1984 Yamaha FJ600 Diversion Help

BrianMcC
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having a little bike problem here, got myself a 1984 yamaha FJ 600 Diversion she was driving fine now i can't get her to start. You can hear the battery kicking over but she wont start. I was thinking it could be 1 of 4 spark plugs. (I was told if she has 4 cylinders and one stops working she wont start.)

I cant try the spark plug method untill thursday due to lack of funds. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It does have petrol in the tank ? turn tap to reserve ? could be plugs but you would think it would attempt to start on the other cylinders

Merv

Yes mate more than half a tank of petrol. I don't think there is a tap to reserve. but surely it wouldnt start if 1 plug was out (im asuming its 1 could be more) because there is 4cylinders it would need 4 plugs to be working wouldn't it?

I won't have a chance to check/work on her untill tomorrow.

Brian

Check the electrical circuits.

You get just a buzzing of the battery, or do you get the starter motor turning too?

Have you tried bump-starting it?

Are you in Neutral?

Have you tripped the Kill Switch?

Check everything twice, even the stupid little things!!

You get just a buzzing of the battery, or do you get the starter motor turning too?

Are you in Neutral?

i know about stupid little things kill switches etc spent an hour trying to start a bike one day (big honda single on electric start)

changed plug checked wiring gve up dug out old RD 250 that had been stood under a cover in the garden for a month started second kick honda became a swear word, went out on 250 did the job i had too do got home and turned the fuel tap to reserve on the honda and it started straight away, had been away in the truck for a fortnight and forgot it was low on fuel, as well as an XS650 owner i know through the Rd forum (Snowy, you met him recently Drewpy) spent ages trying to start his XS to discover the tank was empty

merv

Are you in Neutral?

You can hear the starter motor, havnt tried bump starting it because its pretty heavy and theres no hill near me, yea shes in neutral. How would i know if the trip switch has been fooked?

Brian

Is it actually turning over most modern bikes don't crank if the kill switch is off, if it turning over whip a plug out and hold it with insulated pliers against the head on bare metal to see if you get a spark, if it sparks it is very likely fuel

Merv

Try bump-starting.

Get a mate or even a neighbour to help shove you along.

Check over the plugs themselves, too.

Check yer gap, check the condition and discolouration (couple of websites will have very useful colour piccies).

There is a trick involving a little fuel dropped into the plug socket, but I'm not too familiar with it myself.

One other thing: Always replace the cheapest part first!!!

Try bump-starting.

Get a mate or even a neighbour to help shove you along.

Check over the plugs themselves, too.

Check yer gap, check the condition and discolouration (couple of websites will have very useful colour piccies).

There is a trick involving a little fuel dropped into the plug socket, but I'm not too familiar with it myself.

One other thing: Always replace the cheapest part first!!!

my Xj900 diversion has a fuel pump 600 could be simular so as well as the HT check perhaps it might be worth checking if there is a fuel pump and if its working. It's too wet here at the mo to look at my divi to work out which wire to plug the multi meter into...

Regards Jim

Having a little bike problem here, got myself a 1984 yamaha FJ 600 Diversion she was driving fine now i can't get her to start. You can hear the battery kicking over but she wont start. I was thinking it could be 1 of 4 spark plugs. (I was told if she has 4 cylinders and one stops working she wont start.)

I cant try the spark plug method untill thursday due to lack of funds. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Forget the last post but I guess you have an XJ600 pre Diversion as you date it as 1984. or is it an FZ600 ?

Regards Jim

Forget the last post but I guess you have an XJ600 pre Diversion as you date it as 1984. or is it an FZ600 ?

Regards Jim

No Jim it's a Yamaha FJ600 Diversionshe was manufactured in 1984. Got her fixed now, took the spark plugs out and cleaned them she seems to drive fine now, altho saying that she conked out a few times before she got back to normal.

P.S any one from N.Ireland fancy a meet someday?

Brian

No Jim it's a Yamaha FJ600 Diversionshe was manufactured in 1984. Got her fixed now, took the spark plugs out and cleaned them she seems to drive fine now, altho saying that she conked out a few times before she got back to normal.

P.S any one from N.Ireland fancy a meet someday?

Brian

What's the first part of the engine number (3 digits i.e 2L8)

Regards Jim

not sure but the chasis no is JYA49

Hi Brian

Is this what your bike looks like ? or does it look like this ? If it looks like the first and is UK spec it would be an XJ600 if imported could be called FJ600.

The second picture is of a Diversion. I've searched the net trying to find FJ600 Diversion in all markets & found no reference to XJ600 Diversion until 1993 and no ref to FJ600 Diversion at all.

But what i did find was modal code JYA (means made in japan) 49A (model code) which is the modal shown in the first picture.

an imported FJ600 or uk spec XJ600

Regards Jim

Hi Brian

Is this what your bike looks like ? or does it look like this ? If it looks like the first and is UK spec it would be an XJ600 if imported could be called FJ600.

The second picture is of a Diversion. I've searched the net trying to find FJ600 Diversion in all markets & found no reference to XJ600 Diversion until 1993 and no ref to FJ600 Diversion at all.

But what i did find was modal code JYA (means made in japan) 49A (model code) which is the modal shown in the first picture.

an imported FJ600 or uk spec XJ600

Regards Jim

Hi jim its the first model, not sure but would the reg plate help?

P.s I'll take a pic tomorrow and upload it

Hi jim its the first model, not sure but would the reg plate help?

P.s I'll take a pic tomorrow and upload it

Ok Brian,

you have an imported FJ600 (known in the UK as XJ600) and not Diversion hence the chassis no starting JYA and not with the modal code (49A) which back then UK didn't have VIN in place, but if you need to order or buy bits (ebay perhaps) the UK site will know your bike as an XJ600 pre Diversion. I worked on these machines when they were current and can remember loads of data and problems that occured if you need to know anything fire away !

Regards Jim

Ok Brian,

you have an imported FJ600 (known in the UK as XJ600) and not Diversion hence the chassis no starting JYA and not with the modal code (49A) which back then UK didn't have VIN in place, but if you need to order or buy bits (ebay perhaps) the UK site will know your bike as an XJ600 pre Diversion. I worked on these machines when they were current and can remember loads of data and problems that occured if you need to know anything fire away !

Regards Jim

Hi here is a pic of her, seems to have the same problem changed the spark plugs and shes still not start, may start for a sec or two then just conk out would you have any idea mate?

Thank you so much for your help.

img00020ka0.th.jpg

Try running with fuel tap in prime, , If it starts after you leave it for a while and then konks out, This can be an indication of blocked fuel filter and you will need to check for good fuel flow from tap

DEFINITELY sounds like a likely culprit. ;)

DEFINITELY sounds like a likely culprit. ;)

Got it sorted, ended up it was a loose connection on the battery so she wasnt starting or charging.

Thank you so much, This is such a great forum :)

Brian

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online