Just picked up this xs 400

jordanscycles
This post is 5400 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It's a 1978 xs 400 that I just bought off craigslist for 450$. Seemed too good to resist. Also my dad had bought one of these brand new in 1980. It's going to need the carbuerators rebuilt, and the kickstart was put on wrong by the last person. But it does start easily with the electric start and idles with no odd noises. Just thought I'd share.

6qv48n.jpg28ulqhk.jpg2lwkn0h.jpg2elqa7b.jpg11uups8.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just went through the kick start shaft, and the last person didnt tension the spring before closing up. Works great, just kick started it and it fired, but it'll need that carb rebuild, I think that's next.

I'm just going into a 78 XS400 for the starter clutch.... The Haynes' pretty slim on procedures and IDing things. WHat's the thing that looks like a tapet adjuster under the rubber plug on the left side chain cover... Looks like that has to come free before the chain cover, then the alt. cover can come off....

I'm just going into a 78 XS400 for the starter clutch.... The Haynes' pretty slim on procedures and IDing things. WHat's the thing that looks like a tapet adjuster under the rubber plug on the left side chain cover... Looks like that has to come free before the chain cover, then the alt. cover can come off....

I believe its the clutch adjuster.

I believe its the clutch adjuster.

correct and it doesn't need to come off to remove the chain cover. if all the bolts are out a little tap with a rubber mallet should free it!!

nice bike and have fun with the carbs.

BTW we have a classic section you might want to post in as you will get a better response to your queries. I also posted a sticky there for xs stuff

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online