xt's...

This post is 7140 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you all know my thoughts on the XT660R. It is a fantastic bike.

In Brief: Top Speed - 100mph+ on the clock = 95 mph real top speed. All day 70/75 I know cos I've done it.

Acceleration - very brisk up to 75. An A Road traffic destroyer!!!

Handling - STUNNING, a lot better than my old CB1300 which is known as the best handling bike in its class, able to run rings round an XJR. On any given bend up to 80mph the XT is significantly more stable and therefore faster.

Economy - OUTSTANDING my WORST mpg is 68. Gentle riding will see 80 mpg. 200 mile tank range.

Comfort - All day long. Excellent seat, good position.

Weather protection - none, but Yamaha make aftermarket screen (2 sizes). It is a little hard work at Motorway speed because of the very upright position, but hey we're men not mice!

Vibration - smooth below 75 mph. Above 80 very rough and unpleasant, makes you fillings rattle.

Fuel Injection - snatchy at low revs. Why are Suzuki the only company who make good FI sytems?

Gearbox - Good! Very precise.

Brakes - OK. Improving with miles.

Off Road - Heavy, but lots of poke, so actually pretty good if you don't get too ambitious.

Cost - pricey for what it is. (Yammys seem overpriced generally) No 2nd hands around yet.

Lights - Good.

Build Quality - Strong so far - no issues. Plastics - crap cosmetics compared to a Road Bike. Cheapo spokes. Cleans up well. I spend a lot of time "preping" my new bikes for a hard life - Vinyl on all rubbing points and forks + hard wax on all shiny bits + ACF 50 (it works!) everywhere. The time spent pays off down the line.

In my opinion - this is the best "do everything" bike on the market.

Read about the old XT (same as Pete's) in this month's Ride.

The TT600 uses the old XT motor and might be a better bet if you are planning a lot of off road use.

you should write tests for mags alan 8) reading that makes me think even more about getting an xt. i wont be planning too much off road, just fairly gentle unmade roads/tracks tbh...

What do Ride say about it Alan?

They say that it is a very good bike and put it on a par with the Beemer GS650 and better than the Suzuki DR400. Worth buying the Mag or at least reading the test.

I find Ride to be one of the better Mags.

I'm a bit of a Mag junky and I keep buying MCN (life long habit), God knows why, it is just terrible.

I'm a bit of a Mag junky and I keep buying MCN (life long habit), God knows why, it is just terrible.

You Too, eh? :D

It's amazing, If read objectively, there's alot to be learned from reading Bike Mags :wink:

well, didnt find any xt's in the bike shops today :roll: not that i'd buy from a bike shop round here anyway, all way overpriced! did have a good nosey round a transalp though, gotta say i didnt really like it, it also looks way bulky and clumsy to be of any use off road tbh. i'll prob be looking for something in the north of england

• 2 weeks later...

When we talk XT here, what are we talking about? I have a 1978 XT500 which is a fabulous bike, but doesn't sound like what you guys are talking about!

Amazing how the Vintage of a particular bike, can make all the difference in the world :wink:

When we talk XT here, what are we talking about? I have a 1978 XT500 which is a fabulous bike, but doesn't sound like what you guys are talking about!

Good to see you posting again Ross. :)

Try and post some more here, cos the rest of us are now being swamped by dorky kids dribbling on about tuning their fucking mopeds. :roll:

these xt600/660's are what i'm on about ross

normal_xt11.jpg

oh yeah, as unmutual says, it's good to see ya on here again big ross. some more experienced biker input is greatly needed, pop in from time to time if ya can mate 8)

Thanks for the welcome back guys. Yep, turned 59 last week, but Spring is nearly here, and I've only started the car once in ten days. Perfect riding weather in Adelaide at this time of year!

Put the XT back on the road today (Been riding the LC) -low megaphone, ace bars, big headlight, SR500 wire wheels with twin leading shoe brake (fabulous), polished alloy tank, and short shockers to drop the back about 40mm. I think it looks great and certainly rides well. Now if I could only work out why the brake light stays on ALL the time!

Considering it's now 26 years old.....!

And I forgot to mention, those bikes look great! What are those funny black plastic bits on the forks of the left hand one? (and what's a supermotard?)

Fork protectors Ross. Super motard is basically a traily with with road wheels and tyres. Very trendy here in Europe.

Thanks Alan. You live and learn. Protection against what? Pedestrians?

And what do the young people do with these bikes? Lean on them in the street whilst wearing very expensive sunglasses??

Come to think of it, I've got an XT with road wheels etc, but I've always called it a cafe racer. Maybe I'll get trendy in my old age and call it a supermotard!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online