First timer with a silly question...

newguy76
This post is 5867 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dude, I have been trying to start my motorcycle all freakin morning. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? I'm pulling the choke, twisting the petcock, squeezing the clutch, giving it throttle, but when I turn the ignition key I'm not getting any lights on my dash. Is it the battery?

The only thing I haven't done is kickstart. Help!

I bought this used from a guy two months ago and had it shipped to Los Angeles where I just arrived to be with the bike. So I've only had it in my actual possession for a day.

My buddy who checked it out for me took a ride and said it started easy. WHat am I doing wrong? I should also add that I've never been on a bike before today.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Has the bike got a kill switch on the bar controls

yep, that will help!

My friend brought his bike round the other day for me to put on a new exhaust. he was knackered cause he had just pushed it 1/2 mile as it wouldn't start. yes you guessed it, the kill switch was turned to off :D

Has the bike got a kill switch on the bar controls

If you mean the little switch that says Engine run? Yeah, and I have had it switched to "run"

This is so frustrating. Thanks for the help guys.

:)

PS. I should mention the bike is a 1977 Yamaha xs400.

If you mean the little switch that says Engine run? Yeah, and I have had it switched to "run"

This is so frustrating. Thanks for the help guys.

:)

PS. I should mention the bike is a 1977 Yamaha xs400.

Even with the kill switch in the off position, lights should come on. No lights sounds like you need to take the battery in to be checked. Check plugs for spark. If you don't know when they were last replaced, new points and spark plugs wouldn't hurt. If all of that checks out, you could try checking the wiring for shorts and disconnects.

Going back to the first post, you bought it a couple of months ago and just had it shipped. Well if its just been stood i guess the battery will be totally flat, they are small batteries and wont hold a charge for to long.

Going back to the first post, you bought it a couple of months ago and just had it shipped. Well if its just been stood i guess the battery will be totally flat, they are small batteries and wont hold a charge for to long.

yup yup... especially if its the type where you can manually adjust the acid/water levels.

a charger is a good purchase.

Also check fuses, as they can corrode and prevent electrical contact. Take each one out and rub with wire wool on fuses and inside clips

Also check fuses, as they can corrode and prevent electrical contact. Take each one out and rub with wire wool on fuses and inside clips

Hi.

Get yourself a volt meter and test light. Cheap little items but Ive found they make checking electrics easy ie checking battery voltage , charging rate, making sure power is getting to where its ment to be. Cheers

could just try reconnecting the battery. if they have followed the international shipping laws the bike isnt allowed to be shipped LIVE so to speak. normally the possitive side is disconnected.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. As it turned out it was only the battery. I removed it and cleaned it and now my little red rocket purrs. Thanks to all! I'm sure I'll be asking about more stuff like the newbie that I am. :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online