POPCORN NOISE!!!!!!!

dragstar_125
This post is 5570 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys its me again 125 dragstar (2004) with more problems, i was on with a post talking about the feeling of loss of power (that out of fuel sensation) more recently this has prgressed to a popping (like popcorn popping) sound coming from the front end just behind my front wheel, also from the lower exhaust as if one of the exhausts isnt firing out properly, like its backfiring, can anyone advise (in lamens terms) as im in experienced at the mo!!!! Grateful for any input as usual!!!!

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd guess either;

You're revving far too much, as in too much throttle for what you want the bike to do.

Try a gradual increase, rather than whacking it open and expecting the bike to instantly respond.

or -

You've a small hole in the exhaust.

Backfiring is when you have unburnt fuel that kicks off as it progresses through the system.

Are you riding with the choke open?

I'd guess either;

You're revving far too much, as in too much throttle for what you want the bike to do.

Try a gradual increase, rather than whacking it open and expecting the bike to instantly respond.

or -

You've a small hole in the exhaust.

Backfiring is when you have unburnt fuel that kicks off as it progresses through the system.

Are you riding with the choke open?

Tt,

Granted that it could be revving to much but i really dont think that is the problem, i think the latter from your input is more the case the bike when rolling up to light tends to cut out too from running too low! in the mornings with this cold weather i have been keeping the choke fully open to warm up then riding round half open for a while to heat the engine up, could it have something to do with how cold it is???

The popping noise was coming from the front end initially when i was at high revs, and when i stopped you could see smoke/steam coming from the first bend in exhaust ....

Hey guys its me again 125 dragstar (2004) with more problems, i was on with a post talking about the feeling of loss of power (that out of fuel sensation) more recently this has prgressed to a popping (like popcorn popping) sound coming from the front end just behind my front wheel, also from the lower exhaust as if one of the exhausts isnt firing out properly, like its backfiring, can anyone advise (in lamens terms) as im in experienced at the mo!!!! Grateful for any input as usual!!!!

Chris

Hi again Chris

Your bike has a four stroke engine and if you run a four stroke engine with no exhaust attached they make a popping sound like you describe, this coupled with the smoke / steam you have seen suggests one of your pipes is loose where it connects to the cylinder head. Let it all cool down and have a look at the connection as you grab the have a good old shove / twist and general manhandle of the exhaust down pipe, you should not see or feel any movement at the manifold connection

...Paul

Hi again Chris

Your bike has a four stroke engine and if you run a four stroke engine with no exhaust attached they make a popping sound like you describe, this coupled with the smoke / steam you have seen suggests one of your pipes is loose where it connects to the cylinder head. Let it all cool down and have a look at the connection as you grab the have a good old shove / twist and general manhandle of the exhaust down pipe, you should not see or feel any movement at the manifold connection

...Paul

hey paul!!!

thanks buddy good advice i will have a good tinker with it tonight, better yet before i leave work cus it will still be cold!!! im getting really frustratd but i suppose thats all part n parcel. will let you know how i get on matey!!!

Chris

when i stopped you could see smoke/steam coming from the first bend in exhaust ....

That'll be yer hole, then!!

Chris

hi mate i also have a dragstar and until i got another bike recently it was used every day and undercover but since i got another bike it can sit for two or three days outside with a cover over it but when i do use it, it starts ok but it doesnt like the cold and coughs splutters for england till its had a bit of a run, do you keep yours outside or undercover?but by the sound of things loss of power and the popping it does sound like the others might be right that its exhaust related,how long are you using the choke for? and are you using the choke for longer because the bikes cutting out

hi mate i also have a dragstar and until i got another bike recently it was used every day and undercover but since i got another bike it can sit for two or three days outside with a cover over it but when i do use it, it starts ok but it doesnt like the cold and coughs splutters for england till its had a bit of a run, do you keep yours outside or undercover?but by the sound of things loss of power and the popping it does sound like the others might be right that its exhaust related,how long are you using the choke for? and are you using the choke for longer because the bikes cutting out

update on this one, upon leaving work the bike wouldnt start at all and when i did eventually start i was holding the accel all the way and nothing for ten seconds the i felt the lower exhaust about half way down where the weld is , low and behold i felt a shot of air coming out, so it looks like the hole in the exhaust is my problem. but i dont think it is the only problem because of the initial popping noise coming from the from of the bike???!!!

Fix the hole first.

I'm guessing air is being drawn back in through the hole (or fuel is being sucked further out than it should be) and you're getting some combustion further up the pipe, ie at the front of the engine.

Fix the hole first.

I'm guessing air is being drawn back in through the hole (or fuel is being sucked further out than it should be) and you're getting some combustion further up the pipe, ie at the front of the engine.

the guys came and picked the bike up yesterday,

Im wondering what i should be looking out for when they have fixed the hole??? what way should they have done this (Under warranty!!!) should i expect a welding job or some sheet metal welded on looking shit????

Depending on the size of the hole, it could be either. Thing is, the weld could fail at a later stage.

If it's that bad, they might just replace the whole pipe as that'll be easier.

Seems you might want to just get a refund on this or something and get another bike from a different dealer. Stay with teh 125 drag if you like it, but this particular model sounds pretty fucked. I'm also concerned that the PDI they should have done hasn't picked up any of these issues....

