help for new biker

mikenunan
This post is 5830 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just got my full licence.

I live in south west france near the pyrenees. lots of mountain roads, occasional dirt track,occasional short motorway trip.

i plan to ride the bike with a pillion alot of the time.

I looked at the BMW f650gs and was cramped two up and didnt have the power i want.

750 Xtz super teneres are very popular here it is easy to find low milage bikes in great nick can anyone tell me more about these bikes, How comfortable are they? is it a good alrounder, what are its shortfalls, ect

What about the TDM would this be a good bike for around here can it handle a track road?

Love the Fazer 600, would this bike struggle in the mountains.

Tanks for any advice

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum!

For bike seat comfort, only you can tell whether it is right. If you live in a mountainus region, you will need a bike with alot of torque (Nm) so two up on a fz600 would not be ideal.

I suspect that a 1000 cc bike might be what you need.

Hi the XTZ is a good bike but they can burn/use alot of oil, strip their output shaft and loose the front sprocket, and the frames can crack in extreme cases. the bike you need is a TDM 900 as they are excellent and cheap to buy (in the uk anyway)and are great on the road and good enough on a dirt track.

Hi the XTZ is a good bike but they can burn/use alot of oil, strip their output shaft and loose the front sprocket, and the frames can crack in extreme cases. the bike you need is a TDM 900 as they are excellent and cheap to buy (in the uk anyway)and are great on the road and good enough on a dirt track.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look at a 93 850 TDM with 33000km this evening! is there anything in particular I should watch out for!

Michael

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look at a 93 850 TDM with 33000km this evening! is there anything in particular I should watch out for!

Michael

Hi Michael. Welcome. I too would recommend the TDM. However, be a little wary of the 850, which is not the bike the 900 is. Handling is not so good (steel frame on 850 vs aluminium cast frame on 900) and the gearbox is a bit poo, if truth be told - very agricultural. Make sure you're happy with the gear selection, as it can be very crunchy on an 850. Also check for the suspension condition.

Both versions have buckets of torque, though. My 900 is all-day comfortable and can be ridden 10+ hours at 80 mph/130 kph with no ill-effects. My other half has no complaints about the rear half of the saddle, either. The bike is barely affected with passenger and luggage and returns 50+mpg (5.1 l/100 km), giving me about a 230 mile / 370 km range.

Finally, I would recommend you check out the Carpe TDM website, too; it's devoted entirely to all versions of the model.

Hi Michael. Welcome. I too would recommend the TDM. However, be a little wary of the 850, which is not the bike the 900 is. Handling is not so good (steel frame on 850 vs aluminium cast frame on 900) and the gearbox is a bit poo, if truth be told - very agricultural. Make sure you're happy with the gear selection, as it can be very crunchy on an 850. Also check for the suspension condition.

Both versions have buckets of torque, though. My 900 is all-day comfortable and can be ridden 10+ hours at 80 mph/130 kph with no ill-effects. My other half has no complaints about the rear half of the saddle, either. The bike is barely affected with passenger and luggage and returns 50+mpg (5.1 l/100 km), giving me about a 230 mile / 370 km range.

Finally, I would recommend you check out the Carpe TDM website, too; it's devoted entirely to all versions of the model.

thanks for the input. the 900 is a bit out out of my budget at the moment. I dont have the patience to save for a newer bike whilst watching the spring and summer slip away without a ride!

I will let you know how i get on with the 850.

My uncle has a FZR 600. He loves his. He has had it for a good 5 years probably more and he has been many places on it.

He has been to france a few times from Manchester right down to the south of France and his bike is still fine!

He also goes to Wales a lot throught the hills etc. Hes actually thinking of buying the new model of the FZR so i think this bike would be good enought for the hills and very long rides!! not to sure about dirt roads though...

He also takes his MRS everywhere on it (south of France) so its ideal for 2 people travelling far.

Hope this helps!!

i like the fazer but ive not ridden one yet ,,,,,,,,,,,, i think the tdm maybe to high for me & my o h we are both short .

best off luck finding the bike you want :rolleyes: