xj600 starting problems

Lost in Devon
This post is 5910 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i am having trouble starting my 1991 xj600n. it is turning over but not firing up. i know it's not the battery as is new but i have no idea where to look next to fix this fault.

any help will be greatly recieved

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

chack the basics first.

1. it turns over

2. there is a spark

3. there is fuel

Once you know you have yes/no answers to the basics then the actualy fault tends to be easier to find.

i am having trouble starting my 1991 xj600n. it is turning over but not firing up. i know it's not the battery as is new but i have no idea where to look next to fix this fault.

any help will be greatly recieved

Hi first make sure that you are getting fuel to your carbs,Turn your fuel off drain your float bowls then turn your fuel back on and see if petrol is coming out the drain screws that you have just removed,if the answear is yes then remove the plugs and fit them into the plug leads and one at a time earth them out to the head and turn the motor over and see if they spark (remembering to make sure the plugs are good and useing something insulated to hold the plug to the head) If one or two plugs are not fireing then chances are one of your coils is duff ! if all of the plugs are not sparking it is extremly unlikely that both coils are gone and i would next check to make sure that your kill switch has not earthed out or that there is not a problem with one of the coil pick ups? If all these check out then it is your CDI/Ignition module.

If at all possible try and borrow and swap any parts that you think might be duff from a running /donar bike before spending lots of money on parts like coils,pick ups and ignition module's

hope this helps

regards Billa65t