correct gear. Having witnessed first hand crashes from 'lowly' club racers right up to GP Gods the days of jeans etc in my case are long gone. Except for travelling to work and back its full leathers, armour, boots and decent gloves.

It would be interesting to hear from you guys (& gals) as to what you wear on your bikes and especially from those of you, who, like me were riding bikes in the seventies - have your attitudes changed?

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Haven't been riding that long :oops: Unless I died in the seventies during a motorbike crash and was re-encarenated in the 80's :shock:

I always ride with full protection (textiles not leathers) except for my boots for which I use strong hiking boots.

I'm not riding just yet (need to do my DAS after New Year), but when I do I'll be wearing a helmet, textile jacket with CE armour, textile/leather pants, motorcycling boots and motorcycling glove.

It's best to get geared up cos' you only get one chance! :wink:

hi alan, good post. i'm too young to have been riding in the 70's, however i too used to always wear trainers, jeans, and leather jacket. i still wear jeans just for commuting to work etc. but on all other journeys it's leather trousers and textile jacket. it amazes me how some folk aren't bothered with protective gear, during the summer i spotted a guy on a gixxer thou wearing jeans and a vest, and his little boy on the back with shorts and t-shirt. even if it was a short journey, alot can happen!

When I started in the mid eighties it was jeans, paddock jacket and trainers. Stayed like that for a long time until I wanted to do a track day so I bought a second hand suit just for that.

After falling off a few times myself and seeing the aftermath of some of my friends crashes I never go anywhere now unless I have my full "power ranger" outfit on!

Yeah theres a guy at work who wears shorts and t shirt during the summer :shock: I suppose it is down to individual choice BUT having had gravel removed from my knee by a nurse armed with a scrubbing brush, then I'd sooner scrap a set of leathers than lose chunks out of my body :!:

I did ride late 60's early 70's things were totally different then, bikes, roads amount of traffic and attitudes. even on my bike I were all the right gear, yes I have been known to go to the local shop in my jeans, but that is about as far as I will go, there are to many day dreamers out there, and I am a lot more fragile now than I was then.

Full face Helmet.....leather Jacket....Gloves......Boots.....Jeans in the summer, but use a FT rainsuit over everything for when it gets a bit chilly & wet out. :wink:

Been this way for almost 20 years of Everyday riding. 8)

I did ride late 60's early 70's things were totally different then, bikes, roads amount of traffic and attitudes. even on my bike I were all the right gear, yes I have been known to go to the local shop in my jeans, but that is about as far as I will go, there are to many day dreamers out there, and I am a lot more fragile now than I was then.

Yeah I agree there was less traffic etc. etc. I know that in my younger days I bounced better whenever I fell off but at the time wouldn't have considered anything other than jeans and trainers etc. The first time I ever saw a full set of leathers (except on the track) was when the Suzuki Katana first appeared. It was at Matlock Bath and there was a couple of people there in matching silver & black one piece leathers. They stood out like sore thumbs :!: Posers :?: Maybe, but with the benefit of hindsight they were right. Fast forward 20+ years and almost everybody wears full leathers etc. Yeah motorcycling can be a dangerous hobby/pasttime/lifestyle that you have got to make as safe as possible.

Red G string,braces, doc martens an a german steel hat....... :wink:

If that's all it must be pretty chilly round the nethers this time of the year :lol::lol: :!: I must admit that wearing stiletto's made gear changing a bitch :oops: and the sussie belt used to chafe summat rotten #-o

Tell yer wot,

it would'nt be pretty,,,,I'm 6foot three and seventeen an a half stone,

Think the plod might have me sectioned? :lol:

I actually remember riding a bonnie in stilletos, but I am not so sure they would suit you, but what I want to know is, is there really enough room on a g string to fit braces, if you are ever this way you will have to show me but make sure the g string has velcro fastenings.

Nee bother. I'll put me best kit on for you if am ever down yor neck of the woods.

Always willin ter please a lady. :D

All photo's of me wearing the suzzy belt etc have been banished to a box in the loft where they will never see the light of day again. I was young it weren't my fault them, big lads made me do it :cry: :cry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online