Can anyone recommend a good beginners book for motorcylce repair

londez
This post is 5072 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 1981 Yamaha XS400 needs a number of repairs and adjustments to things like intake/exhause valves and spark plug gaps. I have no technical knowledge about engines and bought the bike as a learning project. I have a haynes manual that explains all of the repairs/adjustments that need to be made, but I can't make sense of any of it because I lack any knowledge of what and where the basic parts and components are.

I was looking at the Haynes "Motorcycle Basics Techbook," but I'm not sure if the information inside would apply to a bike as old as mine...

any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a haynes manual that explains all of the repairs/adjustments that need to be made, but I can't make sense of any of it because I lack any knowledge of what and where the basic parts and components are.

In all honestly if you can't get your head around a Haynes manual you should put your trust in a local reliable bike workshop.

'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' JK! :icon_evil:

I'm sure there's something to be found using google or going to Amazon or Barnes & Noble or library.

I'm still learning myself. Do you understand the 4 cycle engine>? 4-stroke animated

As to "where the basic parts are", how basic? There are parts websites w/exploded views of the different assembly areas of a bike, but do you mean more basic?

Here are a couple of recommended books.

I could use some basic reading myself, this looks like a good one maybe How to Repair . . .

How to Repair Your Motorcycle (Motorbooks Workshop)

Author: Charles Everitt

Publisher: Motorbooks

Category: Book

List Price: $21.95

Buy New: $14.93

as of 6/5/2010 22:44 EDT details

My 1981 Yamaha XS400 needs a number of repairs and adjustments to things like intake/exhause valves and spark plug gaps. I have no technical knowledge about engines and bought the bike as a learning project. I have a haynes manual that explains all of the repairs/adjustments that need to be made, but I can't make sense of any of it because I lack any knowledge of what and where the basic parts and components are.

I was looking at the Haynes "Motorcycle Basics Techbook," but I'm not sure if the information inside would apply to a bike as old as mine...

any suggestions?

How do you know that it needs intake/exhause valves and spark plug gaps adjusted?

I'd get to know someone who works on their own bike and shadow them. I did that in my teens and picked up loads of tips and, more importantly, confidence.

as you haven't fully completed your personal info. no-one knows where on this planet you reside!

books are ok for info, but you can't ask them questions or can they stop you doing something stoopid

Can you not just look at the pictures?

That's what I do.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online