1974 dt 125 ingnition timing

Guest yamadog
This post is 5247 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

anyone timed a dt 125 without the use of a dial gauge ?

Hi, I have a 70s DT 175 twin shock, to check the timing I got an old spark plug bust out the ceramics, made sure that all the ceramics had been cleaned off, I then got a longish bolt with the shank that was just the right diameter for the remaining hole in the plug, I then screwed the modified bolt/plug into the cylinder head in the centre plug hole, I rotated the engine slowly by hand, marked TDC on the bolt then made a mark at the stated mm BTDC. You have to be careful when turning the engine over so the bolt does not jam up the engine and if you use a bolt with the head still on the bolt wont fall into the cylinder, worked for me :))

Ive used a old fashion metal sliding vernier before.

Take your plug out and rest the opposite end of vernier to which you normally measure from,down towards your piston.

Then slowly turn crank to t.d.c and take the reading,and make your mark on magneto to case.

Then turn crank again but allow for your 1.8mm (or whatever your dt model allowance is) b.t.d.c. and make your mark again on magneto to case.

Crude yes,but does work :D

Hi, I have a 70s DT 175 twin shock,

Aye nayruf" i had one same as,1976- Bad memories of tryin to adjust points ,fiddly little gap in fly-wheel, ,and tools were crap back then too

Doing it that way is very crude, but yes you can do it. I'd suggest you get a tool that screwed into the spark plug hole with a rod that won't disappear inside the cylinder and with the timing marks for your engine clearly marked on the rod (or a inches/mm scale). Using this sort of tool means you have both hands free to turn the engine whilst watching the opening of the points. I have messed about with verniers and bits of welding rod but you end up moving them about and taking measurements from slightly different parts of the piston, which will throw the timing way off.

This method is OK for lowly tuned engines like side valve singles and MZs, but I'd check it with a timing light for anything else.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online