Laptop Processor Upgrade

Madison Motorsport
This post is 5490 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

Foxconn Destroyer 780a SLI Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache Processor

Sapphire VAPOR-X HD4870 2GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card

Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray BD-ROM SATA Black Internal

Sony DRU-860S 22X DVD?RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA Black Drive

Zalman VF1000-LED Quad Heatpipe VGA Cooler

The case also has allowance for 2x 120mm and 2x 80mm fans so I doubt cooling will present any problems :D

If I need extra cooling, I'll go water cooled :blink:

right well that looks like a decent spec for a start thogh dont get the 2gb gpu it carnt use all the Vram because its limated buy the memory buss speed

secondly you need a good CPU cooler like the tuniq tower 120

thirdly i think maybe the case could do with some more fans because myn had 7x120mm fans inc CPU fan 1x145mm fan 1x92mm fan and my cpu idels at 30c GPU1 idels at 45c GPU2 idels at 38c

also you would need some DDR2 ram get some OCZ reaper ram 1066mhz cas5 latensy get 2x2gb

then could also add in a sound card somthing like the Crative X-FI XtreamMusic for supream sound quality

at least a 600w power suply corsair is one of the best makes

this is my speak atm you might take some ideas from it

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz Overcloked to 4ghz

XFX 780i 3 way sli LGA775

2x1gb OCZ reaper 1066

2x nvidia 9800gtx+'s in sli

1x500gb hdd IDE

1x200gb hdd IDE

1x samsung light scribe drive

gigabyt aurora 3d 570 case

750w xilence PSU

heas some pick's

P1010749.jpg

P1010745.jpg

not sure how computer iliterat you are :D

ohh and to niiick: if you OC it totaly stable and ure temps dont go above 60c then you might be ok but dont expect the laptop to last as long as it would at stock speeds

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Towers are where its at. i've upgraded my graphics card on the main system and built a backup unit out of spares and freebies (1.2ghz AMD, 40gb HDD, Linux OS) and i can safely say a tower is your best bet.

make sure you have good cooling though, a decent cooling system is the difference between a reliable and effecient PC and one which lags, bugs and wont run GTA 3 :unsure:

Hi W/f

I would guess that would count on what you need from the pc there is a point that a lesser unit will do the job .. without throwing cash (or Jawa's) at the project. my old old MS Dos V5 with an 8088 processor allows resonable connection to the net or as it was the uni servers all you need to do is write the gateway, which if you need it I could supply written in assembler code (A86) :lol:

Regards Jim

all you need to do is write the gateway, which if you need it I could supply written in assembler code (A86) :lol:

er... i can write things on Microsoft Word if that counts?... :D

Nvidia graphics would also be a bonus... what sort of price range are you looking to spend?

right well that looks like a decent spec for a start thogh dont get the 2gb gpu it carnt use all the Vram because its limated buy the memory buss speed

secondly you need a good CPU cooler like the tuniq tower 120

thirdly i think maybe the case could do with some more fans because myn had 7x120mm fans inc CPU fan 1x145mm fan 1x92mm fan and my cpu idels at 30c GPU1 idels at 45c GPU2 idels at 38c

also you would need some DDR2 ram get some OCZ reaper ram 1066mhz cas5 latensy get 2x2gb

then could also add in a sound card somthing like the Crative X-FI XtreamMusic for supream sound quality

at least a 600w power suply corsair is one of the best makes

this is my speak atm you might take some ideas from it

2x1gb OCZ reaper 1066

1x500gb hdd IDE

1x200gb hdd IDE

750w xilence PSU

heas some pick's

P1010749.jpg

P1010745.jpg

not sure how computer iliterat you are :D

ohh and to niiick: if you OC it totaly stable and ure temps dont go above 60c then you might be ok but dont expect the laptop to last as long as it would at stock speeds

