Help! What do I need to do?

t20lau
This post is 5803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Last night some little f**ker tried to steel my bike, now I'm shaken and dont know what to do! The bike is secured in an alarmed shed, with a XENA alarm disc lock and a Mammoth Sold Secure Lock And Chain...

The alarm from the shed seemed to do its job and the f**ker ran away, just wondering, if anyone here has any advice on making sure my bike stays put?!

Thanks,

Tom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like its fairly safe to me, but to try to prevent unnecessary damage to said shed, I would have a sign made up to let the little thieving f**ker know how well locked and alarmed your bike is

Also get a 500W halogen light shining there if thats possible

Sounds like its fairly safe to me, but to try to prevent unnecessary damage to said shed, I would have a sign made up to let the little thieving f**ker know how well locked and alarmed your bike is

Also get a 500W halogen light shining there if thats possible

Thanks for that, I think some sort of security light is a good idea!

The XENA is wrapped around the front disc, and the Mammoth Lock and Chain the back wheel, I'd like to get something like a ground anchor in order for the chain and back wheel to be secured...but due to the shed having a wooden base such anchors wouldnt work...anyone know of something similar that would work in a shed?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks for that, I think some sort of security light is a good idea!

The XENA is wrapped around the front disc, and the Mammoth Lock and Chain the back wheel, I'd like to get something like a ground anchor in order for the chain and back wheel to be secured...but due to the shed having a wooden base such anchors wouldnt work...anyone know of something similar that would work in a shed?

Thanks,

Tom

Claymores......placed around the shed.......they wont do it again. . .

Putting a security light up is a very good idea, make sure the wiring and the light itself cant be accessed easily. A large paving stone with holes drilled into it to put your ground anchor through. We`ve done that in my mates garage with a wooden floor.

All else fails...put it in your house. Thats where mine are :lol:

Claymores......placed around the shed.......they wont do it again. . .

Putting a security light up is a very good idea, make sure the wiring and the light itself cant be accessed easily. A large paving stone with holes drilled into it to put your ground anchor through. We`ve done that in my mates garage with a wooden floor.

All else fails...put it in your house. Thats where mine are :lol:

I'll have a look into doing that...

I think for peace of mind having some sort of imoveable object to lock the bike to would be all i can do!

If it didnt take 10mins to get the back in and 10mins to get the bike out i'd have it in the house too ;)

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Guys,

Last night some little f**ker tried to steel my bike, now I'm shaken and dont know what to do! The bike is secured in an alarmed shed, with a XENA alarm disc lock and a Mammoth Sold Secure Lock And Chain...

The alarm from the shed seemed to do its job and the f**ker ran away, just wondering, if anyone here has any advice on making sure my bike stays put?!

Thanks,

Tom

Bad luck Tom,

This happened to me in February, tried to relieve me of my TTR, it was only when the dogs bounced of the back door that I was woke up. nearly got the little tw@s too - if I'd had a bit more on than my birthday suit (stop it!).

I replaced the car port gate with a big (phukoff) door, made it myself out of 2x3 and gravel board. I put some steel into the frame too so even setting fire to it won't let them get the bikes past it. lots of locks, different types.

Now to the Garage, again I reinforced the door with steel stips and fitted a pair of dead bolts into the door. I fitted a pucker alarm system, the type you'd use for a house (there are wireless battery powered ones you can use - very loud indeed, from Yale. You can get then from B&Q).

And the bikes, each one has it's own ground anchor for the rear wheels, then the front wheels are chained together too.

You can put as many barriers as you can, if they want your bike they'll get it. What they don't want to do is make noise, so the key is to use a layered approach to security:

1) Outer barrier, make sure this is reasonably well secure (stops the opportune thief) and creats lots of noise when breached. There is a product call Alarm Mines, it uses a trip wire connected to a blank shotgun cartridge - very loud, not reccomended if you or your family have a heart condition. Cost a few quid from the internet (try a google search)

This area is the bit around your house/shed. Thorn bushes at walls and fences are good, look at garden gates, that sort of thing.

