Winterisation

jenkovix
This post is 4937 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all!

This is almost wintertime and my question would be how we should prepare our beloved bike for proper winter storage? What tricks need to be done on the bike? Especially on chromed/painted areas but I am also enquiring about fuel tank, tyres etc.

Thank you and regards

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ACF50 - everywhere (except the brake discs)!

There is no other requirement against corrosion.

Come spring, just a liberal covering of Muckoff or something similar, hose it down and ride away.

Alternativly, ACF50 as above, and ride the bike, just top up the ACF50 every week or so, don't wash the bike till spring.

drain fuel out, keep tyres pumped hard and off ground if poss. I have an oil heater that goes next to the bike. mervin has a little one for his :D

do those little jobs now or you will forget them come spring. battery on optimate or throw it away and get a new one in 4 months time!

ACF-50 everything like gas says. cover rbike with blanket/sheet

that's all i do

Guest CardBoardDave

Better gloves trousers jacket and boots and and the odd hot chocolate from McDs will get me and me bike through winter

drain fuel out, keep tyres pumped hard and off ground if poss. I have an oil heater that goes next to the bike. mervin has a little one for his :D

do those little jobs now or you will forget them come spring. battery on optimate or throw it away and get a new one in 4 months time!

ACF-50 everything like gas says. cover rbike with blanket/sheet

that's all i do

There is a good article on fuel in the classic motorcycle mechanics on fuel drewps from some of the big oil companies but they have conflicting reports on wether to drain the fuel or not some say drain the carbs ,but leave fuel in the lines ,as it stops shrinkage in the lines as there is corrosion inhibitors and elastomisers in the petrol, and say if you leave fuel in the tank it not air in the space above its vapour so it wont go off, its air that makes fuel go off

then there others who say drain everything due to all fuel containing 5% bi ethanol , but then you have the issue of tank corrosion unless you spray with oil and silca bags on fishing line so to draw moisture.

cant be arsed!

the darker the petrol the weaker the petrol

myself i spray it with ACF 50 cover it loosley, but make sure you have air flow, no air flow creates condensation which creates rust .I leave what i have left in the tank when i park them up , then in the spring just top up with some fresh fuel and bingo off you go

the only issue i have is the bi ethanol eating my petseal tank liner on my KH400 ,which appears to be a major worry for most people its seems

well thats my thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Put some fuel stabilizer in the fule tank and run the bike for 5-10 minutes. The fuel stabilizer will stop the gas from gumming up your carb. If fuel stabilzier is in the gas there is no need to drain the fuel tank or the carbs. I always charge the battery and disconnect the negative. Here bikes, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, motor homes etc are stored for extended periods of time (like 6 months)and fuel stabilizer prevents problems.

Rocky

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online