Can someone help me? 86fz600 oil coming out of crankcase breather

fz600rider
This post is 3224 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I just bought an 86 fz600. I only paid 700 bucks for it. It's piped, jetted, and all k & n intakes. It's in decent shape, you know needs basic cleaning and stuff. One problem, after it starts, it takes a little bit to really get to running good, but doesn't quite get there before shooting oil out of the crankcase breather..it will keep running but I could use some help in where I should start fixing it or at least finding out what it may be. The old owner thought it might be gas shooting out...but when I looked, the oil breather was wet with oil and dripping when I shut the bike off. All the carb intakes were dry. It has k & n air intakes thus the reason for a short crankcase breather. I could really use some help!! Thanks guys!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys,

I just bought an 86 fz600. I only paid 700 bucks for it. It's piped, jetted, and all k & n intakes. It's in decent shape, you know needs basic cleaning and stuff. One problem, after it starts, it takes a little bit to really get to running good, but doesn't quite get there before shooting oil out of the crankcase breather..it will keep running but I could use some help in where I should start fixing it or at least finding out what it may be. The old owner thought it might be gas shooting out...but when I looked, the oil breather was wet with oil and dripping when I shut the bike off. All the carb intakes were dry. It has k & n air intakes thus the reason for a short crankcase breather. I could really use some help!! Thanks guys!!

I've got the same bike & if it's got K&N's then check the main jets have been replaced with larger jets. If not the problem could just be caused by the engine over heating. Alternatively check the oil cooler's working properly. sometimes the valve behind the oil filter gets broken when over zealous replacement of the filter means the bolt is tightened too much.

Could also be something a simple as Too Much Oil in the motor? :unsure:

Hi

Maybe way off base here - but I had a similar problem with a car - have you checked your cylinder compressions? If they are low you may be getting 'blow by' where the compressed air/gas mixture blows by the piston rings and builds up pressure in the crankcase - thus forcing oil out of the breather tube. Just an idea - you did say you had only recently got the bike, so you don't know the history. It also may explain the 'hard to start' problem.

Good luck. :D

• 6 years later...

This thread is 7 years old, as you probably know, fosdyke has not been on the site since 2011 so if your waiting for an answer DON'T Right after you say "Hi" in the new members section post up your problem in the workshop and someone might remember the original fix to this problem or they might have some ideas on how to get it done.

We get loads of "one hit wonders" on here so if you choose not to say hello then lots of folks on here will choose not to say anything to you. Imagine your down the pub and you see a group of folks talking, would you say Hi first or just start asking questions? The more of your profile you fill in as well can help with information, no idea who you are or where you are can put folks off from getting involved. All you have is the bike you ride, no town no flag no gender. Just sayin ! :)

• Like 1

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 3224 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.