restricted 600 vs a 125 or 250

Dan92
This post is 5434 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey i am approaching my 17th birthday and im unsure of what bike i want next, as i am going to take my test i will be restricted to a 33bhp licence for two years. i was wondering weather a restricted 33bhp yamaha R6 would be a better option than a 125 or a 250 for example an 08 kawasaki ninja. i am farmiliar with the method of restricting carb bikes but not fuel injected ones and i understand there is drawbacks in performance with one of these types. any help, further information or advise would be much apreciated..... cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

haha 33bhp R6's are pants they pull crap and top out crap get a 600 thats more near to 33bhp like my bike i 660cc at 45bhp

plus a r6 will cost you a bomb to insure

Barwell's right. If you are going to restrict a bike it's better to get one which is close to 33bhp already.

ohh ye for got to say i have riden a 33bhp R6 and as i sead it pulls crap and tops out crap plus if its not restricted then you WILL kill ure self so dont even think about it

i would say get a 250cc or a DT175cc

if you want fast get a aprilia RS250cc they top out at 130mph but expect to be rebuilding them evory 2000miles

if you want fast get a aprilia RS250cc they top out at 130mph but expect to be rebuilding them evory 2000miles

Good luck finding one as well! They're getting rarer and rarer by the day.

If you want something that's quick but still under the 33bhp limit you will have to go with a two stroke. The problem with a two stroke is the obvious maintenance issue. They are harder and more costly to maintain than a four stroke and there is more chance of them blowing up.

Good luck finding one as well! They're getting rarer and rarer by the day.

If you want something that's quick but still under the 33bhp limit you will have to go with a two stroke. The problem with a two stroke is the obvious maintenance issue. They are harder and more costly to maintain than a four stroke and there is more chance of them blowing up.

yup agred my 50cc was a pain in the ass to start with then had a top end rebuild and was fine but was coming near to needing a rebuild again

Some good advice so far, after passing your test you won't want a 125, probably not want a 250 either. After I passed mine and rode a 600 I was kicking myself for wasting so much money on 125's! Restricted 600's are a good way to go but you have to be sensible about it, sportsbikes generally do not restrict well. Wouldn't worry too much about what bhp the bike your restricting is, like I said as long as your sensible. My bandit makes about 73bhp I think, restricted I can still get 105mph out of it (uphill, still had loads left to give :mellow: )

Yea when one of my mates passed his test a few years ago he bought a new diversion and got it restricted it did all he wanted and he got them removed after 2years and said its like riding a different bike he also said they helped him get his confedence build up over the 2 years

Do they still make Diversion 600's

Gerald

Restricted 600 would be my advice, you get used to riding a big bike so you're all set for when the two years are up. You also you dont have to worry about loosing money by trying to trade in a 33hp bike when you gain a full license, just whip the limiter off. Performance wise you're still going to get a thrill, just dont expect to be the fastest on the road but again, thats not the point of riding on the roads. Insurance-wise look at the quotes for various models and decide for yourself but be aware that running a bigger displacement bike will have the associated costs (fuel, tyres chain etc etc) but you'll probably end up paying a certain amount for that on any bike you get. Personally I've never had an experience of two strokes but whilst they are arguably fun, I have heard and seen from freinds that do have them that they do require quite a bit more work, so unless you have time & skill or a lot of money for the stealerships then I wouldn't advise you choose a two stroke for your first 33hp bike. Like I said, this is only my view, some (arguably more experienced) users may disagree but at the end of the day its always a personal choice of the rider, just important that you appreciate the relevant factors :-)

Whatever you choose you'll have a great time, and when you're out on a good road having a nice ride you'll realise that it doesn't matter if your bikes not "the best" so long as it makes you happy! :D

Your other option is a nice four stroke 400. A bandit if you like the style or if you're more into sports bikes then maybe a VFR? I'm not sure about the power of these bikes but if they are over 33bhp then at least they're closer and so the restriction won't make as much difference.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind tinkering around with 2 strokes then a TZR250 2MA will be spot on. Reliablity is very good and they are simple to work on but still perform well. I have had loads of 2 strokes including the rocketship RG500 and also 4 strokes like the GSXR1100 but the TZR250 has something about it, quick enough to keep me interested and good handling with light weight make it fun. Restricting it to 33hp will be cheap and the bike won't suffer much for it. I love my TZR250 and can't see me ever selling it.

I was just gonna say...

A 400cc is usually around the 33 mark anyway, so no need to restict (do check first, though)!!

That way it'll do all you want and you can keep it for a good few years!

XJR400s are very nice bikes - And they're Yamahas!!

Did my DAS on one.

I'd agree with a 400 restricted, my mate has an RVF and that restricted still runs really well, i had my 2000 R6 restricted and it didnt idle to well but still pulled a treat, dont de-restrict it and pull the throttle wide open though because the power goes above 33 at about 5-6k. I would defiantely go for a 400, thats what i should have done, if you do go for a 600 make sure the carbs are cleaned and balanced before you fit the kit

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online