Another toy... ?

wild foamy
This post is 4879 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya peeps.

in relation to my previous thread where i asked about the reliability/rideability of the FJ1200, i have started looking elsewhere, my only apprehension about the FJ is that its only got a 5 speed box, last thing i rode that had a 5 speed box was the DT and that felt like it really needed a 6th gear.

so, i have set myself a criteria, and am now looking for a bike which can meet it for when its time to let the XJ go.

1: Must be able to buy one for under £1000

2: Must be able to do 300+ miles in comfort

3: Must be capable of cruising at 90-100mph

4: must have a 6 speed box

would be nice if i could find a yamaha aswell, all my bikes so far have been yam (apart from the Jawa, but that never really got ridden), would prefer an older bike as you dont seem to see many older bikes around

any input/thoughts/constructive comments would be appreciated

- Foameh x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hiya peeps.

in relation to my previous thread where i asked about the reliability/rideability of the FJ1200, i have started looking elsewhere, my only apprehension about the FJ is that its only got a 5 speed box, last thing i rode that had a 5 speed box was the DT and that felt like it really needed a 6th gear.

so, i have set myself a criteria, and am now looking for a bike which can meet it for when its time to let the XJ go.

would be nice if i could find a yamaha aswell, all my bikes so far have been yam (apart from the Jawa, but that never really got ridden), would prefer an older bike as you dont seem to see many older bikes around

any input/thoughts/constructive comments would be appreciated

- Foameh x

With all of it's torque, the FJ doesn't need 6 gears. As standard, they can feel a bit revvy in top at around 70, depending on what you're used to, but mostly that's because of the grunt; not the same thing as you'll have experience on the 5 speede DT - remember though, at the redline in 5th gear you'd be on the wrong side of 160mph -Going to a one tooth larger gearbox sprocket and a 2 teeth smaller rear wheel sprocket fixes that and yet first gear is still perfectly usable and essentially feels unaffected. The FJ ticks every box except the one it doesn't need to tick.

BUT, if 6 speeds are essential, give up the torque and instantaneous passing power and go for a relatively early CBR 1000F, or an early VFR 750 - or if you can find a good one, a VF 750 F - the V fours always feel relaxed and I know you can pick them up for around £1k.

Those early VF's are relatively forgotten about now (so bargains are available), but as an example, this is our (Liz's) 1985 VF - it's got +40k miles on it, has been totally reliable and has been around Europe on numerous tours 400 miles in a day no problem.

5zmmtw.jpg

Hmm, i have to admit i do like the FJ, and ive seen them on ebay for around £800, but im still not convinced... is there anyone near RAF Benson or in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire area who would be willing to take me out for a spin on the back of an FJ? will travel on the XJ if needs be, just want to see what its like

i do like it though, very much...

Hmm, i have to admit i do like the FJ, and ive seen them on ebay for around £800, but im still not convinced... is there anyone near RAF Benson or in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire area who would be willing to take me out for a spin on the back of an FJ? will travel on the XJ if needs be, just want to see what its like

i do like it though, very much...

I've pm'd you someone who should be able to help with the ride.

got the PM, cheers, any idea when/if they started making the VFR with a single sided swingarm in 750?

'90 - it was essentially to cash in on the RC 30 link - it was cleaning up in the racing world and had the single sided swinging arm - I think the first normal VFR model with it was the VFR750FJ or FK

i have set myself a criteria, and am now looking for a bike which can meet it for when its time to let the XJ go.

TDR125

1. Around £700

2. With ease

3. And beyond

4. All day

5. Its a 2 stroke

TDR125

1. Around £700

2. With ease

3. And beyond

4. All day

5. Its a 2 stroke

Class dave ":lol: very true also, ;) , Foamy" another option Kawasaki Z1000 shaft drive, 1980s , were great ,and are cheap too, mate got one for £950 , bargain , ;)

Erm, thanks for the input CBD but ive just upgraded from a hairdryer, i dont want to take a step back in evolution lol :lol:

Lol at foamy :P

It would out ride you on a/b roads any day, dark or light wet or dry on my "step back in evolution". So much so you would want to sell up and buy a bus pass.

Nah, there aint nothing what can keep up with a Foameh listening to thrash metal through the headphones on a low-flying XJ.

knee down with a 90/90-18 front tyre, woohoo! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online