WD40 Rules!!

Bazz
This post is 7294 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

We all spend ages cleaning our pride and joy so it looks great when we go for a raz on the twisties :D . Only trouble is that when we get back it's covered in dust, dead flies, mud and all sorts of crap! :(

When all the hard work is done, and she's gleaming like a good un, spray WD40 on almost everything, then polish it up with an old cloth!!

Might sound backward but it acheives several things;

1 - you'll be surprised just how much more crap comes off!

2 - it lubricates all those bits you couldn't reach or forgot!

3 - it repels water so keeps the electics happy and rust at bay.

4 - it leaves a thin protective film, so when you get back and have to clean your bike again, all you need is hot soapy water and the crap just washes away. Brilliant whether on a dusty summer day :D or the salted roads of winter!!!!

Of course we need to take care not to get it anywhere near the brakes, but if it does then ride with em on and it'll burn off in no time!

WD is the best i've found, but gunk is cheaper and nearly as good!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Yeah i spray all the alloy bits around the engine with the stuff to stop it corroding 8)

i use both gt85 and wd40. i also have some forgegin stuff which is absolutly superb. even when gt85 and gunk etc all fail, this stuff comes though, im pritty sure it must have to correod the plastics and metal to get the stuff off :shock: but u cant tell so thats ok :D

yes it's very good stuff for these kind of things. saved my rd for a few winters :D i have heard that proper wd40 aint all that good though, so perhaps unmutual is right.

• Admin

Whats the story with WD and seals then :shock:

Don't get it on things like fork seals etc.....apparently it has been known to eat away at the rubber.

But did you know that the WD40 now is very different from the original stuff?

Not sure in which way cos they are not too forthcoming with the exact info on the formula....but it is definitely different to the stuff in the 70's.

• Admin

Jeez... Just when i brought a new can yesterday to start up my mates sisters car! (Damp leads)

Just looking at the back and it says it contains Petroleum Distillates, this might explain the rubber eating :roll:

I blast it all over the car (cos I don't give a shit about that), but I don't put it anywhere near my bike.

Some people even spray it on their chains....which is a good way to bugger up the O rings.

I use a spray can of 3 in 1 oil for cable/mechanism lubing and GT85 for anything else.

I usually only use WD on grips when I change them or the bars :wink:

Silicone Spray for all the cables & lever pivots :wink:

& then Armor-All on just about everything else 8)

WD-40 is effective for removing crud because it's first and foremost a solvent, and a relatively strong one at that. It's VERY similar chemically to 3 parts varsol plus 1 part light oil.

It works very well as a penetrating oil or solvent, but it's not good to use it where you need real lubrication. Save it for freeing rusted fasteners and starting cars with wet cracked leads (it's very effective as a water dispersant, which is where the "WD" comes from - that's what it was originally meant for). Of course, if you've got a car that doesn't start without WD on the leads, those leads are ready for replacement. :)

I really recommend using a solvent where you want a solvent (like soap or varsol), and lubricant where you want lubricant.

Don't get me wrong - WD-40 is great for what it is meant for: penetrating oil for rusty fasteners and as a water dispersant. But it's neither fish nor foul when it comes to solvent or lubricant applications. It's much more expensive than solvent, AND leaves a film of oil on stuff like wheels and body parts, but that film isn't enough to be really effective as a rust inhibitor or lubricant.

As for Armor All on the other hand - that stuff just has no place on a bike at all... For this, I mainly have anectodal evidence, but the silicone does make stuff slippery, and on a bike, do you want your seats or hand grips to be slippery? :) And honestly, I just think that the way it chemically reacts with the stuff you apply it to, it's going to cause damage over time, not protect effectively.

Again, I can't really back this up (unlike the WD-40 stuff), but I just really think it's bad for the stuff it gets used on. What I CAN back up is that it can cause brutal fisheye problems when you go to paint a vehicle that's had Armor All used on it anywhere. The silicone is murder for this. If you use Armor All (or any similar protectant) on your bike anywhere, be sure to clean and re-clean it with a powerful solvent before you paint it.

Also be careful to keep it away from clear plastic or glass surfaces like gauge faces or windscreens - it tends to fog these up badly and it a prick to clean off.

And NEVER use any of the "tire dressing" or "tire cleaner" products on your tires. It's dangerous on a car and suicide on a bike.

I hope I don't sound like a cranky bastard here - most of these products do have their usefulness in some situations, and legions of fans who swear by 'em. But do give some thought to the chemical composition of what you use on your machinery and what the consequences are.

:)

Take it easy,

my mums tele stopped working once so she took the back off and sprayed wd40 in there its still going strong

Do you use GT85 for lubing your chain?

Do Halfords sell it?

Haven't got a chain Dave! :lol:

I suppose if you count the DT175 then I have.

No, I only use GT85 for WD40 purposes.

Chains I use PJ1 Blue.

• Admin

Well i forgot to mention have just used my nice shiney new can, on my power steering belt on my car to stop it squeaking! 8)

I really need to get a new belt as its out of adjustment, only changed it about 2 months ago, but the dicks in the shop obviously gave me the wrong one as it was nearly at the end of its adjustment when i first fitted it, i hoped it would have been ok, but has stretched too much :evil:

Vaginal Lubrication is another use.....allegedly!  :lol: 

Not sure about it's abilities as an anal lube though....I'm sure somebody here may know:lol:

Lets leave mozzy out of this ;)

hehehe:)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online