Unless you're abusing the bike, I'd say your dealer is an arse.

Depending on the size of the hole, it could be either. Thing is, the weld could fail at a later stage.

If it's that bad, they might just replace the whole pipe as that'll be easier.

Seems you might want to just get a refund on this or something and get another bike from a different dealer. Stay with teh 125 drag if you like it, but this particular model sounds pretty fucked. I'm also concerned that the PDI they should have done hasn't picked up any of these issues....

Unless you're abusing the bike, I'd say your dealer is an arse.

yea well i will be findingo ut today what the main issue is with it, i think my dealer is an arse i dont think they know enoguh about bieks and if they do they take the lazy approach ...or the selfish approach that if its a warranty job then there isnt really anything positive in it for them so they take their time on the fix!!! bastardos!!!!

hey folks, got the drag back today, was told the problem was with the plugs so fitted new ones!! is this a result of a fuel problem which some1 told me ??? also can any1 else with a drag xvs 125 (2004) tell me if they have drainage hole in their lower exhaust as i was told this is what the hole was, i seen the hole and it looked to perfect to be down to corrosion it was a perfect circle. all repleis most welcome!!!

hey folks, got the drag back today, was told the problem was with the plugs so fitted new ones!! is this a result of a fuel problem which some1 told me ??? also can any1 else with a drag xvs 125 (2004) tell me if they have drainage hole in their lower exhaust as i was told this is what the hole was, i seen the hole and it looked to perfect to be down to corrosion it was a perfect circle. all repleis most welcome!!!

hi mate, i have a 2001 and a mate has a 2002 xvs125 dragstar and yes i can confirm there is a drainage hole in the rear section of the exhaust as condensation can build up in the exhaust, i came across it like you it was a cold day and the bike was warming up while i put my helmet on when i noticed it after talking to my mate he had said not to worry he had checked his work shop manual and asked his local dealer and it was meant to be there; have not been on for a few days otherwise i could have told you.

hi mate, i have a 2001 and a mate has a 2002 xvs125 dragstar and yes i can confirm there is a drainage hole in the rear section of the exhaust as condensation can build up in the exhaust, i came across it like you it was a cold day and the bike was warming up while i put my helmet on when i noticed it after talking to my mate he had said not to worry he had checked his work shop manual and asked his local dealer and it was meant to be there; have not been on for a few days otherwise i could have told you.

thank you old timer!!! and i know from experience that you would have came to my aid sooner if you were on!!! also further up from that lil hole (drainage) there seems to be like a figure 8 indent that looks like a hole but upon further inspection (sticking a bit of a branch up it) i found this was only a couple of mills deep so no danger there, just curious as to what it might be???

also does replacing the plugs indicate that there is a problem with the fuel??? my front mud guard is still broke and during the rainy days a lot of of dirty water is flicking up onto the twins, i think this is were all my initial problems have came from!!!

again thanks old timer!!!

Chris

hi mate ,the reason i have put your quote on again is because the clues were all there the popping noise was the bike misfiring that along with the loss of power the bike getting harder to start when you come out of work.the bike was struggling as every time you used it the plugs were getting more and more fouled up,theres no hard and fixed rule with plugs if your bike is running ok then you should not have to touch them in between services but if your bike is running rich or lean then taking out your plugs and examining them will tell you a lot about what is happening.

they have now changed the plugs and put new ones in so that has sorted the problem out for now but what was causing the plugs to foul in the first place? as you are new to biking and want any advice in laymens terms its not always easy to give advice, you mention the front mudguard is broken and excess dirty water is hitting the engine its not ideal but that alone should not cause the problem if the plugs are well in, the leads can get damp and may not be giving the plugs a good enough spark, give them a good wipe over and a spray with something like wd40 to drive out any moisture. as for fuel it was only a case of your bike getting more fuel than your bike was able to manage causing the plugs to get fouled and excess fuel being sucked out further and causing the bike to misfire, keep your eye on the situation dont use your choke all the time or ride with choke on and keep an eye on your plugs A spark plug can easily and quickly tell you the condition of an engine (good or poor), how it is running (rich or lean) and how much it will cost to fix it. It is better to fix the problem than to change the sparkplug to patch it up. hope your bike is running better but dont forget there are plenty of folk on here to give you a hand with anything you want to know just ask

Check it with a colourtune kit.

Comprehensive instructions are included.

It is better to fix the problem than to change the sparkplug to patch it up. hope your bike is running better but dont forget there are plenty of folk on here to give you a hand with anything you want to know just ask

Old timer, that was some great advice you gave me thanks!!! i gave the bike a good proper clean last night and i can thankfully say its running sweet!!! i can see they have put two brand new spark plugs in (one on either side) what are the other plugs on the bike for?? i see there is a smaller one, that wasnt (didnt need??) replaced. Can i be silly andask how you go about checking the plugs, is it a case of screwing them right out?? what should i be lookign for to see if they are in good condit....

p.s (two birds with one stone) while cleanign the bike i went to the rear end where i have my saddle bags and lifted them and seen on the back mud guard there is ncie lookign strips of chrome, unfortunately these have started to to grow small bubbles of white stuff, almost liek the chrome is pitting mosst likely is, is there anu solution to this other than replacing, as i mgiht want to take my saddle bags off one day and show it off until then they are staying on lol !!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online