Is high octain fuel any good ?

pete 1989
This post is 5447 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have got a ybr 125 and i am currantly running it in and i am wondering weather to use a high octain fuel such as Bp unltimate (97 ron), shell opimax (97 ron) or sansburys own brand super (97 ron).

I sort of know the theory behind useing higher octain fuels, the higher the octain the more stable the fuel is so there is less chance of it miss fireing/ pre ignition of the fuel in the cylinder. I was looking on BPs website and they are makeing big claims about there new BP ultimate fuel they say that there is a 3% increase of power on average as well as better MPG and acceleration.

I would like to know if any body on this forum has had any experiance with using high octain fuel in there motorbikes ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have got a ybr 125 and i am currantly running it in and i am wondering weather to use a high octain fuel such as Bp unltimate (97 ron), shell opimax (97 ron) or sansburys own brand super (97 ron).

I sort of know the theory behind useing higher octain fuels, the higher the octain the more stable the fuel is so there is less chance of it miss fireing/ pre ignition of the fuel in the cylinder. I was looking on BPs website and they are makeing big claims about there new BP ultimate fuel they say that there is a 3% increase of power on average as well as better MPG and acceleration.

I would like to know if any body on this forum has had any experiance with using high octain fuel in there motorbikes ?

Hi Pete,

I would guess 97ron (is he on this forum?) would love you buying his stuff :lol: the bike was designed to run on std fuel and uping the octaine will not have too much effect .. takes me back to the 70's when FS1/YL1/YG1/AS1 owners would run their bikes on 5 star (100 octane) when they would run on 2 star just as well ... take into account those bikes did not have the 'design features' of your bike and the slight knock removed by using high grade fuel will not apply to yours as Yamaha have designed those problems out the equation.

Regards Jim

Hi Pete,

I would guess 97ron (is he on this forum?) would love you buying his stuff :lol: the bike was designed to run on std fuel and uping the octaine will not have too much effect .. takes me back to the 70's when FS1/YL1/YG1/AS1 owners would run their bikes on 5 star (100 octane) when they would run on 2 star just as well ... take into account those bikes did not have the 'design features' of your bike and the slight knock removed by using high grade fuel will not apply to yours as Yamaha have designed those problems out the equation.

Regards Jim

O i didn't realise it made so little differance. I was hoping it might make my little 125 more nippy

Hi Pete,

Regards Jim

O i didn't realise it made so little differance. I was hoping it might make my little 125 more nippy

Hi Pete,

it makes differences to the wallet !!! and not the bike !

Regards Jim

it makes differences to the wallet !!! and not the bike !

In fact, my bike prefers the taste of the standard 95 fuel.

There are a few different additives you can get (Silkolene are a good brand) that alter the combustion properties. No doubt some will make your bike go that leeeeeeeeeeetle bit faster, but the one to get is the one they do to help stop carb icing in Winter ;)

Bit of thread creep but you can get carb icing in the summer too in the right conditions.

Can occur at temperatures between -7 and 21 degrees Celcius with high humidity.

In fact it is more likely to happen when the temp is above freezing as the moisture will still be suspended in the air.

There is a chart used by pilots to check possibility of icing here http://ibis.experimentals.de/images/carbic...romcaassl14.gif if you are interested

In fact, my bike prefers the taste of the standard 95 fuel.

There are a few different additives you can get (Silkolene are a good brand) that alter the combustion properties. No doubt some will make your bike go that leeeeeeeeeeetle bit faster, but the one to get is the one they do to help stop carb icing in Winter ;)

I woold have thought it might have prefered an big mac and fries .. :lol: no accounting for taste !!!

Regards Jim

Yeah G'day mate. What is the compression ratio? What altitude are you riding at? What does the hand book suggest? IMO those claims from B Pee are Cats Pee. Higher octane fuels generally only offer a potential power gain if you increase the compression ratio to the maximum that the higher octane fuel will allow. Then the power gain comes from the mod used in conjunction with the fuel. From my understanding one of the additives used in high octane fuel is toluene and the amount used is too small to produce any real term power gains. Also to my understanding, depending on combustion chamber shapes, 10.5 to 1 Compression ratio is a reasonable cut off point for the use of regular unleaded fuel.At higher altitudes you can get away with a bit more. I know plenty of blokes who run regular unleaded fuel in their sports bikes with compression ratios of 12.5 to 1 and I reckon it is madness. They buy a $20 000 bike, I think thats about 8 or 9000 quid, and then skimp on fuel. Just my thoughts. HAVE A BLAST! Paul. :)

I woold have thought it might have prefered an big mac and fries .. :lol: no accounting for taste !!!

Regards Jim

Anyone who actually likes McDonalds food has no taste!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online