2nd Gear on a Thundercat

heihachi
This post is 4994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ello all...

Now I probably know the answer to this question but wanted to pick the massive brains on here anyway.

Well I purchased a 1999 Thundercat last week, all was fine until Friday on the way to work. Whilst going round a roundabout it popped out of second and made an awul mechanical noise - sort of noise that a chain rattling against something would make. Immediately thought - un oh its the infamous 2nd gear problem! On my test ride before purchase I checked as well as I could for this, accelerated hard in 2nd and no problems.

Well it hasnt fallen out of gear again since but has been a bit "clunky" changing into 2nd from 1st (no problems going down from 3rd though) and on occassion has made the same rattly noise whilst in 2nd gear. There is also a noticeable whine whilst in 2nd, sort of like the noise a worn car gearbox makes whilst in drive.

The bike has done 23,5000 miles and I starting to think that the 2nd gear might be worn or the selector is duff. Dpes this sound likely to anyone here, or would a simple adjustment of the clutch cable or similar help the problem??

The bike has a 3 month warranty and I will more than likely pop it to the dealer on Tuesday and express my concerns; my question is does this sound like the 2nd gear issue I have read so much about on the inter-web and what sort of likely repair bill will this have? Am hoping can at least get some of the cost paid by the dealer if not all!

Thanks again guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did it again on the way to work this morning, almost as though it fails to engage the gear correctly as there is an awful noise of gears grating against each other :o

Shall have to go the dealer and see what he says - any thoughts/advice from you lot though??

Ta

I would take it too the dealer and get them to look at it, saves the chance of voiding your warranty should something else arise before it ends.

I would take it too the dealer and get them to look at it, saves the chance of voiding your warranty should something else arise before it ends.

Have contacted the dealer and popping the bike there at lunchtime today, bet they cant find anything wrong with it :( Would be just typical for it to behave whilst they test it.

Give him it back. That will ONLY get worse. Second gear issues can start from 2000 miles to 50000. It is down to how its ridden.

If it were me i'd be getting rid ASAP.

Give him it back. That will ONLY get worse. Second gear issues can start from 2000 miles to 50000. It is down to how its ridden.

If it were me i'd be getting rid ASAP.

Im with Cynic,

give them it back , dont put up with any rubbish they give you, it's

a engine out job and a investigation without doubt, hope they are a good dealers you got it from

cheers al

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online