tzr125r 96 import 4hw /cylinder 4fu00

ayron
This post is 5078 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I would ask something here if you don't mind. I have damaged cylinder on my yamaha DT125x 2006 and now i bought an used cylinder of yamaha TDR. On my cilinder on right side is written 4MB00 but on bought cylinder is written 4FU00. What are the differences? What does this numbers mean? Can i put cylinder of TDR125 on my DT?

Thank you.

I normally don't reply to people who don't introduce themselves, you were polite and I'm in a good mood.

3MB00 is the part number for a DTR cylinder, does your DTX have a 4MB00?? (the DTX is a DTR engine based machine, but you probably know that already)

I have read that they should be compatible with the DTR, check the pictures above and you will see ayron has fitted a 4FU00 cylinder to his TZR (again the TZR is the same DTR engine) So it is more than likely going to fit.

How badly is your DTX cylinder damaged? will a re-bore and piston not kit fix it? (you will more than likely need a new piston for the TDR cylinder anyway)

Vez

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my last post, i have since read that the Early DTR and TZR cylinders may not be compatible.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa11f0731

Read what he has wrote at the bottom.

So i am now unsure if the 4FU00 cylinder will fit your bike.

Well, forst of all thanks for answer. I come from Slovenia and last year i bought used yamaha DT125X 2006. It has gianelli and sport air filter. But i didn't know that the main yet is still the same as in original carburator so after few thousand kilometers it brake down (i dont know what is the world in English, but i think you know what i mean). Piston is completly damaged (it has a hole on the top) and the cylinder is also damaged.

Oh, my mistake, my cylinder has 3MB00 part number. It is damaged and it was already once restore. But i had good opportunity and i bought almost new piston with new rings and cylinder (it has to be re-bore) from TDR 1998 for 100€. Now i want to put this parts in my DTX. I don't know how badly is may cylinder damaged but i don't know if it can be re-bore again. Well, maybe it could be because my friend who helped me to make my motor work again temporarily (i am not an expert in this things, i just have basic knowledge) put in my motor the first piston (when my motor broke down there was the second piston in it whit just 1000km) and damaged cylinder but the motor has little compression.

Thanks.

(P.S. Sorry for my bad english)

Well, forst of all thanks for answer. I come from Slovenia and last year i bought used yamaha DT125X 2006. It has gianelli and sport air filter. But i didn't know that the main yet is still the same as in original carburator so after few thousand kilometers it brake down (i dont know what is the world in English, but i think you know what i mean). Piston is completly damaged (it has a hole on the top) and the cylinder is also damaged.

Oh, my mistake, my cylinder has 3MB00 part number. It is damaged and it was already once restore. But i had good opportunity and i bought almost new piston with new rings and cylinder (it has to be re-bore) from TDR 1998 for 100€. Now i want to put this parts in my DTX. I don't know how badly is may cylinder damaged but i don't know if it can be re-bore again. Well, maybe it could be because my friend who helped me to make my motor work again temporarily (i am not an expert in this things, i just have basic knowledge) put in my motor the first piston (when my motor broke down there was the second piston in it whit just 1000km) and damaged cylinder but the motor has little compression.

Thanks.

(P.S. Sorry for my bad english)

After searching the Internet to see if anyone has fitted a TDR cylinder to a DTX or DTR it seems you can, but its your choice as i cannot say for sure it will work.

If it was my bike i would fit the TDR cylinder and see what happens.

Is there a bike engineers/bike shop near you that you can take your DTX cylinder to and get a professional opinion on the condition and possible repair cost etc?. Or ask your friend to do it if possible.

I hope you understand what i have posted, if you do not then just ask B)

And please don't apologize for your English, it is quite good and alot better than my Slovenian.

Welcome to the Forum Tick.

Vez.

After searching the Internet to see if anyone has fitted a TDR cylinder to a DTX or DTR it seems you can, but its your choice as i cannot say for sure it will work. 

