Help lowering an R6

exkaraokeman-chris
This post is 5024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, i have finally got my dream bike,after wanting one since 1999! its a 2002 model, only 7500 miles from new,immaculate! The only problem is,im only 5 foot six,and i can just touch the floor with the very tip of my toes. Im going to have the monoshock put on its lowest setting shortly , hopefully that will lower it a bit. Am i right in thinking there is a bracket on the bottom of the monoshock,called a dog leg that can be changed for a smaller one to lower it further? Looking at the bike , it looks like if you loosened the bars bolted onto the frame that supports the back end of the bike , and the back of the exhaust, you could lower the whole of the back of the bike. Surley its not that easy ! Any advice gladly recieved. PS, im not a born again biker,had loads of bikes , last one an old cbr600, so don't need any advice on being careful !!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it can be done i raised my fzr400,its the dog bones you are referring to, the longer they are the lower the shock sits.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-YZ-YZF-R6-YZF-R6-Lowering-Kit-98-02-/--25mm-link_W0QQitemZ230398904369QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=118013728382&rvr_id=118013728382&cguid=fc7bae5d1260a0e20317a927feaa67d4

not cheap for 2 bits of metal. The ones on my FZR1000 i made at work, as we have powder-coating stuff.

^^^^ is right, longer dogbones = lower ride.

I lowered my Bandit so my daughter could use it. Lowering it was easy with some different 'dogbones' , however this caused a headache with the side stand...as the bike was now lower so in effect the stand was too long and the bike stood much too upright, I mean seriously too upright and in danger of falling over on anything other than a camber.

I got round that by fitting a stand (with a little modification) from an earlier bandit as it was shorter. Dont know if you will have the same trouble but it's a pitfall to bear in mind.

You can get new suspension linkages and you can drop down the forks through the yokes. I know FI international make these linkages but I'm sure you can probably find some cheaper elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend putting the rear shock on the softest setting as a permanent solution because it drastically changes the handling of the bike.

I know a lot of people have also cut some of the seat padding out but this is a final measure and usually more suitable for something like an sv650 which begins life with more padding.

Be careful when it's slippery out there. Sometimes you need both feet. You could always wear platform shoes :D

I have lowered many r6 models just altering the lentgh of the dogbones would do it but the bike will not sit level and the rake and trail will alter you should lower the bike evenly ie dogbones and drop forks through to match this will reduce ground clearance though.

Longer doglegs bones also make the bike sit upright more on the sidestand making it more prone to falling over.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online