Gear shifting trouble

Roger_the_Dodger
This post is 4855 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello people I'm new to this and wont bore you with lengthy intros or crap. I've just picked up a 2001 125 Dragstar. High milage, 35000, and one exhaust cover missing, apart from that it 'seems' fine, no odd noises from anywhere, paint is ok, all chrome is quite good too. My problem is that I am having some real difficulty changing gears. Even after being allowed to warm up after starting, with the clutch pulled in and changing in to first it lurches forward, in the past it has died at this point. Gear changing was difficult going from 1st to 2nd and nuetral was almost impossible. Even now, after having the clutch stripped, cleaned and put back, clutch lever and cable replaced, oil change, gear changes have gone from good to sticking in 1st, then only shifting to nuetral before having to shift to 2nd again. The rest of the gears are fine, actually rides really well. However, after riding about 5 miles, regardless of traffic amount, the gear changing, down and up, then becomes very stiff and nuetral just doesnt exist. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye rodger " welcome,,,,, first thot was draggin clutch , that wud cause lurch forward, or ,,,the clutch basket, having grooves , causing plates to snagg, but the stiff changes ? mmm, could be worn selector , or shift drum, Hows the linkage , is it sloppy [ joints] ? what oil are you using also ?

Aye rodger " welcome,,,,, first thot was draggin clutch , that wud cause lurch forward, or ,,,the clutch basket, having grooves , causing plates to snagg, but the stiff changes ? mmm, could be worn selector , or shift drum, Hows the linkage , is it sloppy [ joints] ? what oil are you using also ?

Cheers for the reply blackhat, the linkage is fine, not sure about the drum or selector, will get them checked first oppotunity. Only cheap wilko oil, a 10/40, just wanted the grubby, dirty old oil out to see if the work on the clutch had made a difference. Will replace that with better quality the weekend.

if it turns out to be the gears or selector or clutch iv got them for sale out of my 2004 xvs 125

the crank went in 2008 so im left with the bottom end and engine casing, if your interested PM me :)

Hello people I'm new to this and wont bore you with lengthy intros or crap. I've just picked up a 2001 125 Dragstar. High milage, 35000, and one exhaust cover missing, apart from that it 'seems' fine, no odd noises from anywhere, paint is ok, all chrome is quite good too. My problem is that I am having some real difficulty changing gears. Even after being allowed to warm up after starting, with the clutch pulled in and changing in to first it lurches forward, in the past it has died at this point. Gear changing was difficult going from 1st to 2nd and nuetral was almost impossible. Even now, after having the clutch stripped, cleaned and put back, clutch lever and cable replaced, oil change, gear changes have gone from good to sticking in 1st, then only shifting to nuetral before having to shift to 2nd again. The rest of the gears are fine, actually rides really well. However, after riding about 5 miles, regardless of traffic amount, the gear changing, down and up, then becomes very stiff and nuetral just doesnt exist. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Start with the easiest stuff first. Refer to the owners manual and set the gear change mechanism as it sdays in the book. Then buy some quality engine oil, it makes a difference, do not overfill the engine. Flip the circlip off the gear pedal, slip the pedal off and grease the shaft and bush, check that the tickover isnt too fast.

Cheers for all the advice, it's most appreciated. I'll do what I can at the weekend when the bike gets a going over from top to bottom. I'll have to get back to you regards the parts for sale, depends on what I find over the weekend. Will keep you all posted on how things go.

well hopefully you will be able to get it sorted m8 , normally gear change problems are due to the oil or clutch adjustment.

oh and one more thing, adjust the clutch cable properly, i found that after a bit, gear changes started being stiff, due to the clutch cable being slack at the engine end.

good luck m8.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online