If it was my bike i would fit the TDR cylinder and see what happens.

Is there a bike engineers/bike shop near you that you can take your DTX cylinder to and get a professional opinion on the condition and possible repair cost etc?. Or ask your friend to do it if possible.

I hope you understand what i have posted, if you do not then just ask   B)

And please don't apologize for your English, it is quite good and alot better than my Slovenian.

Welcome to the Forum Tick.

Vez.

Thanks a lot, i understand everything :D. Repaired costs for cylinder are around 140€, and he said if you can feel any scratch it has to be repaired.

Probably i will drive to official service for yamaha and ask there, but i think it must fit.

At the moment i don't have a lot of money for repaired costs on official service because they are pretty expensive.

I think i could put it together by myself but i don't think i have enough courage to do that :D. I have never do that, i was just once watching, when my friend replaced old piston with new one.

Tick

Thanks a lot, i understand everything :D. Repaired costs for cylinder are around 140€, and he said if you can feel any scratch it has to be repaired.

Probably i will drive to official service for yamaha and ask there, but i think it must fit.

At the moment i don't have a lot of money for repaired costs on official service because they are pretty expensive.

I think i could put it together by myself but i don't think i have enough courage to do that :D. I have never do that, i was just once watching, when my friend replaced old piston with new one.

Tick

Official Yamaha is always expensive, I was thinking more like a small independent motorcycle shop or small engineers, 140€ sounds alot to be honest.

http://www.pjme.co.u..._Re-Boring.html < These will re-bore (repair) your cylinder for 35€ + shipping, but they can't tell you if it needs re-boring without seeing it, so a local company would be better for you. (you can get a re-bore and new piston for 90€ + shipping from there :blink: ).

If you have a piston for the TDR cylinder, why not give fitting it a try? You can always ask for help/guidance on here or even your friend may help you :)

Vez

Official Yamaha is always expensive, I was thinking more like a small independent motorcycle shop or small engineers, 140€ sounds alot to be honest.

http://www.pjme.co.u..._Re-Boring.html   < These will re-bore (repair) your cylinder for 35€ + shipping, but they can't tell you if it needs re-boring without seeing it, so a local company would be better for you. (you can get a re-bore and new piston for 90€ + shipping from there  :blink: ).

If you have a piston for the TDR cylinder, why not give fitting it a try? You can always ask for help/guidance on here or even your friend may help you  :)

Vez

i am not sure if everyone independent motorcycle shop can repair my cylinder, actually i know just this guy (who repairs it for 140€). Well, I am very cynical about this repairing for 35€. What is cylinder re-sleeving? That costs around 130€.

Actualy i will probably sell the TDR cylinder and piston back to previous owner. He said that if i dont want it anymore he will buy it back :D It is cheaper for me to buy a new piston kit.

What is the difference between this piston kit here which cost just 70€ (http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_DT125R_Engine_Parts_Top_End.html#a400) and between original yamaha piston. I buy original yamaha piston kit and gasket set for 140€ including shipping costs about one month ago. This piston kit is much cheaper i think.

Tick

i am not sure if everyone independent motorcycle shop can repair my cylinder, actually i know just this guy (who repairs it for 140€). Well, I am very cynical about this repairing for 35€. What is cylinder re-sleeving? That costs around 130€.

Actualy i will probably sell the TDR cylinder and piston back to previous owner. He said that if i dont want it anymore he will buy it back :D It is cheaper for me to buy a new piston kit.

What is the difference between this piston kit here which cost just 70€ (http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_DT125R_Engine_Parts_Top_End.html#a400) and between original yamaha piston. I buy original yamaha piston kit and gasket set for 140€ including shipping costs about one month ago. This piston kit is much cheaper i think.

Tick

Re-sleeving involves removing the old cylinder liner(sleeve) and replacing it with a new liner(sleeve) and will be expensive, usually cheaper to replace the cylinder with a good second hand one.

