powder coated xs engine

drewpy
This post is 5056 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it was done to show off the powdercoating at aerocoat

• 3 weeks later...

Campbell

i do not advise it on an aircooled engine, i had many problems with my RD400 seizing til i fitted non coated barrels,i hadbought a set of coated rebored barrels at great expanse and they were knackered within 600 miles

and my local powdercoaters that i use now said they would not touch an engine

ugh darn my whole bike is either black or copper. Itll look really weird with silver there... Ive talked to alot of people and its an equal fight. some say no problems and others say dont do it. I'll prolly go with no powder just to be safe but man i wish i could have it black

Never herd of anyone that had it done, so have no experience of it at-all.

Maby you could get the engine done in black BUT i would definately not do the barrels, for fear of overheating.

Then you could clean up the barrels nice and shiney which Might look nice on top of a black engine, Just a thaught !

ugh darn my whole bike is either black or copper. Itll look really weird with silver there... Ive talked to alot of people and its an equal fight. some say no problems and others say dont do it. I'll prolly go with no powder just to be safe but man i wish i could have it black

What's wrong with using black heat resistant paint? Powder coat acts as insulation, whereas paint doesn't (some say it helps shed heat, maybe matt black .....)

Clicky link

Even BBQ paint from your local B&Q/Focus/Wherever will do the job - satin finish stuff on the nipper's TS50X exhaust looked the dog's danglies and stayed stuck on despite the heat.

powdercoat the casings that is ok i have done them with no problem but not the barrels, PJ1 engine is the best choice in my opinion, but plastikote barbecue or woodstove paint works the woodstove is matt and the barbie paint more satin

Merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online