bent keys

2enjoi2
This post is 5747 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

if by chance you happen to own a r6 with two bent keys and no information on the key number.... can you use the bike frame number to get a new set?

how much do they cost?

i can stil use them, but it takes 4 or 5 trys and one day it wont lol. rather that not be the day im on my 300 mile day out!

cheers

david

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if by chance you happen to own a r6 with two bent keys and no information on the key number.... can you use the bike frame number to get a new set?

how much do they cost?

i can stil use them, but it takes 4 or 5 trys and one day it wont lol. rather that not be the day im on my 300 mile day out!

cheers

david

I would take them both to a proper locksmiths, (not the guy who works from a stall in the market if you get my drift), just to see if they can help out.

I would take them both to a proper locksmiths, (not the guy who works from a stall in the market if you get my drift), just to see if they can help out.

What he said. Just ring round a few see what they say.

Failing that you might have to get a new barrel and keys offa evilbay

The frame number won't help. If you take the bike to a proper locksmiths they have master keys to fit most vehicles, that way they can just cut a copy. Alternatively you have to remove the ignition so the locksmith can locate the key number which is stamped either on the side of the barrel or the plate on the back of the ignition. Which ever way you sort it write the number down & keep for future use, just in case. Be warned doing it that way can cost up to £18 depending on the locksmith.

Or if they're not too badly damaged, you can lay them on a flat surface (the harder the better, like a genuine stone counter top) and gently straighten the keys with a hammer. I've done this a few times in the past with fairly consistent success.

Ive broke a few keys before now. Last year I broke a key to one of my panniers, I managed to get the second part out of the lock..phew..but I had an important document locked in it that I had to take to Kent, I took both bits to a locksmith mate of mine who made me a new key that fitted better than the original!!

Bent keys can have copies made, but do trust your instinct when you do get a copy made, use a good locksmith and make sure that if it dosnt fit well, that the locksmith will try to make you another copy.

I had a key made from a bent one, it took the locksmith (Not my mate) I went to, 3 trys to make a decent copy, no charge for the duff copies. The locksmith would probably use a soft jawed vice to straighten the key first. Shouldnt be a problem.