chain problem

drprunty
This post is 5744 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am having a problem with a 78 xs400 with getting my chain tightened... When the chain is on and i rotate the wheel, there is a tight spot, meaning rotating the wheel the chain is loose most of the time then at a certain point the chain stiffens up then loosens again. I cant properly tighten it cause if I do it pulls the swing arm into the muffler.. I dont believe its the sprocket but I dont know what it is. I think maybe the chain is twisted or bent....any help would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am having a problem with a 78 xs400 with getting my chain tightened... When the chain is on and i rotate the wheel, there is a tight spot, meaning rotating the wheel the chain is loose most of the time then at a certain point the chain stiffens up then loosens again. I cant properly tighten it cause if I do it pulls the swing arm into the muffler.. I dont believe its the sprocket but I dont know what it is. I think maybe the chain is twisted or bent....any help would be appreciated.

just one of those things that happen somehow, you could try holding something near the sprockets to see if they are running off centre, but if it is too bad you may have to replace the chain, all you can do is check the slack at the tightest point in the chain run otherwise

merv

Had this before myself....Sorry to tell you, but it does sound like your chain has stretched in one place, only way to fix is to replace it really. Unfortunatly, thats what I had to do not long ago, I noticed my chain was a bit slack, so I tried to tighten it...as is yours, it would be ok in one spot, and slack in another. Hope this helps. Wait for some more replies so as to be sure.

I cant properly tighten it cause if I do it pulls the swing arm into the muffler..

the swing arm shouldn't move at all (well, except up and down! :babyha: ) which sounds like the bushes have worn and the tension is pulling the swing arm over.

a new chain is £20, but you really need to get new sprockets at the same time to minimise chain wear. there will always be a tight spot and that is where you adjust the chain so it's not over tightened and doesn't strain the output shaft.

it's 20mm movement on the XS.

Doh yes did not think about the swingarm moving, bushes must need doing, get phosphrous bronze ones if thay are the same as RD ones then Nick Chambers aka RDbitz has em on ebay

merv

Doh yes did not think about the swingarm moving, bushes must need doing, get phosphrous bronze ones if thay are the same as RD ones then Nick Chambers aka RDbitz has em on ebay

merv

they are the same bushes as the RD, i had to get mine reamed out though for the pivot

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online