Brake disc bolts

awxjr
This post is 5479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning everyone,

Has anyone got any good advice on removing the six bolts holding the rear brake disc to the wheel of my XJ900S Diversion?

I did have a very good wheel which needed a new disc so my trusty neighbour said he would remove it only to snap a bolt then proceed to drill it then use an "easy out" which cracked my wheel! :angry:

I now have another wheel with a worn disc which needs removing and i dont want a repeat!

Thanks,

Alan.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

soak the bolts in 3in1 oil over night (just cover them with it) so it seaps in then remove them with the proper tool

soak the bolts in 3in1 oil over night (just cover them with it) so it seaps in then remove them with the proper tool

Cheers Dan.

I think they are fitted with a good loctite, soaking is a good plan but may not help in this case, I had the same problem with removing a front disc from my TDR recently and my son the same with some bandit wheels he got , it was fitted with allen bolts and no amount of thrashing with a impact driver would free the bolts, so i heated the bolts and they came out reasonably easily then, no need for oxy acetlylene kits or red heat just a normal blow torch with a small flame and heat the head of the bolt gently and mind your tyres and paint,

I think they are fitted with a good loctite, soaking is a good plan but may not help in this case, I had the same problem with removing a front disc from my TDR recently and my son the same with some bandit wheels he got , it was fitted with allen bolts and no amount of thrashing with a impact driver would free the bolts, so i heated the bolts and they came out reasonably easily then, no need for oxy acetlylene kits or red heat just a normal blow torch with a small flame and heat the head of the bolt gently and mind your tyres and paint,

Thanks a lot Mervin.

Saw this tip somewhere else but cant guarantee it works cos I've not tried it, melt some solder into the hex hole in the screw until you've got a small pool, hold the soldering iron tip in this pool for 5 mins, remove soldering iron and quickly tap your allen key into the screw head, remembering that the molten solder is gonna shoot out of the hole, so wear heavy gloves and safety specs, and good luck ! :)

Saw this tip somewhere else but cant guarantee it works cos I've not tried it, melt some solder into the hex hole in the screw until you've got a small pool, hold the soldering iron tip in this pool for 5 mins, remove soldering iron and quickly tap your allen key into the screw head, remembering that the molten solder is gonna shoot out of the hole, so wear heavy gloves and safety specs, and good luck ! :)

Thanks for that one,this could make sense as the heat transfer through the bolt should be good. :)

Top tip No2

you will need

soldering iron, 30m extension cable, small spray bottle filled with tap water, a crazed look in your eye, an alibi, 6 cans of Stella

1 down the 6 cans while pre-heating the soldering iron-which is already attached to the extension cable

2 when step 1 is complete move extension lead outside-leaving it plugged in

3 knock on your neighbours door (the one that broke your wheel)

4 when hamfisted brute answers the door demand the cost of replacement wheel and his set of screw extractors from him

5 every couple of seconds give the soldering iron a spray from the spray bottle thus rendering jets of super-heated steam and the intimidating angry hissing sound that this will produce

6 return home and promptly cold plunge the soldering iron, roll up extension cable, empty spray bottle and thoroughly dry off, put the 6 empty cans into a carrier bag, take carrier bag-extension lead-soldering iron up into the loft space (be carefull at this point remember you will be slightly unstable on the loft ladder) remain in the loft until all has calmed down again. :mellow:

Top tip No2

you will need

soldering iron, 30m extension cable, small spray bottle filled with tap water, a crazed look in your eye, an alibi, 6 cans of Stella

1 down the 6 cans while pre-heating the soldering iron-which is already attached to the extension cable

4 when hamfisted brute answers the door demand the cost of replacement wheel and his set of screw extractors from him

5 every couple of seconds give the soldering iron a spray from the spray bottle thus rendering jets of super-heated steam and the intimidating angry hissing sound that this will produce

6 return home and promptly cold plunge the soldering iron, roll up extension cable, empty spray bottle and thoroughly dry off, put the 6 empty cans into a carrier bag, take carrier bag-extension lead-soldering iron up into the loft space (be carefull at this point remember you will be slightly unstable on the loft ladder) remain in the loft until all has calmed down again. :mellow:

Fooking brilliant! :D

Another tip with seized bolts is to try tapping them clockwise a touch.

Use a hex head and a ratchet attachment, rather than an allen key as the latter flexes too much.

Insert and make sure you have the ratchet set the right way (ie to tighten the bolt).

Try turning by hand first, but be reasonable - not gentle but not overly forceful either. If this fails, crack out the rubber mallet and use a few strong taps. If you really whack it you may shear off the bolt head.

Another tip with seized bolts is to try tapping them clockwise a touch.

Use a hex head and a ratchet attachment, rather than an allen key as the latter flexes too much.

Insert and make sure you have the ratchet set the right way (ie to tighten the bolt).

Try turning by hand first, but be reasonable - not gentle but not overly forceful either. If this fails, crack out the rubber mallet and use a few strong taps. If you really whack it you may shear off the bolt head.

Thanks for that tip ;)

or you could also try pure alcohol as i know this makes lock tight rub right off just dont drink it lol

in my case a bloody good thrash with an impact driver would not shift em heat is the answer on disc boltsat the end of the day

Top tip No2

you will need

Fantastic :lol:

Put a hot soldering iron on the bolt for a while and crack it off. Some people semi tighten the bolt first to break the lock. Only heat well do - in my opinion.

Then drink the Stella.

Fantastic :lol:

Put a hot soldering iron on the bolt for a while and crack it off. Some people semi tighten the bolt first to break the lock. Only heat well do - in my opinion.

Then drink the Stella.

The soldering iron seems to be the way forward so that will be my first course of action.

Thanks for the input. :D

The soldering iron seems to be the way forward so that will be my first course of action.

Thanks for the input. :D

I doubt the soldering iron will be 'man enough' there is too much mass of metal to heat and the solder wont melt....possibly. Use a blowtorch or a hot air gun for much faster results. Are they allen head screws (not read the thread properly) if so normal allen keys will flex and you may have to extend the handle for more leverage, I prefer the 3/8 square drive type that are used with a ratchet from a socket set.

I reckon OG is right you will be there a bloody long time with a soldering iron,after all they are only meant to heat electrical connectors, small flame on a blow torch was what i used,

merv

Works for me every time :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online