Rectifier?

steve_w
This post is 5000 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

Took the battery off my 91 FZR 600 today to charge it after having problems getting it to run. I had to fill it up as it was empty, the dealer who sold me the bike in March put a new battery on it.

I've also noticed that when the bike's running with the lights off, the rev counter behaves itself while with the lights on, the rev counter is erratic.

There was a little corrosion around the + terminal as well which I've cleaned and copper greased.

Could these problems be caused by a faulty rectifier?

TIA

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Been doing a few checks and found that at around 3k I'm getting between 14.5v and 17.3v and getting around 40v across the 3 white wires coming from the stator so I think there's a good chance the R/R is goosed.

3k I'm getting between 14.5v and 17.3v goosed.

Aye steve" i think that 14-17 volts isn"t too excessive, had an RD400 with probs charging, and wen fixed it put out them figures, did it boil the battery, ?

should be 15 tops, above that the battery will boil.

looks like a trip to electrex world

Hi mate. It boiled the battery dry.

Fired the bike up today and got that sulphur smell from the battery along with a bubbling sound.

From what I've been reading it's a common problem. I can get a YZF 600 R/R and adapt the wiring giving me a good earth point as well.

Evenin'

The new reg/rec arrived today. After fitting it I ran the earth to an engine casing bolt then fired it up. No sulphur smell or loud bubbling sounds. Checked the voltage at the battery. At idle it was just short of 14v. At 3k it was 14.4v. Went out for a quick ride then re-checked it. Same results. Think that's sorted it and I can hopefully put the mountain bike away for a while!

Evenin'

Think that's sorted it and I can hopefully put the mountain bike away for a while!

you'll get fat!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online