Concerned parents

yamaha_newbe
This post is 5800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

To my delight I found a Yamaha TZR 50, finally! To me, it looks clean and well looked after, no scratches on the fairing, 11,000 miles for an 04 plate. Basically, it's on eBay and my parents are worried because they don't know much about bikes and I haven't passed my CBT yet so I can't ride it (I would take it then buy it but it would be sold by then) and my 'rents say "we don't know what we're looking at." They are worried that I spend £1,000 on a bike then when they deliver it, it will be ok for a period of time then I'm stuck with £500 to get it road worthy. Typical parents, only really seeing it from their point of view, however I do understand what they're saying.

I'm just a bit gutted that he will let it go for £1,100 which I can luckily afford, he'll deliver it and it's not too far away. In addition, these bikes are- hard to find, especially one close to where I live- Nottingham, good price and someone who will deliver it! Not going to find one like this again, well I don't think.

Here are some pictures of it, make your own judgment!

a50c_12.JPG

bda6_12.JPG

05e8_12.JPG

Any wise words or advise? Anything I could pass on to my parents from someone who is experienced?

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is there someone that you know who owns a motorcycle who you could take to give you a second opinion?

Maybe a local bike mechanic/parts store guy/bike mot, may be ableto go with you and give there advice for a few hours labour.

If i was near nottingham, i do it for a few beer tokens :D

If you do decide you might wanna buy it, get it hpi checked or equivalent.

things to check on small bikes generally:

brakes work, with no obvious leaks of fluids!

suspension compresses and releases without lots of bounce.

chain is in good nick (not slack)and rear sprocket isnt hooked. all electrics work properly.

Starts easily (2 strokes can be hard to start if the spark plug is worn) is it two stroke or 4 stroke? i dont know much about these lil uns!

check the locks havent been forced. See if it has original manual. Ask what engine oils have bene used in it, cheap oils may knacker it.

Is it water cooled (like a car)? if yes check the coolant is topped up and not discoloured.

check who actually owns it.

there is loads of other stuff - just be careful, and remeber although it may be rare it is better to walk away if you are in any doubt than waste money on a dog.

btw your parents are just having cautios doubts - they dont want to you to be ripped off, fair play to them.

good luck! :D

Is there someone that you know who owns a motorcycle who you could take to give you a second opinion?

Maybe a local bike mechanic/parts store guy/bike mot, may be ableto go with you and give there advice for a few hours labour.

If i was near nottingham, i do it for a few beer tokens :D

If you do decide you might wanna buy it, get it hpi checked or equivalent.

things to check on small bikes generally:

brakes work, with no obvious leaks of fluids!

suspension compresses and releases without lots of bounce.

chain is in good nick (not slack)and rear sprocket isnt hooked. all electrics work properly.

Starts easily (2 strokes can be hard to start if the spark plug is worn) is it two stroke or 4 stroke? i dont know much about these lil uns!

check the locks havent been forced. See if it has original manual. Ask what engine oils have bene used in it, cheap oils may knacker it.

Is it water cooled (like a car)? if yes check the coolant is topped up and not discoloured.

check who actually owns it.

there is loads of other stuff - just be careful, and remeber although it may be rare it is better to walk away if you are in any doubt than waste money on a dog.

btw your parents are just having cautios doubts - they dont want to you to be ripped off, fair play to them.

good luck! :D

Cheers. And it's a two stroke.

Hi yamaha newbe

Both the two prev replies say take someone experienced along to inspect the bike, i will repeat the same and add that the older they are the better, (no offence but your parents will put more faith in someone older rather than just one of your mates who know a bit). I dont blame you for wanting the bike it looks absolutely fantastic, hope it looks that good in the flesh, as it were. Ask about where it was serviced and if there are service stamps in the service book.

Your parents might be worried about you wanting a bike so dont be too hard on them, try to reassure them that you will be careful and dont be a nutter when out of their sight. I'm a parent too and i was worried when my daughter started riding, but the more experience she gets the less i will worry, experience is the key to survival.

Best of luck to you :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online