Re-boring on the other hand is simply shaving away a small amount of the cylinder liner to remove any damage/scratches etc, to leave a good surface. Most cylinders (like the 3MB00) are designed to be re-bored, this is why you can buy different sizes of pistons for the same bike. Another kind of cylinder (like the 4FU00) has a nikasil(or similar) plating on the liner and are alot more expensive to repair.

The piston you linked too at pjme is a perfectly good piston (probably as good as Yamaha), i have heard of lots of people using them with no problems at all. Yamaha will charge you more just because it has a Yamaha name on it. 70€  :o i get 53€ on that link for the piston kit.

The gasket kits on the other hand are better when from Yamaha.

Vez.

Ok, thanks. Yes, this cylinder has nickasil, so it has to be removed and replaced with new layer of nickasil.

For this piston i heard that they are really low quality and that i should buy org piston or (better) vertex piston.

Tnx

Ok, thanks. Yes, this cylinder has nickasil, so it has to be removed and replaced with new layer of nickasil.

For this piston i heard that they are really low quality and that i should buy org piston or (better) vertex piston.

Tnx

'Mitaka' piston low quality??

No sir I dont think so :rolleyes:

Mitaka = good

'Mitaka' piston low quality??

No sir I dont think so  :rolleyes:

Mitaka = good

I second that. ^^

Who told you that mitaka are are poor quality ?  :lol: , do they work for Yamaha by any chance?

Tnx

The original cylinder 3MB00 will be ALOT cheaper to repair.

If you have paid 100€ for the 3FU00 cylinder and it needs re-coating you have been ripped off, take it back and get a refund. :blink:

The original cylinder 3MB00 will be ALOT cheaper to repair.

If you have paid 100€ for the 3FU00 cylinder and it needs re-coating you have been ripped off, take it back and get a refund.  :blink:

Well, dont attack me, i just wrote what i had heard. So you think that mitaka is good quality.

Yes, I can take it back and get a refund, but i will have to take back piston kit as well (i bought it with cylinder fo 100€).

So you think i should buy mitaka piston and repair original cylinder?

Tick

Well, dont attack me, i just wrote what i had heard. So you think that mitaka is good quality.

Yes, I can take it back and get a refund, but i will have to take back piston kit as well (i bought it with cylinder fo 100€).

So you think i should buy mitaka piston and repair original cylinder?

Tick

I wasn't attacking you, apologies if it came across like that.  :(

It doesn't make sense that someone would sell you a piston kit with the 3FU00 if the cylinder needed repairing. If the 3FU00 is ok, then fit that with the piston kit you have.

IF the 3FU00 does need re-coating, then I would take your 3MB00 to a place and get a price for repairing it.

If it is repairable and cheaper to do than the 3FU00, then I would take the 3FU00 back and get a refund and spend the cash on the 3MB00 and a Mitaka piston kit.

This is just my opinion.

Vez.

I wasn't attacking you, apologies if it came across like that.  :(

It doesn't make sense that someone would sell you a piston kit with the 3FU00 if the cylinder needed repairing. If the 3FU00 is ok, then fit that with the piston kit you have.

IF the 3FU00 does need re-coating, then I would take your 3MB00 to a place and get a price for repairing it.

If it is repairable and cheaper to do than the 3FU00, then I would take the 3FU00 back and get a refund and spend the cash on the 3MB00 and a Mitaka piston kit.

This is just my opinion.

Vez.

I opend my engine today and my old piston is on the top completely black. What colour should it be? Silver? And cylinder has a lot of scratches but i cant feel it. So i dont know if it needs to be repaired.

I opend my engine today and my old piston is on the top completely black. What colour should it be? Silver? And cylinder has a lot of scratches but i cant feel it. So i dont know if it needs to be repaired.

