1974 DT 175

DeTour
This post is 4992 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last time I was in the bike shop asking about a coil the only one they had for my bike (dt250a) was a 6v/12v one as an aftermarket replacement. Don't know anything about them though sorry but it sounded like if mine ever needs replacing that's the only option I've got...........

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you said the ig source coil had 2.1 ohms, is that kohms? I measured it and it's looking like 1.5 or lower. I put a test light in line with the black wire, to ground, and was not seeing anything when kicking over. So i'm thinking my problem is still down there somewhere. This things kickin my butt...

When you said the ig source coil had 2.1 ohms, is that kohms? I measured it and it's looking like 1.5 or lower. I put a test light in line with the black wire, to ground, and was not seeing anything when kicking over. So i'm thinking my problem is still down there somewhere. This things kickin my butt...

2.1 Ohms, not kOhms,

i finally got a nice strong spark out of her. I found a stator on ebay for 35 bucks, it just came in today. I bolted it on and plugged it in, got nothing. I put my new points in it, then the points started arching. So i changed the condensor. And of course the black wire was too short so i cut it back and soldered in a new wire. Then i realized that pretty much the whole harness on the "new" stator were cracked and frayed and whatnot, so i cut all the wires and soldered in the old harness, shrink wrapped. After i plugged it in, the points were still arching, i kept one workin the magneto back and forth and bam, nice strong constant spark. I'm pumped. Plus i got the air filter in the mail today, so hopefully sometime in the next week i can hear her run. Thanks for all the help!

Fired it up beautifuly, I poured some gas down the fuel line, pulled the choke on, 2 kicks later it started. Idled around 3k but man was it good to hear going. Sounded strong, i don't want to ride it until i get the tank cleaned out and installed so i can get some premix in her, but all in all i'm happy. I timed it with a dial indicator. Then made some marks just in case. Revved it to about 5 or so thousand and it sounded mint, loud with out a muffler, but mint. Thanks everyone for the help!

Great news, that should be a tidy ride when your finished.

Great news, that should be a tidy ride when your finished.

i'm hoping so, i just ordered some throttle cables and 25 feet of fuel line and a couple fuel filters to finish it off. I found a parts bike that had a chain guard, the plastic under the oil tank and a few nuts and bolts that i needed. I also tried welding up the gas tank holes and still have a little seepage. I was going to just kreem it and hope that it sealed it, but i think i'll weld another pass on it. Either way in the next few weeks i'd like to have it in the woods.

i'm hoping so, i just ordered some throttle cables and 25 feet of fuel line ........

Are you leaving the tank in the garage when you go for a ride? :unsure:

............ I also tried welding up the gas tank holes and still have a little seepage. I was going to just kreem it and hope that it sealed it, but i think i'll weld another pass on it. ............

is this safe? :o

Well the tank was empty, and has been for years. So I'd consider it safe. When I go to weld it again I'll rinse it out with water then let it sit for a few days.

and when I did ride it, the tank was off. I bought the 25 feet because it was cheap and I'll have plenty left fit other bikes.

Well the tank was empty, and has been for years. So I'd consider it safe. When I go to weld it again I'll rinse it out with water then let it sit for a few days.

Ohh when you talked about seepage assumed it was now not a long time ago. i was worried we would never hear from you again. :rolleyes:

and when I did ride it, the tank was off. I bought the 25 feet because it was cheap and I'll have plenty left fit other bikes.

And some fell on stony ground then

tumbleweed.giftumbleweed.giftumbleweed.gif:P

i hate to ask but on the oil tank, there's two lines coming from it. I'm guessing one is feeding the pump and the other is a vent? the feed is a given, but i wasn't sure if there was a return or maybe just a vent. Just want to be sure.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online