Airbags??

Gas up - Let's Go!
This post is 5547 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i wonder if the government could work on making non slip road markings and man-hole covers. that would be a better use of their time i think. instead of thinking of other ways to make us spend our hard earned cash on "compulsory" safty measures.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If these Airbags are anything like the one's you see in cars.......they'll go off like a bomb when deployed. :blink:

& more than likely cost a 2nd mortgage to get 'em re-packed. :rolleyes:

The day I quit riding is the day that some ridiculous governing body decides to require seat belts on a bike! <_<

Let's hope that day NEVER comes! :huh:

I had just fitted an ashtray to my R1 but my seat belt made it difficult for me to reach it.

I had just fitted an ashtray to my R1 but my seat belt made it difficult for me to reach it.

Sounds like you had it installed in the wrong spot.

Try moving it back towards your cup holders, next to the TV. Should make you safer in traffic too, cos its hard enough answering the phone with your coffee in the other hand, let alone trying to stub out yer ciggy at the same time.

Come to think of it, get the mirrors removed cos they're only going to be a distraction... just like the indicators really, too.

*yawn* all this talk of safety makes me want to put my head back - you should look at the headrests for the R1 - the mob who do climate control and subwoofers have a nice little range available now. ;)

No problem with added safety options, so long as they are practical and do not take away the responsibility from people.

So long as drivers, riders, pilots or whatever still feel scared of getting hurt enough to play it safe and operate their vehicles in an acceptable fashion.

Wow!

What a debate, and no falling out either, nice one.

If these types of jackets were to become law, then realy they would have to be considered as PPE, and that brings a whole raft of other standards into play, and also remove the VAT - so It's not really going to happen, it is after all unfortunatly about numbers, HMG make alot of money out of bikers, christ my bike RFL is more than my wifes car! but thats another debate. So, until such a time as biker incidents are starting to cost more than the revenue from bikers HMG are not going to do anything, they can keep the debate simmering so it looks like they are listening, but the reality is they don't really care. At the point the accounts don't add up, they will do something. I fear it would be more about forcing our insurers to pay for the treatment (and thus pushing up your premiums = increase in insurance tax) rather than mandating safety devices.

I do stand by my previous communication in that one size does not fit all, saftery devices can and do sometimes add to an accident - when pre-tensioned seat belts first came out, there was a raft of broken hips in older people, airbags were bursting eardrums and shoulder injuries replaced chest injuries ( I used to work in the area - not now thank god!). My neighbour ( sorry neighbor to our US cousins) is a retired fireman with over 25years experience, he is very scepticle about seatbelts, they may save you from the impact but it's no good if you can't release it after and the car's on fire! My point is that you can quote statistics about how things can save your life, but no-one gathers the stats on when these devices go wrong, and they do. It's normally attributed to the accident itself.

Lies, Dammed Lies and Statistics............

I think the overall feeling is the same though, we can argue the why's and wherefores of these clothing items, but in the end it is about our choice. After all we're all bikers because it gives us freedom, we are free spirits and don't like the shackles of society very much.....

it looks safe and i suppose it could be a good idea if it were cheap and could be made into a thin replaceable vest that would go under your leathers. im not too comfortable with the clip on lead idea though. as someone that often forgets to turn off headlights, im sure that i would inflate myself on a regular basis. also, any other way of triggering the device would rely on what? g-force (cant do that) impact (kinda beyond the point then) sudden and uncontrolled change of direction, (i can see the games at bike meets now "lets trip bob and inflate him hehehe")

BUT DON'T MAKE THEM MANDATORY.

there is a difference between riding unsafely (dangerously) and riding unprotected.

bad enough that helmets are mandatory where i live. I would still wear one even if they weren't, but i think it should be about choice.

everyone that rides knows what kind of skidmark they will make if not wearing semi decent gear, and how their head may well and just pop on impact without a helmet. but that's their choice to make for themselves.

if the gov took protecting people from themselves as seriously in other sectors of life, condoms would be mandatory by now.

(and that would probably save more lives)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online