Motorcycling in the wind

Descendo
This post is 5270 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning all,

I am new, both to the forum and also motorcycling. Apologies if this has been covered before, but just wanted some information from seasoned riders. I got myself a Yamaha YBR 125 Custom in June this year after passing my CBT. This was mainly to commute to work, when breaking it in I was using country lanes (summer was decent, dry weather) so it was great fun. When I broke it in and the weather got worse I started using the A2 road (4 lane A road, practically a motorway in Kent)

Here's my question. I appreciate it's a small bike, but the wind really seems to effect my ride. Even at 10mph or so. But when I see other guys (even on 125's Maurader) it doesn't seem to effect their ride? I am constantly leaning into the wind (right most of the time) and can see how far I'm leaning via sun/street lamps. But when I look at other riders they always seem bolt upright? Could this be a problem with my bike? Or is it just a case of me over compensating or is this just the way it is?

Any advice/information would be great appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

can see how far I'm leaning via sun/street lamps.

Can you explain more on this bit. I'm curious.

Riding in wind isn't an exact science.

Heavier bikes do help. That's the first thing I noticed in the transition from 125 to 650.

First, make sure all your pockets are closed and there's little chance of the wind getting inside your clothing. Otherwise, you'll have what I call the Parachute Effect. Wind catches inside your kit and inflates you up like a parachute, dragging you off course.

Second, experience. After riding for a bit you'll start learning to respond better to the sudden wind blasts. It's frightening at first, but the appropriate level of compensation will come with judgement. Be aware that half the time (especially on unfaired bikes) it's not the wind blowing the bike, but the wind blowing YOU. Your movement as you bluster about in the wind blast will affect the bike.

For now, be aware of windy days, be ready to take action and learn to recognise places where the wind may be highr - Exposed areas, high bridges, big gaps in hedgerows etc...

Can you explain more on this bit. I'm curious.

Riding in wind isn't an exact science.

Heavier bikes do help. That's the first thing I noticed in the transition from 125 to 650.

First, make sure all your pockets are closed and there's little chance of the wind getting inside your clothing. Otherwise, you'll have what I call the Parachute Effect. Wind catches inside your kit and inflates you up like a parachute, dragging you off course.

Second, experience. After riding for a bit you'll start learning to respond better to the sudden wind blasts. It's frightening at first, but the appropriate level of compensation will come with judgement. Be aware that half the time (especially on unfaired bikes) it's not the wind blowing the bike, but the wind blowing YOU. Your movement as you bluster about in the wind blast will affect the bike.

For now, be aware of windy days, be ready to take action and learn to recognise places where the wind may be higher - Exposed areas, high bridges, big gaps in hedgerows etc...

Thanks for the reply and advice, I always make sure to close all pockets. I did read a tip that said keep your elbows low/in rather than out which does seem to make myself more aerodynamic.

In relation to sun/street lamps. I mean if I catch my shadow on the road, I can actually see how far I am leaning over which in comparison to other motorcyclists I see is no where near the same. As I said, even people riding on a similar bike to myself, perhaps I am over compensating but it does feel necessary!

Dont look at street lamps signs or other street furniture too much if you concentrate on em you will find yourself riding into them, if it does all go tits up and you are heading for something look for the gap not what you think you are about to hit, you tend to ride toward thew object you are looking at

Does your bike have a screen or any kind of windshield? Something like that would probably help you out when on motorway journeys but otherwise you should just keep your head down but not tense up too much because you need to react to any strong gusts of wind.

What kind of effect is the wind having on your bike? Are you going side to side or does it just feel like it's struggling against the wind? I've found that now i've got a bigger bike everything is more stable because of the weight and the extra power I have. When I had a 125 it always seemed to struggle so you just have to deal with it.

Just try and relax and don't try to fight any wobble or power problems, if you fight it too much you'll probably tense up and over compensate which will just get yourself in trouble.

You'll only overcome this by experience, and the only way to get that is to get out and ride in it. Before long you'll develope a sense of whats going on and you'll compensate without thinking about it.

One or two things will make life easier;

Look out for gaps in the roadside hedges/walls, you'll often get a gust here

when passing wagons, take care when clearing them, again you might pick up a gust

Think about your road possition if you are being blown about, make sure you have enough space to get blown off course without going into the oncoming traffic!

Don't worry, befroe long you'll be asking questions about riding in ice, or on gritted roads, about the low sun, the cold, the wet etc It's all part of becoming a proper motorcyclist, you never stop learning.

Good advice above.

