SPEEDO MALFUNCTION

GRIZZLY
This post is 5666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

AFTER 5 MONTHS WORK THE XJ600 (1982) HAS JUST PASSED ITS MOT...HURRAH!!! ;)

HOWEVER THE SPEEDO HAS STOPPED WORKING, WE HAVE A NEW CABLE FITTED SO I GUESS ITS EITHER THE CLOCK ITSELF OR THE RACE IT SCREWS INTO ON THE FRONT WHEEL??

ANYWAY I CAN TEST EITHER TO FIND OUT WOT THE PROBLEM IS.....?? :blink:

I DID READ SOMEWHERE ABOUT ATTATCHING A DRILL TO THE BOTTOM AND SPINNING IT TO SEE IF THE CLOCK IS WORKING, THIS SOUND OK TO YOU GUYS OR WHAT?

CHEERS KEITH

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should be able to give it a spin with your fingers and get a result....

Speedo problems are usually the tabbed washer in the wheel itself, the tabs that engage on the speedo drive usually break off, or get bent.

You will get a reading on the clocks by just spinning the cable with your fingers as above post.

It's the drive spigot (thing with two raised bits) attached in the wheel. When it gets bent (or worse) it starts jamming in the speedo drive mechanism (the thing the cable attaches to on the wheel). replace it & it should sort the problem (had to replace mine every couple of years).

It's the drive spigot (thing with two raised bits) attached in the wheel. When it gets bent (or worse) it starts jamming in the speedo drive mechanism (the thing the cable attaches to on the wheel). replace it & it should sort the problem (had to replace mine every couple of years).

THANKS GUYS, APPRECIATE YOUR WISDOM, WILL TRY THE FINGER METHOD TO ESTABLISH THE PROBLEM AND TAKE IT FROM THERE..................... :lol:

CHEERS KEITH

THANKS GUYS, APPRECIATE YOUR WISDOM, WILL TRY THE FINGER METHOD TO ESTABLISH THE PROBLEM AND TAKE IT FROM THERE..................... :lol:

CHEERS KEITH

OK TRIED BOTH THE 'FINGER TWIRL AND THE DRILL CHUCK, CAN HEAR THE INNER WIRE TWIRLING IN THE CLOCK BUT NO MOVEMENT OF THE NEEDLE....................

BEGINS TO LOOK LIKE A CLOCK PROBLEM THEN, DOES THAT MEAN RENEWING THE ONE CLOCK OR THE WHOLE LOT, IE SPEEDO, TACHO, AND FUEL AS ONE UNIT???

NOT SURE ON THIS MODEL ...XJ600 1987..........IDEAS :angry:

CHEERS KEITH

OK TRIED BOTH THE 'FINGER TWIRL AND THE DRILL CHUCK, CAN HEAR THE INNER WIRE TWIRLING IN THE CLOCK BUT NO MOVEMENT OF THE NEEDLE....................

BEGINS TO LOOK LIKE A CLOCK PROBLEM THEN, DOES THAT MEAN RENEWING THE ONE CLOCK OR THE WHOLE LOT, IE SPEEDO, TACHO, AND FUEL AS ONE UNIT???

NOT SURE ON THIS MODEL ...XJ600 1987..........IDEAS :angry:

CHEERS KEITH

DUDE DONT SHOUT!

thats better, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XJ600-CLOCK-A...id=p3286.c0.m14

hi m8 rember to put your drill on reverse when trying the speedo..as i tryed this last week when i tryed with drill then..put the drill onto reverse and the needle on the speedo moved & the drill can pull 7mph...lol..

DOH!!! :angry:

willtry that when i get home, am away in North Yorkshire in the Camper van, monkeys welders and all that..........

cheers Keith

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online