stiff back wheel

Jimbosimbo
This post is 5654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

I'm havin problems with my YBR 125. The back wheel is very stif. I dont know if the break pad are locked (drum) I can move the wheel with effort. I noticed it while out riding today. When I stopped I tryed to push it and I thought the break was on. I managed to ride home with it with no burning smells but with a slight loss of performance (if I can use this word while talking about a YBR). I checked the chain and sprockets. The front sprocket was heavily clogged with gunk I cleaned this out but the whel is still stiff. Any ideas?

Cheers

Jimbo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

few pointers...

check the tyre is not rubbing on the swing arrm

is the hub hot?

My mates 125 did this and the previous owner "forgot" to replace a spacer hence the bearing totally collapsed.

chain oiled?

brake free play correct?

Loosened off free play a bit and noticed the brake peddle dose not spring back when its applied. When i lift it up the wheel turns freely and the brake camshaft lever sticks when I apply the brake as well. I dont remember if this is supposed to move. These wee bikes are supposed to be reliable!!

few pointers...

check the tyre is not rubbing on the swing arrm

is the hub hot?

My mates 125 did this and the previous owner "forgot" to replace a spacer hence the bearing totally collapsed.

chain oiled?

brake free play correct?

Loosened off free play a bit and noticed the brake peddle dose not spring back when its applied. When i lift it up the wheel turns freely and the brake camshaft lever sticks when I apply the brake as well. I dont remember if this is supposed to move. These wee bikes are supposed to be reliable!!

Sometimes the backplate camshafts go dry and stick, to test for this, push the camshaft lever with your hand untill the brake is on, then let it go...it should return to original position, if not you will have to remove your wheel+ brake backplate+shoes+camshaft, clean out the hole and camshaft, apply some grease inside the hole and on the camshaft. push the camshaft back in and wipe away any grease that gets expelled. Be careful not to get any grease on the shoes or brake drum. if you do remove the wheel, whilst its out check the foot lever is free moving as well.

it will be the drum brake.

you just need new brake shoes, the shoes are £15 + labour

its a standard service item, strip the back wheel and regrease like old git says and i would also grease the pedal pivot