175 MX WILL NOT KICKSTART

crowtoms
This post is 5505 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently got my 175MX (Off Road - NO ELECTRICS) to run with a hefty Bump Start, when running seems OK, But will not kick start.? Plenty of resistance from the arm, make usual noises but wont fire up. is there I can do to get more Umph.?

Thanks. Tom.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you tested for compression?,

Great Idea!

How..?

Hi Tom, you would need to buy or borrow a compression tester, basically its a pressure gauge that you screw into the spark plug hole, then you use the kickstart several times while holding the throttle open, the gauge will show how much compression your engine has and is a valuable source of information with regard to piston ring / bore wear etc.

compression tester, basically just a pressure gauge that screws into the spark plug hole and shows you how much pressure there is in the cylinder.

the only sure way of doing it.

alternatively, take the piston out and physically check for wear on the piston and rings, tell-tale signs include scorching that goes below the piston crown (black deposits that go down past the piston rings

OK. I will call in my local bike shop..?

Oldgitonabike can you help with other question.?

disconnect your fuel pipe from the carb, open the tap and check for a good flow out of the pipe, there is a screen filter in the tap (petcock) bowl and it can get clogged up with debris, this is an easy check and well worth doing on an old bike with unknown history. ... ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online