Hi

XS Pixie
This post is 5830 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Thought I had better say hello. New to the forum and returning to biking after a bit of a break.

This year will be the 30th anniversary of the year that I was first legally able to ride a bike on the queens highway, so to celebrate I thought it would be appropriate to return to the road on the same make of bike, from the same era, that got me on the road in the first place (what would we have done without Fizzy's?)

The bike I have chosen to do a restoration on is a '79 XS 650 SE (really wanted a '78 but couldn't find a good complete one without paying daft money and the '79 one came along for the right money) Hopefully I will be able pick peoples brains on here when I no doubt become stumped with various issues and look forward to contributing to the forum.

Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Mark, thwelcomesmile1.gif to the forum. My Yam DT175MX is 29 years old this year, and ive had it from new, great little bike. ^_^

Thanks for the welcome, had a couple of 175 MX's when you could buy them new, great little bike and was on my short list for the new project.

Hello there. Welcome, welcome, welcome, etc.

I saw your XS 650 SE avatar and came over all nostalgic, like. That was my first "proper" bike, albeit an '82 model. It differed from the earlier ones by having a drum rear brake ('70s disc were cr@p, after all. Yamaha acknowleged that by putting a drum brake back in) and handlebars with less wrist-breaking twist on them.

Handling was terrifying but that old beast could tow a caravan. The exhausts rotted a month after the warranty ended (standard stuff back then), so I replaced it with an Alpha 2-1 lunatic exhaust. My old man was NOT pleased.

Happy dayz