to be honest i overclockd it from 2.0 ghz to 3.0 ghz i cant be assed to write all the other stats down. it works fine, its an amd dual core, and amd are usually shit for overclocking especially on laptops, it stays at about the same temperature as it did before i overclocked it, well it feels like anyway, it has good cooling tho, for some reason it has always been cool, never really got too warm, my hypothesis is that its a trusty old HP haha

to be honest i overclockd it from 2.0 ghz to 3.0 ghz i cant be assed to write all the other stats down. it works fine, its an amd dual core, and amd are usually shit for overclocking especially on laptops, it stays at about the same temperature as it did before i overclocked it, well it feels like anyway, it has good cooling tho, for some reason it has always been cool, never really got too warm, my hypothesis is that its a trusty old HP haha

fair enough its just that normily lap tops dont last when oc'd well laptop is a whole have about a 2.5 year life time.....

and download a program called "core temp" or "real temp" of of those will work and tell you what temp each core is geting to then while that is open download "prime 95" or "orthos" then run it for about 30minuats and see what temps you reach with one of the first to programs i sead if they are geting to about 60c then ure cpu will be about 80c in total (to hot for a lap top) then post back with ure results jsut dont want to kill ure lap top premiturly

2x1gb OCZ reaper 1066

1x500gb hdd IDE

1x200gb hdd IDE

750w xilence PSU

Nice specs :D

Personally though, I won't use Intel or NVidia again, hence AMD and ATI. I have found Intel and NVidia to be too unreliable in the past, whereas I have never experienced problems with AMD or ATI.

I have also found SATA HDDs to be better than IDE and I can pick up a Seagate 1TB SATA HDD for less than £75

Nice specs :D

Personally though, I won't use Intel or NVidia again, hence AMD and ATI. I have found Intel and NVidia to be too unreliable in the past, whereas I have never experienced problems with AMD or ATI.

I have also found SATA HDDs to be better than IDE and I can pick up a Seagate 1TB SATA HDD for less than £75

cheers the only thing is i hate ati's drivers with a pasion thats the only reson i would never use them again and yes SATA is defo better than IDE but cba to spend money on a HDD when the one i have is working just fyn lol and this is my first intel CPU but its one of there most higly praised cpus and i do like amd i just left them i had a athlon 64 X2 5200 2.7ghz one but decide to upgrade because it was holding back my graphics cards :/ so i went with what i thorght/is the cheeper option

hope you have fun when you get ure new pc :) u will have to show us what it looks like when its finished

fair enough its just that normily lap tops dont last when oc'd well laptop is a whole have about a 2.5 year life time.....

and download a program called "core temp" or "real temp" of of those will work and tell you what temp each core is geting to then while that is open download "prime 95" or "orthos" then run it for about 30minuats and see what temps you reach with one of the first to programs i sead if they are geting to about 60c then ure cpu will be about 80c in total (to hot for a lap top) then post back with ure results jsut dont want to kill ure lap top premiturly

its okay ive had it for a year and a bit now and i still have insurance on it i pay yearly ;), so if it breaks pc world will never be able to tell if it was overclocked. they thick as faaack, i member going there and they let me into one of the pc's there, why are people so thick LOL

its okay ive had it for a year and a bit now and i still have insurance on it i pay yearly ;), so if it breaks pc world will never be able to tell if it was overclocked. they thick as faaack, i member going there and they let me into one of the pc's there, why are people so thick LOL

haha fair enough i just borght a S**T dell to use as a web computer and my desk top for gaming and blasting out the tunes or waching tv/dvd's (its all link'd to my 26inch)

so in ure case you should be ok :)

haha fair enough i just borght a S**T dell to use as a web computer and my desk top for gaming and blasting out the tunes or waching tv/dvd's (its all link'd to my 26inch)

i got my craptacular 2ghz single core intel plugged into my 22" LCD in my bedroom... its okay for downloading music and films, chatting and surfing but heavy gaming kills it.

im going to build my own one next time... much more options for pimpification...

I can pick up a Seagate 1TB SATA HDD for less than £75

I've had nothing but trouble with ATI, constant driver problems...

External Terror-Bite goodness

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online