bike will not start

black night
This post is 5401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a xj 600. it will not start. it turns over but will not fire up. sound like it is not get petrol. have changed the fuel filter but this has not fixed it. help what eles mit be up

have you removed the plugs and tried the spark test? :mellow:

dont know how to do that. tell me and i will go and try it

remove one of the outer plugs, 1 or 4, re-attach the lead, place plug with the threaded section touching the cylinder head and hit the start button, you should see a nice blue/white spark between the electrodes :unsure:

remove one of the outer plugs, 1 or 4, re-attach the lead, place plug with the threaded section touching the cylinder head and hit the start button, you should see a nice blue/white spark between the electrodes :unsure:

if you smell petrol in that area, leave it for 10 mins, have a fire Xtinguisher handy :mellow:

I just had the same problem on my '92 XJ600 last week. It seems that replacing the battery fixed my problem, but I did do a complete check on the charging system (replaced my R/R, but I think my old one was still OK), ignition system and starting system. Please read my post here http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17872 for more info on my problems and solutions to see it you are experiencing the same thing. I would also suggest buying a good user manual. I do not know what year bike you have, but here is an ebay listing for the manual I have and have found it quite useful. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XJ60...0630178006r9208

The manual will give detailed instruction on how to troubleshoot your bike including the spark test mentioned in your post. Having the manual will save you a lot of money on shop costs if you are willing to tinker with the bike yourself.

To do the spark test: Remove one of the spark plug wires from the spark plug. Remove the spark plug. Plug the spark plug back into the spark plug wire. Hold the tip of the spark plug against a good ground source such as the cylinder head (hold the plug by the wire not the plug itself). While resting the tip of the spark plug against or close to the ground source, press you starter button and observe if there is a spark between your plug and the ground source. Reinstall the plug and do the same test for the other plugs.

If you read my post linked above, you will see that when I performed this test, I did not get a spark on any of the plugs, but if i push started the bike it fired right up and ran strong. Again, for me, replacing the battery fixed my problem. However, since it seems everything one the bike is expensive, it would be wise to properly troubleshoot and diagnose the problem before starting to throw random parts at it.

Good Luck

if you smell petrol in that area, leave it for 10 mins, have a fire Xtinguisher handy :mellow:

3 and 4 are sparking but 1 and 2 are not. when i swop the plugs arond 1 and 2 spark. so i thingk i need some new plugs. as i have tryed cleaning them up but still not working. go to the shop tomorrow after work

Black night needs to do all that and a bit more. He should check that his earths (grounds) are all good and the battery connections are tight. Other things to check are the kill button and the side stand switch.

3 and 4 are sparking but 1 and 2 are not. when i swop the plugs arond 1 and 2 spark. so i thingk i need some new plugs. as i have tryed cleaning them up but still not working. go to the shop tomorrow after work

if you have feeler guages you could try 'gapping' them first, would think it pretty unusual for two plugs from the same side of the block to fail :mellow:

you can also turn the bike over several times and then remove the plug and see if its wet, and smell it, if it is wet and smells like gas then you're getting petrol my good sir

i have put new plugs in the bike 2 day and it will now start. but i need to hold the throttlel open 2 keep it runing when i let it go it just die's

Idle speed?

Air/fuel mixture?

I've managed to knock both inadvertently while doing maintenance before.

Idle speed?

Air/fuel mixture?

I've managed to knock both inadvertently while doing maintenance before.

i have been haveing a read at my haynes manual for the bike all it has in it some generl information do tell me how 2 do it. do u know how?

i have been haveing a read at my haynes manual for the bike all it has in it some generl information do tell me how 2 do it. do u know how?

At the top of page 25 the left hand picture shows the 'throttle stop screw',its arrowed 'A', try turning this by a small amount one way or the other and see if this helps, if you look up between the cylinders and the starter motor you can see it there :)

At the top of page 25 the left hand picture shows the 'throttle stop screw',its arrowed 'A', try turning this by a small amount one way or the other and see if this helps, if you look up between the cylinders and the starter motor you can see it there :)

[/quote

have tryed that it did not make any difference. there is some black smoke comeing out of the exhaust when i try to start it. i just checked all the plugs 2 see if there was petrol geting to them and there was. but when i pulled out nomber 3 plug there was a bit of smoke comeing up from the hole. looked the same as was comeing out of the exhaust. do you thingk this is where my problem is?

Well dont panic, you will get smoke coming out of the plug ports, the smoke from exhaust may disappear after running for 5 mins, when you hold the throttle does it run smooth or is it lumpy? :mellow:

Well dont panic, you will get smoke coming out of the plug ports, the smoke from exhaust may disappear after running for 5 mins, when you hold the throttle does it run smooth or is it lumpy? :mellow:

it is lumpy. i was not panicing i am just trying to give you as much information as i can

it is lumpy. i was not panicing i am just trying to give you as much information as i can

best advice I can give is to have the carbs balanced, someone with the kit if poss as a garage will do the scratchy forehead thing, good luck, and post the results :)

best advice I can give is to have the carbs balanced, someone with the kit if poss as a garage will do the scratchy forehead thing, good luck, and post the results :)

ok i will do that. thanks for the help. will let u know how it gos

ok i will do that. thanks for the help. will let u know how it gos

No worries and sorry I couldnt be more help than that :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online