1973 100cc Enduro headlight issue...

enduro100CC
This post is 5525 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1973 enduro LT2 with a wiring and/or headlight issue. I have been able to start it but the headlight still does not turn on. I can see inside the headllight and the bulb appears to be ok. I have removed the bulb and checked the wires to see if anything came loose and I did not find anything. The taillight and turn signals work fine and there are no other problems that I am aware of. I am new to motorcycles and this is my first so please explain solutions well. Thanks for your time and suggestions!!!!

Nick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

and the bulb appears to be ok.

Hi nick - the best thing to buy is a multi-meter[ not too expncive] A nessesity when checking wiring, u can check bulb for continuity " [ it may look ok ] then check to see if voltage at connector " + what voltage [ rectifier fault].

remember these 6volt DTs need engine running to power lights [magnito system] ,, Now all this is not possible to trace without METER . :)

As Blackhat says, you really need to check the bulb properly, either using a multi meter or by connecting it with some leads to your battery terminals, when youre looking for faults its better to have concrete proof than "looks ok" ;)

As Blackhat says, you really need to check the bulb properly, either using a multi meter or by connecting it with some leads to your battery terminals, when youre looking for faults its better to have concrete proof than "looks ok" ;)

Ok, last night I built a little tester with some batteries and a couple of wires and I can get both filaments (sp?) to come on in the headlight bulb. I still am no further on getting it to come on with the bike battery powering it however. This is the last major issue I am having with the bike but there are a few small ones popping up in addition. My turn indicators will not flash, they did for a bit at high rpm but they remain constant most of the time and the left one has never actually flashed (in the two weeks I have owned it). Thanks for the help. I will try and pick up a multimeter on the way home so I can follow the advice given properly. Thanks again!!

Nick

My turn indicators will not flash, they did for a bit at high rpm ----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok . sounds like battery is shagged ,,, if it need engine revs to flash em. charge it up for 24 hrs , they shud work ,, & sound horn ./ but u need engine [ magneto ] for head lights .. u may have a side lite without engine .. but these little 6volt batterys flatten quickly without engine running ....

My turn indicators will not flash, they did for a bit at high rpm ----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok . sounds like battery is shagged ,,, if it need engine revs to flash em. charge it up for 24 hrs , they shud work ,, & sound horn ./ but u need engine [ magneto ] for head lights .. u may have a side lite without engine .. but these little 6volt batterys flatten quickly without engine running ....

Charged the battery and tried again, no change though. the headlight still dead and the turn signals respond the same as they always did. I am ok with the turn signals because at least they come on, I can replace the mechanism to promote flashing at a later point. Where should I start in terms of figuring out what the problem with the headlight is. The color of the various wires is faded in some places and been changed out and replaced with new in others (so completely different). I really would love to get the headlight up and running so I can be more visible when I am out riding around. Thanks for your time, I am not sure what I would do without all of the help these forums provide.

Nick

enduro100cc
 little dave.

time for the meter then ,,, If the blinkers work wen above 2,500 rpm . its like theres no store of power [ battery]

And Little davey .yours not working at high-revs . [flasher unit . ] or bad earth ...[ground] Old-git can post a wir-ing dia-gram .. http://www.slimduck.com/index.html fk- me it worked

Alright, I replaced the battery and got the new one charged and installed. Although the other lights are much brighter I still do not have a change with the headlight. Could it be that the flywheel is not giving off enough power? I died a couple of times yesterday when I pulled up to stop signs. After depressing the clutch the engine would run for a couple of seconds and then die unless I give it a bit of gas. Not really sure where to start at this point. I am betting that this issue is related though.

I bypassed the existing wiring and put a fuse and switch on a new line and now the head light works. So I guess the next step is to replace the flasher mechanism. Also, I was wondering if anyone had encountered problems with acceleration past 40mph. At about 40 the bike feels like it is pulsating. It will do just fine at below 35. Now I realize this is a 100cc bike but I am a small guy (155lbs) and I did not think 40 was going to be max speed. Suggestions/ info??

I bypassed the existing wiring and put a fuse and switch on a new line and now the head light works. So I guess the next step is to replace the flasher mechanism. Also, I was wondering if anyone had encountered problems with acceleration past 40mph. At about 40 the bike feels like it is pulsating. It will do just fine at below 35. Now I realize this is a 100cc bike but I am a small guy (155lbs) and I did not think 40 was going to be max speed. Suggestions/ info??

speed sounds about right to me. when i was a teenager in the 80's i had some kind of yam 100 i think it was a ct. (pre 1980) anyway, it topped out at 45 with a fresh tuneup and that was with me at 85 pounds.

i would expect that youre getting about what the bike can give.

if your headlight works with the motor off now, thit will only be a temporary fix. the headlamp will drain your battery after about 1.5 hours of riding.

I found that on my current bike (and this sounds wierd i know) but the headlight actually grounds through the speedo indicator lamp circuit on its way to the speedo cable. try wiggleing the speedo bulb with the motor running and the headlight hooked up stock.

i am no expert. period. just passing along what i have noticed in my minimal experience.

speed sounds about right to me. when i was a teenager in the 80's i had some kind of yam 100 i think it was a ct. (pre 1980) anyway, it topped out at 45 with a fresh tuneup and that was with me at 85 pounds.

i would expect that youre getting about what the bike can give.

if your headlight works with the motor off now, thit will only be a temporary fix. the headlamp will drain your battery after about 1.5 hours of riding.

I found that on my current bike (and this sounds wierd i know) but the headlight actually grounds through the speedo indicator lamp circuit on its way to the speedo cable. try wiggleing the speedo bulb with the motor running and the headlight hooked up stock.

i am no expert. period. just passing along what i have noticed in my minimal experience.

I have sorted out the power drain issue by putting in the switch. I was unable to find the problem in the stock wiring and so I had to resort to this new solution. I tried the meter and followed the wiring diagram but I could not figure out why I had power in certain sections and not others. So I only turn the headlight on in the morning when I ride in to work. For my mid day and afternoon rides I have it off so the battery is being charged back up. I know this is not a great solution but it was the only thing I could come up with. The flywheel is out putting the correct amount of power but it was not making it even to the ignition switch along certain lines although the battery is receiving a good charge with the bike just idling. Long story short this is the only thing I could manage to get working at the moment. hopefully eventually I will find the actual problem and be able to go back to the stock set up.

New question: so after a four mile ride my bike is dying at stops. Any time that the it idles pretty much. Do I need to clean out the carborator? Where should I start looking to fix the problem. Looking in the service manual it looks like the carb is the best place to start for an idle problem although I am not sure. Thanks for the help!

Bike Pic:

http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v230/1136/3...048479_8576.jpg

n518048479_8576.jpg

I found a wiring diagram and would think that the high low beam switch is open circuit or has lost its supply, if it doesnt work high or low then look to see if its got a supply (Blue)

see Here

I will open up the high low dimmer and take a meter to it to see if I have current. Thanks, hopefully that is where the issue is, although it does make sense after closer study of the wiring diagram.

Nick

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online