2) Inner Barrier, here you need to delay them as long as possible. Mix your products well, home made devices are even better as a thief won't have come across them before. Time is the key here. Reinforce the inside of the shed door, pay attention to the hinges and lock areas. Get it alarmed so that when the door is opened the sounder goes. Sheds can get partially opened so if the alarm goes off here all the better.

3) Bike Sercurity. Ground Anchors are the best. If the shed has a wooden floor, break through it and dig a hole - make sure you taper the walls so it's wider at the bottom, then fill it with concrete (again you can get bags of this from B&Q, Wickes etc) let it set , hard. Get a good quality ground anchor (Oxford do a Gold Standard one for about £50) and fix it, it should have steel balls to put into the allen head screws after installation, the Oxford one has metal plugs to seal the whole thing in too - it's a good product. Then you need a really good chain and lock, go for the best you can afford.

Finally, Consider your riding, take a note of who's behind you on your way home, watch for car/bike (yes some bikers steel bikes too!)/van etc following you. Some basic counter surveillance works, go around the second to last roundabout twice, go around the block, stop for a minute then go again that sort of thing. Anonymity is your best weapon.

Oh, and if the shed has a window - cover the bike

If it's any consolation, it took me weeks before I started to calm down - even now if the dogs are unsettled I'll go for a walk about to see who's about, and in the dark hours I'm not adverse to asking complete strangers what they are doing on the street!, if that's not your 'bag' make some brief conversation, thieves don't like being placed somewhere....... Although a hole in the ground is the best place for them IMO.... ;)

Darren

Set up a small camera to a cheap (Tescos £30) video recorder.

Once you have some video evidence, trawl the local Chav haunts looking for the toerag, when you track the Sh!7forbains down "Explain" why it is not a good idea to revisit the aforementioned shed.

Then offer to pay for his taxi to casualty! B)

Luckily we have four Police personnel in our immediate family, and are well known to the local ne`er do wells, who prefer to give our area a wide berth.

You need to team up with your neighbors, and more importantly their children, to get your area known as a zero tolerance zone. Forget all the NW. stuff, teenagers passing the word is far better

I would also just like to add that if you have tools lying about in your garage, it's a good idea to keep it locked up. What's the point in having all the security fitted, but you leave the tools to break it nearby!

Another thing that might give it away that you have a bike in hiding is to make your garage door look like it's hiding something. I know this is a tough one, how do you keep your baby safe, but stay hidden?

The other big giveaway is giving your baby a nice lovely bath on the driveway.

I know I don't have the answers, but I thought I'll just mention it...

PS: Maybe you should consider getting a pair of pit bulls ( with AIDS and RABIES ) to guard your bike!

pasteur_rabid_dog.jpg

Or if you want to be a bit different, make out to be a poisonous snake collector so that you have a BIG WARNING SIGN on your garage door to comply with UK LAW...

Product_MVHR637_320106.jpg

--- Just had a thought now... just want to check if my bike is still... WHAT THE F....!

Here's some more examples:

sign-trespass-shot-survivors-warnin.jpg

warning01.jpg

Lindsay_Lohan_crash_sign.jpg

sign01.JPG

I'll have a look into doing that...

I think for peace of mind having some sort of imoveable object to lock the bike to would be all i can do!

If it didnt take 10mins to get the back in and 10mins to get the bike out i'd have it in the house too ;)

Thanks,

Tom

One more valuable piece of information, keep the keys to your bike , shed , locks etc very well hidden or locked away, I got burgled last year and despite my garage being like fort knox once they had the keys taking the bike was easy, they are now locked in a combination saf when not in use but too little too late

Another thing that might give it away that you have a bike in hiding is to make your garage door look like it's hiding something. I know this is a tough one, how do you keep your baby safe, but stay hidden?

That's the problem with the Garage Door Defenders, they are all on the outside - Doh! so the old thief has all the time he/she wants to work on it.

and for some reason they are nice and bright - not sure what the suppliers are thinking about here.

To add to my previous post, there are 'driveway' alarms you can get, sort of outside pir things that set off a door bell type device. The police crime prevention guy offered me one, but to be honest I though it a bit daft (everytime a dog pee'd on my gate post it would go off!) but on reflection, one covering the garage door wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe some boiling oil above the door, just to help keep the thief warm on cold winters nights ..........

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online