I remember riding my 50cc scooter in strong winds, got to a bend and couldn't lean the scooter over to take it as the wind was that strong - had to slow right down to get round... My 125 has a bit more weight but I still get batted about by the wind to some extent.

The most important thing to remember is ride to the conditions, you do get 'use' to wind/bad conditions with experience, but just remember to allow more time and take it easy out there.

ok, i weigh about 110 pounds (7-8 stone) and im on an enduro 175

the wind pushes me as if im a tumbleweed. but i have gotten quite used to it. while i used to ride as a kid for a few years, it was never on roads. but as soon as i started riding the roads last year, i noticed that i was almost automatically compensating for wind/gusts

and yeah, it makes me lean to one side sometimes.

especially when the wind is 40 mph and broadsiding me

I always keep my eyes open for visual clues of a coming gust, or that i will be driving into one. I look far ahead, for dust or debris crossing the road, and i watch the trees and plants and things ahead to see how much they are moving/ bending.

Does your bike have a screen or any kind of windshield? Something like that would probably help you out when on motorway journeys but otherwise you should just keep your head down but not tense up too much because you need to react to any strong gusts of wind.

What kind of effect is the wind having on your bike? Are you going side to side or does it just feel like it's struggling against the wind? I've found that now i've got a bigger bike everything is more stable because of the weight and the extra power I have. When I had a 125 it always seemed to struggle so you just have to deal with it.

Just try and relax and don't try to fight any wobble or power problems, if you fight it too much you'll probably tense up and over compensate which will just get yourself in trouble.

No windscreen, but planning on adding one as it should only help!

In relation to the effect, it feels like it's struggling against the wind. I am constantly leaning on my right into the wind, as it feels like the bike will just go left if I didn't. I guess it's just something to get used to, it is a very windy road, but also the bike is very light, certainly compared to other bikes, even 125's.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice, all noted.

Always, always, always to the right?

Might not be just the wind, then... You had the bike serviced since you've had it?

95% of the time to the right. It's more of a suprise when I have to lean into the wind on the left.

Which made me wonder if something is wrong. But when travelling on other A roads etc.. not as windy (40/50mph), it's fine. Not suggestion of a steering issue then.

I came off the bike on a country lane, a day before the first service(600 mile service) and they cleaned everything up and knew the issues with it.

It's due for it's 3,500 serive in about 500 miles.

I also have a YBR 125 and was out yesterday fighting the wind and the rain. I do agree that it is a very light bike and it does get affected badly by the winds but by far the best solution is to cut your speed a bit, the bike is much easier to handle in winds at lower speeds. It may mean you have an impatient car sitting on your tail but that's far better that than risking veering into the opposite carraigeway.

I'm about to go out in the next 30 mins and there are 60mph gusts out there today, needless to say I'll be going a bit slower than normal :)

Ride safe, and enjoy.

Was out on my XVS1300 yesterday in strong wind. It weighs about 450kg (bike, me + the other half) and the wind moved the bike on the open road across the lanes + nearly took the other half off the back :o . Dropped the speed from 70 to about 60mph and that helped.

Afraid its the nature of bikes and wind (only solution is to get a car, but even these are affected by wind).

Having said that, if your bike always goes to the right you've either got a prevailing wind that always blows in one direction, you naturally lean to the right when you ride, or there could be something with the bike? If you're worried it's the bike get it looked at sooner than later as if there is a fault with the bike it needs fixing asap.

Just done A66 on the way home just now.... had to get the knee down just to keep it going in a straight line. Its the worst conditions i have ever ridden in, was kind of fun and very scary at the same time especially when a ambulance of all things pulled out right in front of me!!! Wonder what they would have done? Scooped me up or called for another to come get me. Had me over the other side of the road, nowt coming the other way hence this post.

I found tucking in neat and giving it more right hand did the trick.

Of late, I was wondering why my riding was a bit shit...

And I do mean 'a bit' - Slightly off-line, a touch more effort controlling the bike, stuff like that.

I suspected I was just tired, or hadn't properly woken up yet... Until I remembered this thread and realised it was just the high winds :lol:

Of late, I was wondering why my riding was a bit shit...

And I do mean 'a bit' - Slightly off-line, a touch more effort controlling the bike, stuff like that.

I suspected I was just tired, or hadn't properly woken up yet... Until I remembered this thread and realised it was just the high winds :lol:

Haha. Good stuff.

In relation to my issue. I think I am a natural right side leaner. On my journey to work, I have less of an issue, but on the way back, the trip feels different (maybe the road) but I often feel like I need to lean right more for some reason. I think it could all just be a psychological thing!

Eitherway, am only 400 miles off my second service so I will mention and see what they come back with, if anything!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online