Yamah DT 175MX Electrics

This post is 5037 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Hopefully you can help me again. The 175 MX is almost back on the road as a 125 MX. New piston in, engine back together and sounds good, exhaust back on (slight leak at the manifold but fire gum will sort that) electrics all back together and working and the indicators flash wonderfully, but ...... when the lights are on, so do they! Any quick ideas? Everything else seems fine. Brake lights work, horn, speedo light, rev counter and the warning lights work now (someone had managed to mix up the rev counter, indicator and neutral lights when they had put it together at some point!)

As soon as I have the lights on with the indicators I have both lights and indicators flashing and my brain is frazzled trying to work it out. And as I'm writing this something else is gnawing at me. When you turn the key to the lights position it should only be the side light that is on if the switch is at Low? Dipped is High and the other switch is for Full Beam. Now I'm thinking that Dipped maybe comes on regardless of the position of the High/Low switch! Very frazzled now. If anybody has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys,

Hopefully you can help me again. The 175 MX is almost back on the road as a 125 MX. New piston in, engine back together and sounds good, exhaust back on (slight leak at the manifold but fire gum will sort that) electrics all back together and working and the indicators flash wonderfully, but ...... when the lights are on, so do they! Any quick ideas? Everything else seems fine. Brake lights work, horn, speedo light, rev counter and the warning lights work now (someone had managed to mix up the rev counter, indicator and neutral lights when they had put it together at some point!)

As soon as I have the lights on with the indicators I have both lights and indicators flashing and my brain is frazzled trying to work it out. And as I'm writing this something else is gnawing at me. When you turn the key to the lights position it should only be the side light that is on if the switch is at Low? Dipped is High and the other switch is for Full Beam. Now I'm thinking that Dipped maybe comes on regardless of the position of the High/Low switch! Very frazzled now. If anybody has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Paul

i'm not really surprised the lights apper to flash, tell me...this isnt a flash proper is it? more like a dimming / brightening thing eh?

By the way was the motor revving or switched off?

as for the lights

Ignition key has to be in position 2. This will bring on the pilot even with the lights switch on the left hand control switched to lights OFF

With said switch ON the tail light and instrument lights will come on and if the engine is running the headlamp main or dipped will also come on.

key position 3. Pilot and tail light on. Engine will not run, key can be removed. This is a parking light function.

Yes, more a dimming/brightening thing, and the engine was revving at the time.

Reason I'm confused about the lights part is that the lettering has rubbed off on the switch and I'm going by memory as to what they should say. So the right hand switch on the left hand light control, if you see what I mean, is an On/Off, and the left hand High/Low is Dipped and Main. That makes more sense. Thank you for that.

Paul

Yes, more a dimming/brightening thing, and the engine was revving at the time.

Reason I'm confused about the lights part is that the lettering has rubbed off on the switch and I'm going by memory as to what they should say. So the right hand switch on the left hand light control, if you see what I mean, is an On/Off, and the left hand High/Low is Dipped and Main. That makes more sense. Thank you for that.

Paul

Thats correct

On the left hand side handlebar control

There are 2 switches

The RIGHT switch is Headlamp ON/OFF...Down = OFF (Assuming key position 2)

The LEFT switch is HIGH/Low beam...Down = LOW

Note...the pilot and tail lights work from key position 2 and are notthing to do with the left handlebar control.

Thats correct

On the left hand side handlebar control

There are 2 switches

The RIGHT switch is Headlamp ON/OFF...Down = OFF (Assuming key position 2)

The LEFT switch is HIGH/Low beam...Down = LOW

Note...the pilot and tail lights work from key position 2 and are notthing to do with the left handlebar control.

You know i would love a pint of whatever the fellow was drinking that dreamed that up. I had to help out the mot man a while back as he was going to fail it for the lights not working. Looked at me like i was taking the piss when i ignored the on off switch and used the key :D

He did laugh afterwards.....

Thanks for that explanation, it make sense now (of a sort!)and they do work as they should

And on the subject of the dimming lights when the indicators are on, I'm presuming that this is to be expected on an old DT.

Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online