DTR 2001 Eating Gear Oil ?

This post is 5062 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my Dtr is going through gear oil at an amazing rate, basicly have to refill every 100miles or so, this cant be normal surely ? ! Have just had the return springs replaced with new gasget etc but its not leaking at all so i presume its burnning it ?

H E L P !

2strokeray !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, ok thanks, how can i check to make sure, just replace it ? is it an easy one for me to do ? forgive my stupidness but ive just had the selector return springs replaced by a garage, would that have anything to do with the right hand crankcase seal ?

thanks

2strokeray

hi, ok thanks, how can i check to make sure, just replace it ? is it an easy one for me to do ? forgive my stupidness but ive just had the selector return springs replaced by a garage, would that have anything to do with the right hand crankcase seal ?

thanks

2strokeray

The replacement of the selector return springs should not have anything to do with the crank seals, to replace the selector spring you only need to take the clutch casing off and the crank seals are located on either end of the crank in the 2 gearbox/crank cases. Only one of these seals has oil on the other side and that is the Left hand side one ( not right as i posted earlier when i had just woke up).

I believe the method to test for a faulty seal is to place the oil overflow pipe ( just behind the kickstart coming out of the top of the engine) into a glass jar filled with water and with the bike running look for bubbling in the jar.

Its not that hard to replace the seal, but if you sent the bike to a garage to have the selector spring replaced, then you should probably do the same for the seal. No offense intended.

Vez.

Only one of these seals has oil on the other side and that is the Left hand side one ( not right as i posted earlier when i had just woke up).

Vez.

Ehh? its the right one :rolleyes:

Ray if its the crank seal your bike will smoke badly and not perform too well either. It might be worth checking for leals wile youre at it and before diving in to the seal. also take off the radiator cap to see it it's gettin g into the coolant.

Ehh? its the right one :rolleyes:

Ray if its the crank seal your bike will smoke badly and not perform too well either. It might be worth checking for leals wile youre at it and before diving in to the seal. also take off the radiator cap to see it it's gettin g into the coolant.

Damn, its been one of them days... RIGHT SIDE one. Face palm

*walks away mumbling*

hi, the bike doesnt smoke badly at all, only a little when starting from cold and runs well. its still eating gear oil a fill up a day. coolant i have to top up every 3 days at the radiator. the coolant header tank at the rear is at correct level but seems to do nothing, doesnt go up or down.

sorry ''leal'' og not sure what this is, did u mean leak ? if so, it seems all dry with no leaks, i park it in the same place every night and theres no fluids around.

have a problem now with my rear brake aswell, noticed it not working that well, had a quick look and theres fluid all over the disc so seems to be leaking from somewhere, the brake fluid level hasnt droped much though, i did recently refill the fluid and went slightly over the max line !?!?! would this be my problem some how ?

many thanks

ray

hi, the bike doesnt smoke badly at all, only a little when starting from cold and runs well. its still eating gear oil a fill up a day. coolant i have to top up every 3 days at the radiator. the coolant header tank at the rear is at correct level but seems to do nothing, doesnt go up or down.

sorry ''leal'' og not sure what this is, did u mean leak ? if so, it seems all dry with no leaks, i park it in the same place every night and theres no fluids around.

have a problem now with my rear brake aswell, noticed it not working that well, had a quick look and theres fluid all over the disc so seems to be leaking from somewhere, the brake fluid level hasnt droped much though, i did recently refill the fluid and went slightly over the max line !?!?! would this be my problem some how ?

many thanks

ray

Well its going somewhere, its either leaking to the ground (or possibly yourebrake)

leaking to the coolant, remove the rad cap and dip some paper in the liquid, it its oil you will see and it will not dry out

or its being burned and would be very smokey

you will need new brake pads either way whether its brake fluid or oil but not before the problem is solved.

many thanks

ray

Can only be, burning it...... leaking it out somewhere.......or leaking into your rad.

Had a similar prop myself so worth checking this

Your front sproket seal might be leaking, you may only notice it when the bike is warmed up, this thin's down the oil and it leaks onto the sproket, you will not see drips on the ground anywhere because the chain whips it up and uses it or throws it off the back.

Also to check the right leavel of oil in the gearbox, you need to warm up the bike,then let it cool down (2mins), then stand the bike up straight-----sometimes no oil is shown in the sight glass so you have to lean the bike to the right till oil starts to appear, then up straight again for a propper reading.

ok, its definatly not visably leaking gear oil, the front sprocket area doesnt look as if theres excessive oil there. the coolant looks oil free, i did notice today that at high speed and revs the bike does beltch out a cloud of smoke so presumably burning it !?!? . i mean when u guys say about performance, im getting probably 75mph, ive bagged the reed switch away from the speedo but thats about it. still has the standard exhaust and standard everything else really.

To be honest, im not a quitter but am getting bored with problem after problem. i know 2 stokes are high matinence but am begining to think ive bought a nightmare !!!

tell me to shut up please as i do still have a little faith in her yet, but if were talking loads more dosh, she might have to go !

H E L P !

p.s back brake still lightly weaping fluid at the disc ?

2strokeray x

I stand by my original opinion on the oil issue.

Brake caliper is no big deal to fix, probably the piston seals. Bit pricey though, £28 for some seals http://motorcyclepro...9-p-158015.html can only find ones for 88-89 im 99% sure they are the same though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online