Im getting very confused as to what is actually wrong with your bike now. I think you should start a new thread of your own and start from the beginning with the problems with the bike ect. as it may atract more viewers and advice.

Why is your bike not running? what problems were you having to make you decide the bike wasn't running? So many questions make it hard to give accurate advice.

A black piston is nothing to worry about, its just carbon buildup like you get in your exhaust port etc. would be an idea to clean it up while the bike is apart though.

Are you sure the cylinder is scratched and not just the honing marks?

Pictures are always a great help, especially when you start a new thread.

Vez.

Im getting very confused as to what is actually wrong with your bike now. I think you should start a new thread of your own and start from the beginning with the problems with the bike ect. as it may atract more viewers and advice.

Why is your bike not running? what problems were you having to make you decide the bike wasn't running? So many questions make it hard to give accurate advice.

A black piston is nothing to worry about, its just carbon buildup like you get in your exhaust port etc. would be an idea to clean it up while the bike is apart though.

Are you sure the cylinder is scratched and not just the honing marks?

Pictures are always a great help, especially when you start a new thread.

Vez.

My motor was running great until it broke down. I suppose it brakes down because it has sport exhaust system (gianelli) and sport air filter but the main yet was the same. There was not enough petrol and oil and i think that it stopped working because of that. Do you have any idea what could went wrong?

Here are some photos (sorry for bad quality, i dont have digital camera so i take pictures with my mobile phone):

dsc02196.jpg

dsc02199.jpg

dsc02200.jpg

dsc02207.jpg

dsc02203.jpg

dsc02204.jpg

I dont have cylinder at home at the moment so i couldnt take a photo of it.

Thanks, Tick.

Ok, now i find out why has this happened. It is not because of too small main jet. Well may be also because if this. But the main cause is, i think, about 2mm deep groove inside of cylinder made by axle which hold together piston and conrod. This ting went out of its normal position go to the right side and it was rubbing against cylinder. But i am very confused because this axle is not damaged at all. i cant believe that i was driving with so much damage on cylinder for about 200km per day. I also dont know why is so big hole on the top on cylinder and why is spark plug completly destroyed and why are scratches all around the cylinder.

I hope i will get answers because i am really confused and sad because of all that shit which is going on whit my yamaha for about 1 month now. All i want is to ride my bike safely without worries that it will brake down again. I dont know if i will be able to trust my bike again and if i will have enough courage to drive with full throttle.

Thanks for help.

Ok, now i find out why has this happened. It is not because of too small main jet. Well may be also because if this. But the main cause is, i think, about 2mm deep groove inside of cylinder made by axle which hold together piston and conrod. This ting went out of its normal position go to the right side and it was rubbing against cylinder. But i am very confused because this axle is not damaged at all. i cant believe that i was driving with so much damage on cylinder for about 200km per day. I also dont know why is so big hole on the top on cylinder and why is spark plug completly destroyed and why are scratches all around the cylinder.

I hope i will get answers because i am really confused and sad because of all that shit which is going on whit my yamaha for about 1 month now. All i want is to ride my bike safely without worries that it will brake down again. I dont know if i will be able to trust my bike again and if i will have enough courage to drive with full throttle.

Thanks for help.

Sorry for the late reply, been really busy with end of year college work.

Anyway, from the sound of the gudgeon pin damage(the tube thing holding the con-rod and piston together), i think that some one has replaced an old cir-clip instead of using new when they have fitted the piston and they are known for coming out when reused.

What has probably caused the damage with the piston melting is a lean fuel/air mixture (too much air) making the bike run hotter, more than likely caused by fitting the after market exhaust and air-filter. To fix this you need a larger main jet in the carb, I think the standard size is a 210 and you should probably have a 240 or 250 depending on the air filter type.  And also check for any air leaks around the rubber inlet manifold.

There are other problems that may have contributed to the damage, so you really should get a second opinion from someone who can see the bike before fitting anything.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it would be for the best.

Vez.