Down Pipe tarnish

Diver58
This post is 5583 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My youngest son in law put me on to Autosol,

Applied with "cardboard" and just keep rubbing,

A bit tedious, but an impressive Finnish,

I`ve alwaye liked that boy.

there is a product called "blu away" which gets rid of and reduces the blueing effect.

This might be a stupid question, but on another post, when i asked what to clean my downpipes with, Oldgitonabike said to put a magnet to them to find out of they are stainless steel.

The magnet sticks, well on some parts (the upper bits), and not so well on the lower bits, i've heard that stainless steel is no longer magnetic because of high carbon. Anyone know? The pipes r ten years old, with little care given to them, so they are in a pretty shit state anyway.

stainless is that because of the chrome content, alas there is different types of stainless, food grade having the most chrome content thus harder to manufacter and bend/weld/drill etc.

I have motad "stainless" which show rust in some parts.

Not all stainless steel is the same. There are so many different grades. You can get magnetic or non-magnetic, so using a magnet will not help you much.

As for tarnishing, if you are only getting it on one cylinder, it would appear you have one cylinder running hotter than the rest. Maybe your mixtures need attention, which on FI is impossible without re-mapping.

Thanks to all of you. I tried the Autosol (or at least HGs version) with Cardboard and the tarnish has gone.

I even tried it on a small part of my other halfs GSR 600 down pipes, which are more tarnish than steel, and they came clean as well.

Thanks again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online