New boy (if 39 can be called boy!)

Gas up - Let's Go!
This post is 5710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there fellow riders, B)

After owning a TT600RE for 6 months, and having just weighed my Honda XL1000 Varadero in against a lovely XT660Z (well, it's not everyones cup of mint tea!) I though I'd jump in and join this forum.

2008-XT660Z-Tenere.jpg

I tried to find a picture of the right colour but Yamaha just don't have one on thier site - probably cos it looks crap in Desert Khaki (in a picture).

Anyway, I pick the bike up on Friday and I hope it's all it's hyped to be as I'm off on a mega-trip in the summer, if you are at all interested, you could visit my website and find out more : Smokingtailpipes If you'd like to leave a message, use the contact buttons.

Darren ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So, I picked up the bike on Friday afternoon, and managed to stick 138 miles on it before bedtime....

Saturday afternoon (after some forced shopping!) out again and another 150 miles on the clock.

This bike is stonking, there is nothing I don't like about it. It's the little things Yamaha have thought about, from the mirrors (there is no blind spot!) to the spring loaded gear lever, the screen is way better than some of the bigger screens I've had on other bikes, the ride is brilliant - and you get some long hard looks too, mind it does look something like a cross between Judge Dread and Terminator!

P6130083.jpg

I even took it onto a trail, just a short one, 12 miles of forest track around Kielder Forest, the only fault I can find is the footpegs don't give much feedback whilst standing, then again I did leave the rubber covers on. Maybe change them for some nice wide off-road pegs....

Just waiting for the luggage to arrive now...

Im not a trail-type bike fan, but i must say that is one very nice looking bike indeedy!

And welcome to the forum Darren ;)

What ho, youngster. Welcome. Any age below 40-something constitutes kid, as far as I'm concerned.

Yours, old gittingly,

Steve

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

What ho, youngster. Welcome. Any age below 40-something constitutes kid, as far as I'm concerned.

Yours, old gittingly,

Steve

what does that make me I am only 19

Yours, old gittingly,

Steve

Ta very much.. B)

I'll look at this everytime the wife calls me a miserable old git :noevil:

this is really cool. i have thought about getting an enduro bike for a while already. it's like a SUV of motorcycles and i'm all about SUVs (<--- mother nature cries) i almost bought an Aprilia Pegaso Trail this spring.

this is really cool. i have thought about getting an enduro bike for a while already. it's like a SUV of motorcycles and i'm all about SUVs (<--- mother nature cries) i almost bought an Aprilia Pegaso Trail this spring.

The bike will be going through Estonia in late August, en-route between Finland and Latvia, why not cheer me along :yay:

Actually, the bike will be going -> UK, France, Luxenbourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark,Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, France (again) Spain and finally Portugal.

Anyone want to come to see some daft brit trying to do 9000 miles in 25 days is more than welcome :grouphug::crazy::rah:

The bike will be going through Estonia in late August, en-route between Finland and Latvia, why not cheer me along :yay:

i'll be waiting and ride along for a couple of miles perhaps :D

Those Boorman & MacGregor chaps have a lot to answer for.....

Actually, the idea of just getting on a bike and going has always had appeal. For the current TDM, I fitted an AutoCom system because the other half decided she DID like going out on it but would enjoy it more if she could converse once in a while. She also planted the idea of a bike trip into Europe, which I'm naturally up for. Only a long weekend to start with, though; I want to make sure she's still happy when we're done, first time around.

what does that make me I am only 19
Er, fœtus perhaps? ;). Nah - any age under 40 is a child for one such as I. Old git, remember?

Actually, the idea of just getting on a bike and going has always had appeal.

It's great fun, well once you overcome your demons....

I did it at Easter, booked the tunnel, had a destiantion and went for it - have a read Smokingtailpipes.com. Still not sure if I ever did the right thing putting it on the web, but hey hoy, :whatever: as my daughter would say.

I use the "plan for all eventualities, but don't make plans" rule - I'd like to think it's character building (!)

BTW - it's all for charity, so go on, donate a few quid :twocents: The link to JustGiving is on the site.

Your lying you dnt look old enuff

Awwww :wub:

You smooth talker you!

(it's true though - same age as me, but you must have had an easier paper round)

• 2 months later...

Hello there fellow riders, B)

After owning a TT600RE for 6 months, and having just weighed my Honda XL1000 Varadero in against a lovely XT660Z (well, it's not everyones cup of mint tea!) I though I'd jump in and join this forum.

2008-XT660Z-Tenere.jpg

I tried to find a picture of the right colour but Yamaha just don't have one on thier site - probably cos it looks crap in Desert Khaki (in a picture).

Anyway, I pick the bike up on Friday and I hope it's all it's hyped to be as I'm off on a mega-trip in the summer, if you are at all interested, you could visit my website and find out more : Smokingtailpipes If you'd like to leave a message, use the contact buttons.

Darren ;)

Welcome back from your adventure Darren, Major test of mind, body and machine...Well done

:hail::hail::hail:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online