Vaccum gauge

alexander foti
This post is 5530 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First and most obvious question, why?

HI there.

I am wondering where i would be able to fit a vaccum gauge onto my ybr 125.

any ideas where I would connect it?

If you disconnect pipe A from the woofle valve ( care must be taken here to make sure the woofle valve pipe A & B are connected together ) the vaccum gauge could be connected to point A .... but apart from that there is no need to attach a V guage to a single unless you wish to have a second opinion to a compression test so please enlighten me why you wish to attach a V guage ?

Regards Jim

If you disconnect pipe A from the woofle valve ( care must be taken here to make sure the woofle valve pipe A & B are connected together ) the vaccum gauge could be connected to point A .... but apart from that there is no need to attach a V guage to a single unless you wish to have a second opinion to a compression test so please enlighten me why you wish to attach a V guage ?

Regards Jim

heh.

Im looking for a quick cheap simple mpg meter. Im trying to get 150 mpg out of my bike. (seing as i cant get 150kmph :))

Let me know.

Thanks.

heh.

Im looking for a quick cheap simple mpg meter. Im trying to get 150 mpg out of my bike. (seing as i cant get 150kmph :))

Let me know.

Thanks.

So a V guage connected to the inlet manifold to create an mpg meter ... I dont think so, the only thing you will trace is the 'suction created in the inlet manifold/tract as soon as the throttle is opened the guage will sink to nowt ... at idle it will give you a pressure ... so if attached the mpg meter would show 150mpg at idle & 0 mpg on any throttle ... because I'm a bit old school I'm not sure what would happen in a FI manifold for sure but from the position of a V guage in the inlet tract I cannot see it working any different to a carb motor, I would guess if the bike is FI there will be some electronic gizmo to check the fuel consumption but if it has a carb .... do like everyone else shake the bike about to work out how much fuel is left in the tank at a given time .... I would guess there is nothing you could do to increase the fuel consumption of the bike unless you just run it around on idle ! :mellow:

Regards Jim

So a V guage connected to the inlet manifold to create an mpg meter ... I dont think so, the only thing you will trace is the 'suction created in the inlet manifold/tract as soon as the throttle is opened the guage will sink to nowt ... at idle it will give you a pressure ... so if attached the mpg meter would show 150mpg at idle & 0 mpg on any throttle ... because I'm a bit old school I'm not sure what would happen in a FI manifold for sure but from the position of a V guage in the inlet tract I cannot see it working any different to a carb motor, I would guess if the bike is FI there will be some electronic gizmo to check the fuel consumption but if it has a carb .... do like everyone else shake the bike about to work out how much fuel is left in the tank at a given time .... I would guess there is nothing you could do to increase the fuel consumption of the bike unless you just run it around on idle ! :mellow:

Regards Jim

hmmm.

The old school mpg meters on beamers etc were all vacum gauges.

It is FI but theres no ODB port so I cant anlyse the fuel usage. :(

Any other ideas.?

hmmm.

The old school mpg meters on beamers etc were all vacum gauges.

It is FI but theres no ODB port so I cant anlyse the fuel usage. :(

Any other ideas.?

All they showed was open throtle ( low mpg) or closed throtle (high mpg) .. you may get a point where the bike was 'touring' (settled throtle opening) and the meter may show an intermediate value. With FI if you drilled and tapped a hole into the manifold you could connect a V guage (not recomended) as it would not give you the results you need. I would guess there would be someone out there who produces a gizmo that checks the fuel sent thro the FI and connected to the electronics of the speedo to work out consumption. Going back to the 80's the Suzi GS850 had an 'economy' meter (V guage) al it appeared to do was put led's across the clock area and did not make any difference to fuel consumption in ever way you rode it .... To get the economy you want to get you will need to ride the bike on low throttle openings (so the FI supplies what it thinks the engine needs) and refrain from full throttle. but thats boring bikes need to be 'ridden' hang the economy have a good time instead !

Regards Jim

Can you not just calculate the mpg from the tank size in litres against your trip on the odo?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online