new bike 1974 DT175

zibzer
This post is 4239 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, my names Anthony and im new to the forum and am looking forward to becoming a contributing member. I just bought a 1974 dt175 and have a few questions about it.

first is there an oil injection on this bike? the lady at the yamaha store seemed to think there is but I cant find it anywhere. Ive been mixing gas/oil 40:1

i was out riding today with no problems in a parking lot so me and a friend decided to go to a dirt track. my buddy drove around the track a few times and ran out of gas (he didnt turn the valve to on). so we turned the valve to on and restarted. when shifting to first it would jump and stall out on us. it did this maybe 5 times and on the 6th or so try it started going in 1st but only about 40 feet and the whole time it was surging like the engine was cutting in and out. Anybody have any suggestions???

last question.. The gearbox oil (im assuming gearbox oil, its next to the kickstart) is blue... i always thought blue was only for 2-stroke mix? is it possible the guy before me was using the wrong oil in there? What oil SHOULD be in it? thanks everyone!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a 74 dt175 also. here is what i know:

I was told to use a non-hypoid gearbox oil in my case. so thats what i use. 5000 recent miles and no problems.

also, your oil tank should be under your seat. is there a metal cover looking thing on the right side of the bike with a glass bubble? if so, thats the oil tank.

i use penzoil 2-stroke oil in the oil tank.

your throttle cable should split in two and head for the carb and the engine block above the rear brake lever, that line is to the oil pump if you have one.

it could have been running poorly because of a clogged filter, or sometimes it does that to me if i start it and drive off (from stopping after running out of fuel from not turning the valve on) too soon, and the bowl in the carb isnt full yet.

but first off you MUST sort out the oil tank, or lack thereof issue. im sorry but i dont know what the ratio is.

thanks for the info. Got it working today. I verified the oil that was in the crankcase was wrong so I put in some 10w-40 and seems to run great now! better than ever before... that oil he had in there before made it wrong like hell compared to now. I can almost come to a stop in 3rd gear before stalling it out and putt around in 4th/5th at low speed listening to the music that this little single-cylinder makes. Awesome bike! I think im a Yamaha fan for life now :D

other info. sometime between 1974-2009 the oil reservoir was disconnected so i have to mix the oil, but that's good with me, i've been using 2 stroke motors in boats for a long time and am used to it.

Sweet bike, man! I just got a DT175 yesterday too! Mine's a 75. Not to hijack your thread....

Say, did you have to do any carb work or anything to get it up and running? I've got a rusty inner tank, and from the way the bike runs poorly, I'd say it needs a carb and petcock cleaning as well as the rust treatment. Was wondering if that was about standard for these older bikes... Let me know if you find a website or a way to verify year by VIN or engine serial. I'd like to check out mine too.

Sweet bike, man! I just got a DT175 yesterday too! Mine's a 75. Not to hijack your thread....

Say, did you have to do any carb work or anything to get it up and running? I've got a rusty inner tank, and from the way the bike runs poorly, I'd say it needs a carb and petcock cleaning as well as the rust treatment. Was wondering if that was about standard for these older bikes... Let me know if you find a website or a way to verify year by VIN or engine serial. I'd like to check out mine too.

thanks for the compliment. These dt175 are really nice and good to see a few of you guys with the same bike on the forum. I cleaned the petcock first thing when I bought it because fuel was barely leaking out and making the bike run like crap (one of the reasons I got it cheap). Then I changed the plugs and gapped .028 NGK b8es. If today I couldn't get it running good I was gonna clean the carb but luckily I didn't need to do that. I never saw this bike run brand new but I would like to say it ran like a brand new bike today. Started 2nd kick and could go walking speed in 3rd gear. I as impresses with it considering it's a 35 year old bike. Anyways enjoy your bike!

EDIT

drain your carb bowl at the very least. I did that the same time I cleaned the petcock. The fuel was brownish coloured like tea. That can't be a good thing

thanks for the compliment. These dt175 are really nice and good to see a few of you guys with the same bike on the forum. I cleaned the petcock first thing when I bought it because fuel was barely leaking out and making the bike run like crap (one of the reasons I got it cheap). Then I changed the plugs and gapped .028 NGK b8es. If today I couldn't get it running good I was gonna clean the carb but luckily I didn't need to do that. I never saw this bike run brand new but I would like to say it ran like a brand new bike today. Started 2nd kick and could go walking speed in 3rd gear. I as impresses with it considering it's a 35 year old bike. Anyways enjoy your bike!

EDIT

drain your carb bowl at the very least. I did that the same time I cleaned the petcock. The fuel was brownish coloured like tea. That can't be a good thing

Thanks, man. I have ordered some Evap-O-rust, and I'm gonna soak the inside of the tank, and clean the petcock real well, as well as a good carb clean. I'm thinking that should get me up to speed. I'm glad I found this forum! I'm sure I'll be asking you guys all sorts of questions in the future. Happy to be a member, and meet you all! Cheers!

uh oh, I just ordered a part for a '74. Can anyone verify the year for me? Engine serial 443-020746

Thats a point, the engine does look like an earlier one, mine has radial finning on the head, however the frame is a monoshock and they werent around in 1974, do the engine and frame numbers match?

Thats a point, the engine does look like an earlier one, mine has radial finning on the head, however the frame is a monoshock and they werent around in 1974, do the engine and frame numbers match?

ill check today before I head to work

ill check today before I head to work

According to the numbers that motor is a US spec 1974 DT175A, the frame could be 125 or 175. My guess would be a 125 frame with a 175 motor. Need the number really.

As far as modding for off road your already there, on road will be more complicated.

Hey everyone. This thread encouraged me to check out my motor's serial number according to the site posted above...

My numbers read 443-115168. My bike's title says it's a '75. These numbers would confirm that, correct?

Ive got that listed as a DT175 B Late 74 to late 75. The us model years run like this for some reason.

Ive got that listed as a DT175 B Late 74 to late 75. The us model years run like this for some reason.

The engine is from a 1975 DT 175B.

oops where are my manners. Here is a pic of my little bike!

6354l5_20.jpeg

Next step... Is there anyway to mod this for street/offroad use????

This bike is soo clean and nice gray tone!

congrats!

Rapco

Proud dt owner!

• 3 years later...

Nice ride, zibzer. These are fun bikes and I only wish I could find a second one. An inline fuel filter isn't a bad investment as part of your tune up, especially if your tank is nasty. I use straight gas in the tank with the oil pump on my DT so I'm assuming filters work ok with premix. Don't forget to check the air filter and clean and oil it well.