alloy xs wheels !

xs360
This post is 5848 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i found these on ebay for the princely sum of £20 ...

don't know which model they are for but they've got to be worth it ??

xswheels.jpg

if anyone needs them just holler :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

xswheels.jpg

that's a wheely good deal!!!

Got 2 sets me-self

that's a wheely good deal!!!

Got 2 sets me-self

ive been considering switching to the alloys (would love not having to mess with spoke tension), but i really like the way the spoke wheels look on this bike.

oh, this is :offtopic: but drewpy, looking at the disc brakes on those wheels reminded me of something, you mentioned that you switched to a dual front disc setup on your bike, did you have to modify the front spindle(might be the wrong word - the post that holds the wheel on) or fork spacing to fit it? mine has the tach gear on the left hand side, and i was looking at it trying to figure out how to fit up a second disc on the other side.... the lower stanchion has the mounting holes for the caliper so that wouldnt be the problem. it would be nice to switch to a rear disc as well instead of the drums...

sorry for the hijack though, im assuming that they are off of maybe a 400 or a 360 since the rear tire looks relatively small.... my rear is a 4x18 (100/90-19), and that one just looks almost like the same size (but not quite) as the front.

ive been considering switching to the alloys (would love not having to mess with spoke tension), but i really like the way the spoke wheels look on this bike.

oh, this is :offtopic: but drewpy, looking at the disc brakes on those wheels reminded me of something, you mentioned that you switched to a dual front disc setup on your bike, did you have to modify the front spindle(might be the wrong word - the post that holds the wheel on) or fork spacing to fit it? mine has the tach gear on the left hand side, and i was looking at it trying to figure out how to fit up a second disc on the other side.... the lower stanchion has the mounting holes for the caliper so that wouldnt be the problem. it would be nice to switch to a rear disc as well instead of the drums...

sorry for the hijack though, im assuming that they are off of maybe a 400 or a 360 since the rear tire looks relatively small.... my rear is a 4x18 (100/90-19), and that one just looks almost like the same size (but not quite) as the front.

xs's have 18" front and rear except customs and their derivitives which have 16" rear but higher profile tyres.

19" is for xs650,750, 850, 1100's

to convert to twin disk;

there is a plastic blanking plug on the other side of the hub (spoke or alloy) which is pulled off (it will probably break off in bits) there you will find the drilled holes for another disk.

you also need an SR500 caliper and caliper mount (it says "L" on it for left) SR's have their single disk on the opposite side as our bikes.

and you need an XS1100 brake master cylinder to push more fluid to counteract the extra brake piston.

Keep the wires they are much nicer and I spent over £400 converting mine last year with flanged ally rim and stainless spokes. my wires are significantly lighter than the original aloys.

xswheels.jpg

hi, can a tubeless tire, such as a Metzeler Lasertec, be used on those allow rims and of course, use the wheel without a tube ?

regards,

Aris.

regardless of whether they are alloys or not , or indeed tubeless or not ,

i always use an inner tube anyway :huh:

hi, can a tubeless tire, such as a Metzeler Lasertec, be used on those allow rims and of course, use the wheel without a tube ?

regards,

Aris.

you need a tubeless wheel and a tubeless tire to work, XS400 wheels are tubed.

you need a tubeless wheel and a tubeless tire to work, XS400 wheels are tubed.

oh ok, thanks.

btw, I'm new to the club and I recently bought from a friend a 1977 Yamaha XS500 D with 3,473 original miles. He acquired it from the original owner over a year ago and prior to that it was sitting in a garage since 1981. He got it running and changed all the fluids. It even had the original Bridgestone tires with 19" front and 18" wheels rear until I replaced them with the Metzeler Lasertec. Hence, my post regarding tubeless tires with the wheels.

I took the bike apart and I'm in the process of cleaning/polishing the components before assembling it together.

Overall, the Yamster is in excellent condition and I'm hoping to get her running come Spring riding weather.

Aris :)

you are one very lucky biker indeed !!

:blink:

you are one very lucky biker indeed !!

:blink:

thanks, I'll post a pic after it is all assembled including the Vetter Windjammer III and Denfeld hard side bags (made in West Germany at the time) that came with the bike when it was purchased from the dealer.

• 1 month later...

xswheels.jpg

Definitely cheap! That's for 1979 XS110 US version. That's the pair that im using!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online