Primary carburetor fuel leak

JJ660
This post is 5303 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone, this is my first post.

i have bought a XTZ660 92, it's my first bike. I tried to start it up this morning and fuel started leaking from the primary carb, i have looked in my manual and it is the overflow ( i think? ), I have found a pipe that looks like it should be one the attached to it, I just need some advice if it is the right one. the pipe looks like it goes back up towards the underneath of the fuel tank to a T junction and back down the other side towards the gear lever.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Jay

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: jay

why are you worried about an overflow pipe. the issue here is you have a fuel leak and its usually down to float valve wear or crap in the fuel preventing a seal!

either wy you MAY get away with tapping the carb body to seat the valve, failing that you need to strip the carbs down and replace the valves. Get the kits from

when donw ensure you have fitted an inline fuel filter, those are easier to change than stripping carbs!

drewps

Drewps

Thank you for reply, i'm going to take the carb off and give it a good clean, i'll look on the website you suggested and order the kit before I clean it. Thanks for tip on inline fuel filter as well

Any tips on cleaning a carb as this will be my first time having a go?

Got my manual with strip down and rebuild instructions

Jay

a few pointers here

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

http://jrs.uk.com/JRS_Home.html

make sure you have al gaskets, you will need an impact driver for those bloody float bowl screws ( unless they are allen type)

borrow an ultrasonic cleaner for the parts.

have a manual handy and work CLEAN!

make sure you have al gaskets, you will need an impact driver for those bloody float bowl screws ( unless they are allen type)

borrow an ultrasonic cleaner for the parts.

Absolutly, a lot of the time they are loctied in, or being steel in ally they 'grow' together. Get some stainless (they wont stick but will need a drop of threadlock or some springwashers) replacements ready before you start.

"Still shouldnt overflow though, a petcock left on 'Prime' is the same as a pre vac operated petcock in 'ON' position. "

Oops...I realized that just as I sent the reply.....first day with a new brain..... :offtopic:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online