heated grips

ST3V0
This post is 5612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok guys

my wife got me a set of Heated Grips for crimbo.....

I know nothing about wiring on a bike put it this way im ok wiring up a plug thats about it.

one thing i do know is that i dont want to go straight to the battery incase i forget to turn them off.

I have see that some people have done them in to the lights. ....is this ok?

If so is there anybody out here who can explain how to wire them into something else onto the bike

and i mean explain as if you are trying to tell an idiot lol

hope you guys can help

stevo

oh im on a FZ6 2004

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are they the market leaders 'Oxford Hot Grips' ? If so read your istructions carefully because i have heard that the controller will somehow switch them off somehow when they are not being used, dont ask me how because i dont know, but if its true it will save fitting a relay. Wiring instruction will come with the product i expect. i'm gonne get myself some soon so will be going down this route myself!

Yep, just read through the insructions and the controller will switch the grips off when the battery voltage gets to 11.5 volts, which they say is enough to re start the engine!...Read it Here ;)

Are they the market leaders 'Oxford Hot Grips' ? If so read your istructions carefully because i have heard that the controller will somehow switch them off somehow when they are not being used, dont ask me how because i dont know, but if its true it will save fitting a relay. Wiring instruction will come with the product i expect. i'm gonne get myself some soon so will be going down this route myself!

Yep, just read through the insructions and the controller will switch the grips off when the battery voltage gets to 11.5 volts, which they say is enough to re start the engine!...Read it Here ;)

No m8 they are Halfords GT moto hot grips and it dose say best to wire to ignition (which i have no clue how to do)

rather than straight to battery

No m8 they are Halfords GT moto hot grips and it dose say best to wire to ignition (which i have no clue how to do)

rather than straight to battery

Ah thats a shame, ok you can either

A; Take them back to Halfords with the receipt (unwanted gift) and then buy the Oxford ones ...or

B: Fit a relay from an ignition on live. its a bit of a rigmarole but has been done before and best if youre handy and have a bit of knowlege of things 'Electrick'

over to you

Halfords GT moto hot grips and it dose say best to wire to ignition

OK, it's not realy difficult, once you know the connections - so here goes:

1) get yourself a 4 way 12v Automotive relay from any automotive store - Halfords do them but they are expensive, LSUK (while they were still trading) di dthem for about £3. You'll need some 5 amp automotive cable and an in0line fuse holder of sorts (and a fuse!)

2) Run a pair of cables form the battery to where you want to fix the relay, one will be connected to the +ve and one to the -ve terminals on the battery. On the +ve cable you need to install the in-line fuse holder.

3) Run a cable from the brake light switch, this will be the one that goes live when the ignition is turned on. Use a piggy back connector on the front lever as it's simple and you don't need to break into the bikes wiring. You can use the rear brake light switch if you choose to place the relay under the seat - it's upto you.

4) You'll need to fit the grips as per the fitting instructions (remove old grips, glue new ones in place etc etc).

Right the realy, there are 4 connectors on it (maybe 5 - tape up the fifth one when you're done) and these are numbered 87, 86, 85 & 30 - so:

87 - this is connected to the load, or in this case the live feed to supply the grips with power (red wire on the grips)

86 - This is the ignition switched live from the brake light switch (point 3 above)

85 - this is the earth, or -ve (on most bikes) and should be connected to the -ve battery terminal

30 - this is the live feed from the battery.

So, when you've got it all connected together, switch on the bikes ignition and you should hear a faint click inside the relay, check you've got power to the grips and away you go.

Final point - the Oxford ones are by far the best on the market, but the new 2008 switches are really hard to use with your gloves on.....

Got my Wulfsport MX helmet from ghostbikes_uk, good seller, no problems what so ever :)

pity my DT is only a 6v :(...

will most likely get a 12v Suzuki TS50X or something for when i go to ireland, there were some low drain grips on ebay not too long ago so that may be something worth considering if its to go on a small bike...

Got my Wulfsport MX helmet from ghostbikes_uk, good seller, no problems what so ever :)

pity my DT is only a 6v :(...

will most likely get a 12v Suzuki TS50X or something for when i go to ireland, there were some low drain grips on ebay not too long ago so that may be something worth considering if its to go on a small bike...

its a 50cc so wont be fast, you can put your hands in your pockets.

just kidding mate. when are you coming over to ireland and where are you going?

just kidding mate. when are you coming over to ireland and where are you going?

Will be over there in May/June next year when i leave school, will be spending 2/3 weeks over there touring the southern republic .

starting in dublin, traveling to rosslare harbour, along the coast to Cork, Kenmare and up along the west coast before cutting back along the shannon estury to Dublin, possibly taking a detour to Tipperary along the way.

will be doing about 50 miles a day, giving us plenty of time to get lost/explore, wander around the towns and cities and generally get to know ireland :)

Currently only me and a mate form school going, im on my DT50MX and he is on a Suzuki RMX50

I REALLY just want to go around Northern ireland on my own though, no distractions, no internet or TV, just me, my bike and ireland. Will probably start in belfast, work my way around the northern coast and then back inland and east to belfast again within the space of 9 days, probably with a small tent for that authentic touring feel :)

Will be over there in May/June next year when i leave school, will be spending 2/3 weeks over there touring the southern republic .

starting in dublin, traveling to rosslare harbour, along the coast to Cork, Kenmare and up along the west coast before cutting back along the shannon estury to Dublin, possibly taking a detour to Tipperary along the way.

will be doing about 50 miles a day, giving us plenty of time to get lost/explore, wander around the towns and cities and generally get to know ireland :)

Currently only me and a mate form school going, im on my DT50MX and he is on a Suzuki RMX50

im up here in donegal about 3 1/2hrs drive (car) from dublin. the roads are a f****ing nightmare, like riding on a river bed,potholes/gravel everywhere. car drivers dont look for bikes and up here you have got to dodge the wild deer jumping in front of you. appart from that the scenery is amazing. good luck on your travels and keep us posted.

That bad huh? :o

well... should be an experiance then :)

EDIT: Its Norhern ireland im probably going to in February, had a bit of a blonde moment there :P

if you are going to the north then go up round the antrim coast its a great run and great scenery.

p.s. sorry ST3VO for invading your thread. i hope you have some luck with your grips.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online